Just got sent home from tuner saying i have an issue. need advice

01yellercobra

Established Member
A leak post MAF wouldn't affect the counts. But it would cause the motor to run like crap since metered air is escaping.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
A leak post MAF wouldn't affect the counts. But it would cause the motor to run like crap since metered air is escaping.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk
Ah, admittedly, I was overlooking the FI.

I was thinking a vacuum leak that would allow additional airflow through somewhere else, causing the MAF to read low.

Since I'm still thinking about it, this was at idle, on a blow thru system. Let me explain what I am thinking, perhaps it's negligible, but may be good for discussion.

At idle, my car ,which is turbo, still draws vacuum. A leak post MAF, would (in theory) cause additional airflow to the motor lessening the amount of air flowing past the meter. I'm tempted to pull a vacuum line on mine and datalog just to see. I'm not saying it IS his cause, but I believe it could have an effect on AD counts. How much, of one would have to be seen.

Thoughts?

Another thing perhaps, although I have no firsthand experience with "calibrated" mafs, is that as I understand it, they skew the readings to trick the ecu to thinking less airflow has went past. Thus the car changes the pulsewidth to a smaller window so that less fuel in introduced into the motor.

So, wouldn't a calibrated MAF have to show less AD counts to trick the ecu?

Last edited:

b00stin

Established Member
I swapped mass air flow sensors with a ba2400 sct meter .. Maf ad counts were around 150-160 at idle with a baseline tune for the meter

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

b00stin

Established Member
are you recircing your bypass valve or is it vented to atmosphere and where, do you have a pic of it?

IMG_20120528_144126.jpg

IMG_20120528_144108.jpg

its in the passenger side fender now

Last edited:

williesgt

Established Member
in a draw through maf sensor isnt the maf senor inbetween the air filter and the turbo inlet...if so if you have an air leak after the maf sensor you will have low maf counts due to the turbo will be sucking in unmeaterd air after the maf sensor...witch will make the car run lean not rich...

b00stin

Established Member
we switched to a different Maf and the Maf counts were correct. I'm guessing because the pro-m is "calibrated" . Now I find out the tuner had a software issue when I was there so now I'm rescheduled for June 26th. Stay tuned lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread