Just my luck... Radiator question?

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
The other day I was pulling my crank balancer off and one of the bolts broke off the tool and shot into my radiator which punctured a hole in it.

I noticed that the '07-'12 and the '13+ radiators are the same price. I could not find out if they are any different or if it is a direct retrofit. I did find out the 2013+ fan is better and can be retrofitted to the older GT500's though. If the 2013 does not fit should I just get a stock radiator or is the Fluidyne any better?The Fluidyne is only $60 more than the stocker so I was thinking of going that route. A couple people said to get the radiator repaired but I would rather just get a new one.
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I have talked to a couple people and they said to just order the stocker.
I am still undecided between the Fluidyne and the stock unit. I am kind of leaning towards the stock '07.
Anyone suggestions?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I wonder what's the difference between the 13 compared to the older ones

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
After some more digging I have found out that the replacement part numbers for the radiator and the fan of the older model GT500's have been upgraded to the 2013+ parts. In other words the factory radiator I just ordered is from the '13-'14 GT500. I ordered the fan also since it is more efficient and cools faster/better. My car should be happy with the new parts combined with the Reische t-stat and revan H/E with fans. Anyone have a "how to" on the radiator replacement? Does the front fascia have to come off?

Last edited:

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
What does the stock one run? Have you looked at c&r that van sells?

Stock 2013 radiator cost me $375ish. The fan assembly was $165ish.

Vans is a quality piece that has been proven on the race track to keep temps way down but I couldn't justify spending $850 for the type of driving I do. I do have his H/E with fans and it is one of the first mods every GT500 should have. It seems that most new GT500 owners just throw a '13 tvs and a tune on and totally neglect all the other mods that should be done first. People seem to chase HP numbers before everything else.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I wonder what's the difference between the 13 compared to the older ones

I can't find anything yet but the part number for the 2007 radiator has changed a couple times so they might have evolved over time. When my 2013 radiator comes in I will look for visual defferences.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I can't find anything yet but the part number for the 2007 radiator has changed a couple times so they might have evolved over time. When my 2013 radiator comes in I will look for visual defferences.

It would be great to get some pics side by side too

fullboogie

Established Member
Any decent radiator shop will solder that up for you for little cost. I've done it a dozen times over the years, and never had a problem with a repaired radiator.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Buy a C&R
The stockers will eventually split on the side where the plastic joins
the aluminum. Nice design

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
My plan was to document everything and take detailed pictures for the forum but that didn't happen. A bolt I was waiting for did not get delivered on time so I had to drive 50 miles to get it at another dealership. It would have been a fairly quick trip but a bus overturned on the freeway and injured a bunch of people so the freeway was closed and I was stuck in traffic all day. When I finally got home I had to install everything super fast.

Here are the 2007 and 2013 radiators. The 2013 is on the bottom. It appears to be a little larger. I asked my brother to look and he said it looks a little larger as well. It could also have looked larger because it is shiny and new. I did not measure it because I was running short on time and had to install it quickly.
20130822_193151.jpg

Here are the two fans. The 2013 is on the right. The major noticeable difference is the fan. I read that it is more powerful and moves a lot more air. It was getting dark at this point so I didn't really compare the two. I read that there are little ports that open on the shroud that help cool the radiator but I didn't look that close. I grabbed my phone and shot a very quick pic.
20130822_205356.jpg

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
That looks like a 2012 fan to me. The 2013 has seven fan blades and slotted doors on the bottom of the shroud. I'll take pics of mine tomorrow.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
That looks like a 2012 fan to me. The 2013 has seven fan blades and slotted doors on the bottom of the shroud. I'll take pics of mine tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up! I looked up some pics and you might be right. I saw the frpp fan assembly and it looks different and has some doors on the bottom. The one I bought has a different looking motor but has six blades and a couple extra mount things on the bottom. My parts guy said the part number had changed so maybe the one I have has the upgraded motor (maybe that happened in the 2012). Is the performance package one different? I am going to check with him and hopefully I can take this one back. I will update the thread in a couple days when I find out more.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Update!
If you call and order the '13 Upgraded fan for your 07-12 the fan you will get is the one up above with 6 blades and the new motor (not the one you want). You must order the one for the 5.8l engine. The part number is only different by one letter. It has a D instead of a B
The correct part # is DR3Z-8C607-A this is for the 7 blade fan with the trap doors in the 2013 GT500. I tried using the part number that some of the vendors use and I had 5 Ford dealers tell me it was not coming up in the system. That # is M-8C607-MSVT.

Here are some side by side pics. Not only does it move more air and have trap doors but it is also over 1 pound lighter and smaller.
20130826_173335.jpg

20130826_173254.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread