Just installed FIPK - comments & questions

sjw985

Established Member
Warning - this may be a little long.

Well, today I finally did it. After a year and two months ofenjoying my perfectly stock silver metallic '03, I have just completed my first mod.

At the recommendation of davidwhitt from this board, I called up Zip Products here in Richmond and ordered a K&N FIPK for immediate local pickup. I hopped in my Cobra and headed the 12 miles or so over to Mechanicsville, where I was surprised to find a very nice little showroom - although clearly more Vette rather than Mustang-oriented - at the end of a rough little strip of asphalt not too far from I295.

I picked up my rather large box containing the FIPK, and went home to begin a new chapter in my automotive life.

Let me begin by telling you a little bit about me. I used to hate cars. I love airplanes (although I'd never look to aviation as a career - it was just a hobby). I finally got my pilot's license in June 2000, driving to and from the airport in my beat up old 1990 Chevy Corsica, which had an awesome 135 HP 3.1L V6 and an AT.

About a year later in 2001, feeling fairly well on my feet at that time I decided to get myself a nicer car to play with. I ended up buying a beautiful but slightly used silver 1998 SVT Contour, #57. It was my first manual. It had 60 additional beautiful ponies under the hood. I loved it.

A year later (Spring '02) I was in Richmond and no longer flying because this area SUCKS for flying - no good flying clubs, so it's very expensive. Plus nobody rents Pipers, and I hate Cessnas. 172s feel like cramped kites to me, and I don't have enough hours to check out in a 182. Anyway, just for fun I'd been periodically test driving different cars and one day stumbled across a 99 Cobra at Carmax. I drove it. I loved it. I bought it. Suddenly I was up another hundred ponies or so (yes, the fix was done).

A year later, Spring '03, I hungered for more. Something faster. I put down a deposit on the soon-to-be-released STI. Then I decided I couldn't live with the wing, and overall it just seemed a little too ricey for my taste. So I cancelled that order, and shortly thereafter picked up my late-run '03 Cobra at the end of may. I loved it. I still do.

The car spent more than a year stock, except for Amsoil & Zaino. But lately I've wanted more power. But I am not yet convinced that our engines are going to hold up in the long run with pullies, and frankly unless the '07 Cobra is leaps and bounds beyond the '03 I intend to hold onto this one for many years and well beyond 100K miles (for reference, in the first year I put on about 10K miles).

Hence the FIPK. To start with, at least. The install was simple - I have never done any serious work under the hood, and it took me all of perhaps 45 minutes. I didn't drill the hole because it does not seem necessary and I want to be able to easily change back to stock if the need presents itself. But the mounting on the radiator seems quite secure.

On the way to pick up the FIPK, I gave the car a good workout to have a fresh performance baseline in my mind. It's rather warm today (high 80s) so it got hot pretty fast. By the time I finished the install this afternoon, it was even warmer. After a good "bench run" to check for leaks, secure mounting, etc, I checked all the connections one last time and finally took the car out for a test run.

All I can say is.... wow. The butt dyno says the car definitely feels much faster. The blower definitely sounds much louder (which, unlike the R&T morons, I actually like). But I definitely feel a big difference in 1st & 2nd. I have not had a chance to really push the car - nor will I until I'm confident that the install is secure - but I have to say it's the best $170 I think I could spend on the car. Keep in mind that right now the FIPK is the ONLY mod on the car.

Of course next comes the exhaust, as soon as I can decide between Magnaflow and Bassani. Catback only, at least until the car is out of warranty. Beyond that, who knows what I'll do. But now that I've taken the first tentative step down the road (no pun intended) of illicit vehicular performance modifications I know it will be easier for me in the future. I better be careful though, or I won't be able to afford flying again.

Comments complete.

Now the questions-

From experience, how often in practice is it necessary to clean & re-oil the K&N? I always check everything under the hood every few days, so what should I look for as a telltale sign that it's time to clean the filter?

Also, since I'm not really that mechanically inclined, although I do not THINK I can hear any leaks or problems, I'm not really sure. Is there anything in particular I should look or listen for? What would a leak somewhere on the intake sound like?

To anyone who has been debating putting on a CAI, take it from a mod newbie who never intended to change a single stock component - the '03/'04 Cobra loves the FIPK. If this is the only mod you ever do, it's worth it. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that once you start modding it's going to be pretty tough to stop.

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
I have an 03 Cobra with the FIPK and Magnaflow
catback.I dynoed at 402 RWHP and got a 12.88
et so far.

pvteye

Established Member
Just add the MagnaFlow catback and you are set... easy install also, did it on a pair of rhino ramps by myself in the driveway, got it from www.completeexhaust.com for $329 but that was a sale price... not sure it is still on.
Put down 401 RWHP and 374 RWTQ SAE in 100 degree Alabama Heat...,
Just did the PostBan Cold Air Mod today... $4.50 in parts, less than half hour to do. 3 inch Aluminum Flex Hose running from intake hole beside passenger fog lamp opening up to the K&N.
Not sure how much, if any, it is worth... but it can't hurt.

sjw985

Established Member
Thanks David - I'm glad I did it. Hopefully once I get the exhaust done I'll be content for a while.

sjw985

Established Member
Wow - good times & power from CAI & CB. I saw quite a few '03/'04s running mid 13s at the Fun Fast Ford event near Richmond a couple weeks ago - I'm not sure why, I assume most if not all of them were modded in some way.

YellowCobra, how do you like the Pro 5.0 shifter?

Last edited:

BoneCrusher

Established Member
Originally posted by Want03Cobra
"Unfortunately, I have a feeling that once you start modding it's going to be pretty tough to stop."

:cryying: :burnout: :beer:

I have to agree, like one hit of the crack pipe you're instantly hooked. It's all I can do to stop myself once I did the exhaust and FIPK, I just take it one day at a time, lol.

TheYellowCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by sjw985
Wow - good times & power from CAI & CB. I saw quite a few '03/'04s running mid 13s at the Fun Fast Ford event near Richmond a couple weeks ago - I'm not sure why, I assume most if not all of them were modded in some way.

YellowCobra, how do you like the Pro 5.0 shifter?

I like the Pro 5.0 a lot. It felt a little notchy at first but it's better now, I guess you just have to break it in. I don't have any noise from the shifter like some people get. Now I'm waiting on some drag radials I ordered. I want to try to get into the 11's with my current mods.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Good Write up. Interesting how the horsepower bug sneaks up on you. I just took a frend of a friend for a ride in my 03 Cobra with FiPK. He is a pilot with an Experimental 4passenger Carnard. I believe it is a Velocity.

He was very impressed with the Cobra and commented on the Jet Thrust like pull from the engine. My only other mods are Triax shifter (DO IT) and Subframe connectors to help the verts chassis flex.

Glad you like your car. I am holding off on the exhaust, I actually appreciate the quiet exhaust and think it has kept me from tickets.

sjw985

Established Member
I like the quiet exhaust too, but I miss the rumble & roar of my 99 w/ flowmasters. Although the drone on the highway was a bit much.

Users who are viewing this thread