Just installed magnaflow catback

nate

Established Member
Well I installed my first mod. Got the catback from Full Line exhaust for the standard $380.00 shipped. Got it in 2 days. It was packed nice and tight, no damage. I installed it myself w/ one small jack and no stands in about 3 hours. The exhaust itself was only about 2, but it was a PITA to get the tips lined up right. But she finally sounds like a V8. Nice rumble at startup, and fairly quiet under normal accelleration. When you open it up it really screams :thumbsup: . The car seems to have a little engine miss at idle now, but maybe that will go away. All in all, I'm very pleased and would recommend it to someone who doesn't want a racecar loud exhaust. I imagine if you added the x-pipe or headers it would be a real screamer then.

1IDSPTTR

Established Member
Wearin her sister's clothes...

:burnout:

Got underneath the car last night and took about 2 hours to pull of the stock catback and replace it with the Magnaflow catback that came off the '99 'vert. Fitted better than I expected, and all I had to do was bend the right tailpipe hanger just a bit to get it not to touch the plastic. I was kinda surprised to hear the sound compared to the '99. It is definitely louder, and perhaps a little rougher around the edges, especially under WOT. The burble on deceleration is also more noticable. My wife used to give me grief about sounding like a redneck with the old car. Heh, I wonder how she'll feel about going to the Symphony in the new car tonight :coolman: Anyway, I'm still undecided on the sound, I suppose I should have expected it to be louder since the engine on the '03 must have higher gas flow. Anybody think the sound quality will change on an old system installed on a new car with only 600 miles on it as the miles go up??? I think the old SOTP meter approves too...
Allan

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by nate
The car seems to have a little engine miss at idle now, but maybe that will go away.
If your idle is just a little bit more lumpy (and 50-100 RPM lower at idle), the computer hasn't compensated for the new lack of backpressure. Someone posted a method to adjust the idle screw, after installation of an aftermarket cat-back. HTH

nate

Established Member
Thanks for the tip. Speaking of tips I just got back from an evening drive and my drivers side tip slipped out of adjustment and melted the exhaust cutout on the bumper. :fm: :fm: . I don't know why I am having such problems getting the tips to center up in the bumper holes. Guess I'll try to get it lined up in the morning.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by nate
Thanks for the tip. Speaking of tips I just got back from an evening drive and my drivers side tip slipped out of adjustment and melted the exhaust cutout on the bumper. :fm: :fm: . I don't know why I am having such problems getting the tips to center up in the bumper holes. Guess I'll try to get it lined up in the morning.

HOLY F&^$^% SH*#!!!! I WOULD FREAK!!! I think I'd be kicking some Magna-ass!!!

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
nate, You have to rotate the front pipes coming off the H pipe into the mufflers to line up the rear tail pipes. You also have to bend down the rear brackets on the tips to keep the tips away from the body.

If you don't have the front pipes correct, the complete system will not line up. The back pipes should also be parallel with each other. This is also affected by the rotation of the front pipes.

You also better clamp the crap out of the system. I had mine tack welded on the front mufflers to keep them from twisting.

Here's the pipe you need to make sure is 100% correct and how the back pipes should look in relation to each other.

magna11.jpg

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I just installed my Magnaflow cat back yesterday w/ my 13 year-old son. It's nice to see him interested in cars. He's been more excited about it than I am! It's a nice system and sounds great. Much much better than stock. Lining things up does take some time and I still may tweak things a bit to get it perfect. The only problem I had was the right pipe that goes into the muffler was too small. Had to take it to a shop to get it expanded a bit. He kinda over did it, so I really had to tighten down that clamp. Actually, I even broke one in the process. I tried those Accuseal band clamps, but could no way get them tight enough. Also, the right-hand side rear pipe is a tad short. It can't be fitted all the way on the muffler w/o the pipe hitting a bolt on the IRS.

nate

Established Member
I bent the hangers for the tips to get them in place. The passenger's side hasn't given me any problems. I had the drivers side looking good but the allen screw that attaches the tip to the hanger came loose and the tip pulled back and rested on the outer portion of the cutout. I will try adjusting the main bolts at the h-pipe. Thanks for your help, it is greaty appreciated. Also, I don't want anyone to think that I am knocking Magnaflow's quality on the catback. Everything seems top-notch. I think the main problem is that I have never messed with an exhaust before and I should have tried adjusting elsewhere in the system other than pulling the tip in place and relying on the allen screw to hold it. :shrug: Dumb me I guess. If others learn from my bad luck then maybe something good can come from this.

Users who are viewing this thread