Just how safe is the Diablo pulley tune??

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
I have the predator coming this week and my 2.76 pulley ready to go on, but there aren't any good tuners close to me and I don't really have the cash for a true tune right at the moment so am I OK to run around with the Canned predator tune for awhile until I get a tune?

How many of you have used the pulley tune and checked to see what your A/F ratio was? I know its not the right thing to do but I'm dying to try it! :rockon:

Romans8:28

Established Member
All cars are different, and it's also possible (need to verify with Diablosport) that even their "pulley tune" has evolved over time (the actual version of the tune)....

Having said that in my case the pulley tune was lean and had far to much timing as my sig indicates we had to add fuel and back off timing when it was on the dyno. I suppose you could load the tune as is and listen very closely for any detonation/read your plugs before you push it really hard. You really should visit a dyno just to see how the A/F is riding across the rpm band.

03mustang92

1of154
Established Member
I have the predator coming this week and my 2.76 pulley ready to go on, but there aren't any good tuners close to me and I don't really have the cash for a true tune right at the moment so am I OK to run around with the Canned predator tune for awhile until I get a tune?

How many of you have used the pulley tune and checked to see what your A/F ratio was? I know its not the right thing to do but I'm dying to try it! :rockon:

I when i used it i had a 2.8 pulley and my afr was well, here u go
dynosheet001.jpg

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
i've been running the canned diablo tune on my 2.8 upper only DD for close to a year, with no issues what so ever. also...although unwise, i have made a few top end/speed pulls as well, with no issues. knock on weed.

Riceater52910

Established Member
I put the predator tune on my car out of boredom and it ran like SHIT. I didnt have a wideband at the time, but the car was cutting out at WOT. usually a symptom of extreme knock, or way too lean. Id stay out of it until you can at least get the A/F ratio checked with a tail sniffer.

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
I put the predator tune on my car out of boredom and it ran like SHIT. I didnt have a wideband at the time, but the car was cutting out at WOT. usually a symptom of extreme knock, or way too lean. Id stay out of it until you can at least get the A/F ratio checked with a tail sniffer.

What were your mods? What pulley? I hear nothing but good about the canned pulley tune, your the first that has disliked it.

lxhatch302

Established Member
I used the 91pulley tune and had to only had in a lil bit of fuel...
With the 2.76,cai,full exhaust car made 470/490

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
Man, what mixed reviews! One guy says its fine and the next says no way! I guess I'll run it around just a little and get to a shop for a tune ASAP.

92stanglx

Established Member
I personally never trust pre-canned tuns.. but that is just me :) I would save money for a real tune.

If you decide to chance it then at least get your A/F checked on the dyno.

Good luck

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
I totally agree theres no substitute for a real dyno tune with A/F monitoring, I just want something safe so I can run around with the 2.76 until I can gather up the funds to take the car to Herman.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
My car was a very early production model. The previous owner added a 2.8, idler and Predator "canned pulley tune". I bought the car and got it on the Dyno, it was almost dangerously lean down low, and rich up top. It put down 387 Rwhp, 447 Rwtq. We added a Steeda Cold-air, checked the plugs, and switched to a Custom SCT Dyno tune. Ended up with 447 Rwhp AND 461 Rwtq, with the Stock Cat-back. Apparently this car was pullied before many custom tuners we're doing them yet. I was happy with the final results. The later canned Predator tune may be better.....

liedenfrost

Established Member
I ran around with the canned Predator tune for 18 months or so without issue, but I would definitely recommend a dyno tune by someone that specializes in these cars. There are too many variable with each setup...every car is a little different. I was leaving 10-20 hp on the table with the tune and it was a bit lean. I had a 2.8 upper only with a K&N intake and a simple catback. I had no issues.
You could always add a bottle of Lucas octane booster or torco for safety with each fill up for peace of mind until you can afford a dyno tune. The tune is the single most important thing. Engine damage is much more expensive than a dyno tune.

Spoolx

Established Member
I dont know for sure but if I was to guess Diablo most likely errors on the safe side for their tunes.

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
I totally agree theres no substitute for a real dyno tune with A/F monitoring, I just want something safe so I can run around with the 2.76 until I can gather up the funds to take the car to Herman.

spend 200 and buy a wideband, then you can see what your car is running. i picked up my predator used, so it may have been modified a bit, but installed the pulley tune. it was a little lean for my taste so i bumped up the fuel a little. car runs perfect. dont forget some tr6 plugs

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
Got the TR6 plugs already, was thinking on a wideband, I really love doing my own tuning but since this is my first terminator I am a little unsure.

Users who are viewing this thread