Just installed new clutch, Couple questions. Please read.

SILVER_SVT_GT

Established Member
So, I got my Centerforce DF and Fidanza aluminum flywheel installed last night. Finished around midnight. My first one. Did my wideband this morning. Got exhaust back on, leak free.

I followed AM's Spec clutch install guide. And following the Fidanza and Centerforce instructions as well. Pilot bearing was a breeze. Rented slide hammer,pilot puller and bearing/seal driver from AutoZone. Piece of cake.

Installed flywheel dowel pins, new ARP bolts. Blue Loc-Tite. Torqued. And went around 3 times to just make sure. Cleaned with brake cleaner and clean paper towel. After mounted and torqued, cleaned again with more brake cleaner and new paper towel.

Inserted clutch disc with alignment tool. A sticker on clutch disc pointed out the side that went toward the flywheel. Cleaned pressure plate also with brake clean and paper towel. Lined right up with dowel pins. New Ford pressure plate bolts that already had red Loc-Tite on threads. Torqued and re torqued 3 times.

Aligned trans up and slid back in by hand. Hardest part of entire job was the two top bell housing bolts and the three starter bolts. A pita to say the least.

Knew I was doing my wideband today, so didn't reinstall midpipe last night. Got wideband bung welded in this morning, o2 sensor installed, and gauge in. Works great. So, off the jack stands.

Time for the maiden voyage. Not knowing if I did something wrong, I just tap the starter. All seems good. Tap starter again. Didn't lock up. No crunching sounds. So, I crank on it and she fires to life. No noises. No smells. No vibrations. All seems good to go.

However, backing out of garage, when releasing the clutch, there is this shuttering, vibration that you can't hear, but you feel in the seat of your pants. Kind of shakes the car, steering wheel. Only happens when your taking off sliding clutch pedal. A little bit between shifts. I know I have to be real easy on clutch for break in. Centerforce says 400 to 500 miles of easy city driving.

Is this shuttering/vibration feel I'm getting the "chatter" I hear people talk about? So far I have put 20 miles of in town stop-n-go traffic. Driving like a total grandma. No clutch noises or smells.

Is this normal? Did I do something wrong? I made 100% sure that the fiber disc was the same size as the steel insert part of the flywheel. Everything bolted up without any issues. (except the dowel pins. I tapped those in lightly with a deadblow hammer to get started, then pressed in with my bench vise. Per Fidanza instructions.)

If this is normal chatter, how long before it smooths out? Roughly?

Thanks for any info guys. Just worried sick I did something wrong.

Svtmustang01

Established Member
My car had chatter for a while with a spec clutch. Its hard to say as to when it will go away as it depends how many cycles the clutch runs through. More stop and go driving the better. From what you are explaining its nothing to worry about and should settle itself out.

SILVER_SVT_GT

Established Member
Thanks guys. A buddy and I went cruising the town tonight. Logged about 90 miles so far. And it's definitely getting better. Phew, a sigh of relief. The first 10 miles had me worried.

But definitely better. Will log some more miles tomorrow.

centerforce

Established Member
Thanks guys. A buddy and I went cruising the town tonight. Logged about 90 miles so far. And it's definitely getting better. Phew, a sigh of relief. The first 10 miles had me worried.

But definitely better. Will log some more miles tomorrow.

If you don't see any improvement as the break-in procedure goes on, shoot me a PM and we'll get you some help.

Be sure those break-in miles are in Ottawa, too, and not going up rolling down I-80 for Wednesday night at Rip's*. You need lots of heat cycles from stop signs and traffic lights to break the clutch in.

* Do locals still go to Rip's? It's been a few years since I've been in the area, but that chicken...dang.

Users who are viewing this thread