Just installed, Borla exhaust, good results, nice sound.

jtfx6552

Established Member
To make things easier, instead of typing a long post, I put all the details, including dyno sheets, install pics and a sound clip on my website at:
http://users.erols.com/drfunky/pages/Borla/index.htm

Here is the text, cut and pasted form the page (to make it easy to quote if you need to).

"Rick from Amazon Racing set me up with a 2.5" Borla cat-back.

Quality is very high, very nice fit, stainless steel with a 1,000,000 mile warranty. The mufflers are what I ( a non muffler expert) would call a straight through design. I call them that because I can see straight thru them. ':-D'
Prior to installation, I rebaselined the car. HP was up a little to 439.8 HP SAE. The stock exhaust has been known to be a big restriction on the 2003 Cobra. Mine must not have been too bad, or maybe the exhaust 'breaks in" and losses some packing because 440 SAE rwhp seems high for my combination, all stock other than Amazon CAI, Amazon Diablosport chip and 2.93 pulley.
The car has run a best of [email protected] MPH on the stock Goodyear F1's this way.

With the Borla cat back HP went to 450.1 HP SAE. A 10.3 RWHP gain. Not sure what to make of these results. Seems like many people claim more than 10 RWHP for cat-backs, however, I haven't seen many cars dyno that much higher if at all with similar mods, even for cars that have an added aftermarket catted X-pipe too,

For comparison for those that use STD correction, the after numbers are 461 STD HP, with 462 STD ft lbs of torque.
As for the sound. I really like it. It is very quiet at idle. So quiet, I am not sure it sounds any louder than the stock set-up. At medium throttle, the difference becomes apparant. It is definatly louder full throttle, but not so loud that it overpowers the blower whine. Below is an audio clip fo the second 450 SAE HP pull. Note after the car starts, all that can be heard is the wide band 02 and the dyno fan,"

JT

Last edited:

TruBlu03

Numbers are looking sweet! Any chance we can get a video/audio post ala Postban style?? Is kinda hard to isolate the exhaust sound from the background noise but what I could hear of it sounded good :D

C_Record

Established Member
I've been wanting to hear an '03 with Borlas and it sounds great! I knew they would be nice. I would also like to hear it again with cleaner audio. Though thanks for posting this. They were my first choice and I'm sticking with them. Little upset about the manufacturers cocking the tips sideways to make them flow with the bumper cover. They look crooked to me and I don't like it. I'll have to see what I can do about that.

jtfx6552

Established Member
It is a lakewood made specific for mustangs. I think it is listed as being for years 86-95, it was cheap, like around $30.00.

I think the newer transmissions are a little longer. It seemed the loop wanted to "sit" nicer a lttle further forward than I ended up mounting it.

It did level out when I bolted it down.

I removed the seats and kinda pulled up the carpet in the seat area so the drill bit wouldn't catch it. After drilling the holes, I reached through the holes that are in the carpet for the seat mount rails, and dropped the bolts down through. Worked out pretty nice. make sure to feel around through the carpet holes on the top drivers side for the wiring harness running along the floor. You want to make sure your drill bit misses it!

JT

Users who are viewing this thread