Just ordered my 4.30's...some questions

COBRA98

Established Member
What do I need to correct the speedo? I heard a 23 tooth will still be off. But I don't know if I want to spend $150 on a Speedo corrector b/c I will probably get a chip down the road.

I heard these 4.30 gears really open up the 4V. I really can't wait. With traction how much should my e.t improve?

scjmach1

Established Member
When I installed 4.10's in my car I changed the speedo gear but it seemed to wear out fast. I pulled it out after a few thousand miles and all of the gears were worn down. I heard this was a problem with them. I installed the stock gear and changed to the Abbot speed compensator.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Abbot ERA... A few places sell them. I think I got a link somewhere around here... I'll be back if I find it.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Brothers Warehouse sells a compensator for under 100.00 It still performs the same function.
With traction is one thing, but how hard are you willing to push the car? It could be from 3 tenths to a second depending on your driving styles between your last pass (without gears) and your next pass (with gears)

COBRA98

Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
Brothers Warehouse sells a compensator for under 100.00 It still performs the same function.
With traction is one thing, but how hard are you willing to push the car? It could be from 3 tenths to a second depending on your driving styles between your last pass (without gears) and your next pass (with gears)

Is the brothers compenstor as good as the Abbot?

I run my car up to 7000rpms. Could gears really gain me a full second in the quarter?

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I think Brothers is selling the Speed CAL unit. It is a direct plug-in unit. It's $80.00 in their catalog. LOOK HERE FOR INFO

Going to that big of a gear can give you that much of a gain, but not always. Especially if the car never went it's best before you swapped the gear. Traction will be an issue I'm sure though.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
If you didn't, or whoever installed didn't do it...
remove the "dog-bone" mount from under the pumpkin for a weight savings. Since you swapped gears, it is now useless under there. It looks like a dog-bone and has 2 bolts in it.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Yep you're right. It is just there to reduce vibration. It is set for the stock gear, so changing the gear renders this thing useless. Good call.

Users who are viewing this thread