Just heard back from the dealer on TOB.

Silver 03 Cobra

slythetove, was right. I have the same problem he had. He described his problem and it was identical to mine. The slider part that the TOB runs on is made into the trans case and mine was broke. It can't be replaced because it is part of the trans case. They have to replace the whole transmission.

I raced this car with slicks all summer and no problems. Then after I get a squeaking TOB replaced and have taken it pretty easy on the car and have not raced it at all, this happens. Personally, I think the mechanic at my old dealer probably broke it reinstalling the trans after the first TOB and he broke it rocking it side to side getting it into the car. Any mechanic that beat the shit out of my car on things I could see it scares the hell out of me what he might have done taht I can't see. I think this is a result of his half-assed-don't-give-a-shit work ethic.

That makes two people I know of with this problem. If your trans is making a popping noise you probably have the same problem. slythetove, if you read this, what mods did you have and did the dealer give you any idea to why it broke? Did you have a TOB replaced or the trans out of the car before this happened?

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Glad to help

My mods are listed below, but I didn't have the springs or camber plates at the time.

Only tranny mod was the Pro 5.0

No problems up to the point when it went.

It went at about 15 miles an hour in stop and go rush hour traffic close to home so I took it in first thing the next day.

They really didn't know what might have caused it, but the resolution for me was:

Replaced transmission
Replaced Flywheel and New clutch kit

They did the flywheel and clutch kit because they had already ordered it before they dropped the tranny and I have a good relationship with the service manager at my dealer.

I'm glad you are getting taken care of finally.

I can tell you that the new clutch kit is MUCH better than the original was in feel and not chattering at all.

Silver 03 Cobra

I think there may be a problem. I don't see how driving it hard could break it. It is bolted to the bell housing and the BH is bolted to the engine. The output shaft is supported by a bearing in the trans and a bearing in the end of the crank. I don't see how the forces from the engine could break it. The dealer said he thought the casting for the trans housing had a crack in it and finally broke. I really believe the tech went to swinging the hell out of it trying to get it started and broke it. I would think if they thought it was abuse they would have denied the warranty. They said the new trans wold be here tomorrow. They said they may get my car ready tomorrow or maybe Monday. I'm already anticipating it to be next year.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Yeah I don't think this was your fault. You can of course point them to my threads to show that it has happened to another if need be.

It sounds more like just a defect. These things do happen in a production line environment.

I'm chalking it up to defect and driving onward.

Hope you don't have to wait as long as I did.

Took 3 weeks for me.

Silver 03 Cobra

Thanks for the feedback. They said it was under warranty unless they change their mind. I know my fomer dealer was trying to undermine me. I may need your posts just in case. I was sure hoping you were wrong but deep down I knew it was the same problem. Damn, your description was just to close to the problem I was having. I'm driving a Windstar van. I can live without the snake. I'm off two weeks after Friday. That'll make it a little tougher plus I was going to detail it some. If I'm lucky, I may get it tomorrow or Monday. I know they said the trans was due tomorrow but my other dealer said that on a FW for four days and found out it was even available. This dealer seems to be on the stick a hell of a lot better than the dealer I bought the car from. I wasn't trying to full anybody. I will pay for something that's my fault. I was willing to pay for a new fly wheel and already had a Spec clutch. It'll work out fine. I just want to be treated fairly and my car treated the way I treat it. You can ask anyone that I have modified their car and my work is superior. I put more in their car than I do when I do the same mod on my own. That's just the way I am. Unfortunatley to many people today DGAS (Don't give a shit).

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
i have an 01 and my tob is going out for the second time. So when they replace my engine mid-january they're going to replace the tranny too. Hope the new tranny is trouble-free but we will see.

Mike

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Silver,

Don't hesitate to let me know if there is any way I can help.

Mine was stock so the mod excuse to not warranty it doesn't fly. I hope they don't try to give you that.

It's just a problem that some of the T-56 must have.

In fact when the techs showed me mine we couldn't figure out how it should have stayed on long anyway. The tack welds were poor to non existent on the bad one. He told me they were a little better on the new one.

4800 miles (my mileage at the time) on a stock '03 Cobra should not have broken anything in that T-56, so defect is the most obvious answer. Ford saw it that way in my case easily.

I'm sure hoping you get the same fair treatment. These cars are too impressive to be riddled with bad owner experiences. I think Ford knows that. In fact, I think they are counting on it for the next generation.

Dealerships vary, but I think Ford knows the true score.

Keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread