Just missed the 11s with a new tune

Jdm351

Established Member
I am finding out how hard it really is to hit the 11s. Went to Wild Horse Pass in Phoenix today, air was decent, prep was ok. Maybe with 3.55s or 3.73s i would get a good et improvement (has anyone compared their car with gear swap only from 3.31s?), but the future holds forced induction, so i really don't thnk I want to do that. I had about half tank of fuel, weighs 3720 with me in it, the stock 18 inchers out front. Mods as listed are bias ply et streets, dynomax axle back, and AED 91 octane tune. DA was around 1000 ft.

With some guys on here running 11s on stock tune and tire, I hoping to make it happen today. I am nonetheless impressed with these cars and mine. But I also cringe each time launch hard. I think about my drive to work the next day and get a little fearful of broken parts.

My previous best before the tune was 12.50 @ 111. 60 ft became so much easier with the tune (1.80 previous best, and 1.68 with the tune) and MPH was instantly up 2 mph (I did a back-to-back at the track in early November stock vs AED).

12.13.15 timeslip 12.01.jpg

q6543

Established Member
What's your launch rpm?

You've got everything there to run deep in the 11s., look into a wotbox and get your powershift on.

5lho

Established Member
I did 11s on the Procal tune in a full weight, fully loaded Mt82 3.73 car 12 with a slick. No powershift needed. You can do it!

Jdm351

Established Member
I really am thinking your 3.73 helps a lot. What 60 did you have on your 11.9 pass?

5lho

Established Member
I really am thinking your 3.73 helps a lot. What 60 did you have on your 11.9 pass?

Not as much as you might think. 3.73s forced a 28" tire so I could stay in 4th before the strip on the stock rev limiter. 3.55s would be about perfect and would allow the more common 26" tire. The Hoosier slick is the best I have ever tried and I've used several different brands of drag tires over the years.

1.6 sixty on the stock BBP suspension and bars. 4500 rpm clutch drop. It would dead hook up to 6K but it didn't 60 any faster.

Forced331

Established Member
I have the same exact combo but with the brembo's and 19's. Ran many 12.0's at 113-114 with 3:31 gears. Recently I added a lethal h pipe and ran a best of 11.79@116.

ziggity

Established Member
Your 60 is good but you need a little more mph and youll be there. I ran 11.97@115 with a 1.7 60. (3.55s)

q6543

Established Member
I'm thinking your car might be too heavy with options and add ons.

spare tire and trunk cleared out?
How about that front sway bar and z brace?
Pull the pass and rear seats.
Try running with and without your axle back.

now your in the 11.8 range.

Last edited:

5lho

Established Member
No frickin' way too heavy. I did this on my fully loaded MT '12 GT with every option in the book, on the softest tune out there. It's totally possible without stripping the car.

Jdm351

Established Member
I have the same exact combo but with the brembo's and 19's. Ran many 12.0's at 113-114 with 3:31 gears. Recently I added a lethal h pipe and ran a best of 11.79@116.

Well, good to know I am not alone. I am keeping the cats for stink purposes. I may try some hi-flows. Do you still have the stock resonators in place?

Jdm351

Established Member
I'm thinking your car might be too heavy with options and add ons.

spare tire and trunk cleared out?
How about that front sway bar and z brace?
Pull the pass and rear seats.
Try running with and without your axle back.

now your in the 11.8 range.

I'd like to do it full (mostly) weight. I do remove the spare and jack though.

cobrasnake2003

Established Member
Are you letting the car cool between runs? Using any ice on the intake between runs? What pressure in your slicks and are you getting a good burnout? Seems like the couple times I was to the track this year the car would slow as the night went on even with a good cool down. My best 3 passes were always the ones off the trailer, which is an option if accessible. Also, the stock intake cover is a nice tray for a no sweat ice bags. I left mine on for the runs haha. Never an issue. Not sure how much it helps but anyone with a stock 03 Cobra back in the day knows how much you gain from a cooled down and iced engine. Heat soak was a bitch on those things stock. I did not have similar results as 5lho on the launch rpms. I started at 5200 and it would bog pretty hard. Slowly moved up and the sweet spot for me was 5700 off a 2 step. Ask them to give you a little prep or spray if they are not doing there job at the track. My best 60ft was right before a prep. Don't be afraid to powershift it if you are not doing so. That alone will get you that 11 sec slip.

Last edited:

5lho

Established Member
Are you letting the car cool between runs? Using any ice on the intake between runs? What pressure in your slicks and are you getting a good burnout? Seems like the couple times I was to the track this year the car would slow as the night went on even with a good cool down. My best 3 passes were always the ones off the trailer, which is an option if accessible. Also, the stock intake cover is a nice tray for a no sweat ice bags. I left mine on for the runs haha. Never an issue. Not sure how much it helps but anyone with a stock 03 Cobra back in the day knows how much you gain from a cooled down and iced engine. Heat soak was a bitch on those things stock. I did not have similar results as 5lho on the launch rpms. I started at 5200 and it would bog pretty hard. Slowly moved up and the sweet spot for me was 5700 off a 2 step. Ask them to give you a little prep or spray if they are not doing there job at the track. My best 60ft was right before a prep. Don't be afraid to powershift it if you are not doing so. That alone will get you that 11 sec slip.

Street legal drags usually mean some time between runs for me but, I have also hot lapped the car and had it turn in equivalent performance 8 runs in a row. Icing the plastic intake does nothing. DA is a big improver. The car picks up more than you'd expect from that.

I ran comparatively high 18 pounds in my slicks. That was good enough for 1.5-1.6 on the BBP suspension. 4500 rpm clutch dump. I was running a 28" tall tire to keep it in fourth through the stripe. I did try to launch at up to 6K but the car wouldn't 60 faster so I was just stressing parts more. No powershifting in my case...

Last edited:

Jdm351

Established Member

I dont power shift as the manual trans experience I have is that no lift shifts will reduce the lifespan significantly. And the car was fully warmed up for all passes. I imagine you are right on the money about keeping the engine cool and icing the intake. I still think the added gear makes a good difference overall. From the 60 to the top end mph. I run through the traps about 6400 rpm vs 6800-7k on a 355 gear.

Hopefully I'll get a procharger set up in the next year and just skip the 11s anyhow.

And also, with stock tune, you have to keep the revs higher due to the driver demand torque maps and clutch protection. That is likely why you had to increase the launch rpm compared to 5lho to get the at not to bog. I clutch dumped at 5k to a 1.85 60 foot on the stock tune. With the AED tune it didn't bog at all and netted the 1.68.

Last edited:

cobrasnake2003

Established Member
I guess I am a little old school with the ice bags haha. Makes sense plastic does not hold heat like metal. Figured leaving them on for the run could not hurt anything. Just figured I would try anything to get the best possible stock time I could since it will never be stock again haha.

5lho, Your car never felt like it bogged at all with the lower rpm launches? Mine literally fell on its face to low 1.7s/high 1.6s at lower 5000 rpm launches. That was in 2100+ DA conditions at that time though. I never launched it that low in sea level conditions. Could have something with your gained tq with the tune. From what I have read they pick up quite a bit mid range with a tune.

As for DA yes, in June I had mine at the track once in the above 2100+ DA conditions and the best I could muster was a 12.12@113 on a 1.63 60ft....no point in going back till the weather cooperated....foward to october with almost sea level DA and -.4 and almost 3mph.

Last edited:

cobrasnake2003

Established Member
I dont power shift as the manual trans experience I have is that no lift shifts will reduce the lifespan significantly. And the car was fully warmed up for all passes. I imagine you are right on the money about keeping the engine cool and icing the intake. I still think the added gear makes a good difference overall. From the 60 to the top end mph. I run through the traps about 6400 rpm vs 6800-7k on a 355 gear.

Hopefully I'll get a procharger set up in the next year and just skip the 11s anyhow.

And also, with stock tune, you have to keep the revs higher due to the driver demand torque maps and clutch protection. That is likely why you had to increase the launch rpm compared to 5lho to get the at not to bog. I clutch dumped at 5k to a 1.85 60 foot on the stock tune. With the AED tune it didn't bog at all and netted the 1.68.

I can honestly say powershifting has never really affected any of my transmissions, other than a some t5s back in the day until I finally switched to a 3550. 16 years old and popping t5s left and right haha....never want to go there again. In some ways i feel with the MT82 i am there again. My confidence in it is going up with it for now though. Knock on wood it shifts great since the fluid swap and I powershift the car at least once through the gears everytime I drive it, hard habit to break.

I have always been been very particular on clutch adjustment and clutch selection. Not a fan of hard hitting clutches. This is the first hydraulic clutch car I have had and not sure if it is luck or normal but it disengages way up at the top of the pedal throw which I like. I don't know how many peoples cable cars I have jumped in and they clutch disengages at the floor due to improper adjustment. They wonder why they keep going through trannys.

Good luck with the procharger! It is always nice skipping an entire number. Should have no problem going 10's!

5lho

Established Member
4500 was the minimum no bog launch that would 60 the fastest the BBP suspension was going to let me. I tried alot of different launch rpms to find this out. I was on a 3.73 car which helped combat the bog here perhaps.

I ran a weak T5 behind an 88 5.0 that got every power adder under the sun at one time. I kep that sucker alive at the track for over ten years launching on slicks and DRs. The secret? a good positive stop shifter and no powershifts.

My old '12 car would accept a powershift but, I didn't find it made a lot of difference over a clean speed shift and defintiely put parts at greater risk on my dd, which is a bit of a non-no, in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread