Just got pulled over for Exhibition of Acceleration...

MattP 343

Established Member
I thought that was more or less out of commission in a sense? :shrug:

I was at a stop light getting ready to turn right on red, but there are cars coming so I pull out quicker than normal and since Im running gears with a short tire in the back my first gear is very short- So I wind it out to about 3,500rpm before I shift into second, knowing that I need to get moving so I don't get rear-ended from behind. Honest to god I MAY have gone 1/3 throttle.

Drive about 100yards, see the red/blues flashing immediately pull over, throw on the dome light, turn off the car, and put my hands on the steering wheel.

All he could really say was that since my car was red and my exhaust was too loud I needed to be on the look-out for trouble. He was a cool guy, but it kinda threw me for a loop when he said I could have been charged for Exhibition of acceleration..School me TX LEOs

DanTheMan18

Established Member
To my understanding, it's basically accelerating faster than needed, or what could be perceived as showing off.

Probably heard your exhaust and how your rpms rose decently quick from the gears, and assumed you were stepping on it a little bit.

Sorry, not an LEO, but just my understanding from a friend who got a similar ticket.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Exibition of Acceleration went away a few years and it was incorperated into Reckless Driving. Reckless Driving is a go to jail offense, a class (B) misdeameanor. Now, there may be a city ordinance reference this?

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
Just curious - was this APD? And if so, where were you at when you got pulled over?

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
All he could really say was that since my car was red and my exhaust was too loud I needed to be on the look-out for trouble.

might want to save that if you take him on in court :)

only time i got pulled over for exhibition was when i was doing a protected u-turn in the fox and dumped the clutch, slid around, and took off.

turned out the car sitting at the light ahead was a cop :kaboom: he was prolly the coolest cop i have ever met (and trust me, i've met a lot) and just wrote me a ticket for no front plate and expired registration (couldn't get it to pass smog at the time)

Eric

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
*removed by moderator - flames, derogatory comments and flippant remarks about L.E.O. is not permitted - keep your snide remarks to yourself.*

Last edited:

insane99svt

Established Member
*removed by moderator - flames, derogatory comments and flippant remarks about L.E.O. is not permitted* If you cant read and then follow the very simple rules for this forum, you should refrain from posting here.

Last edited:

MattP 343

Established Member
Yeah I hear you. I definitely did not argue with this guy, and probably would never argue with a Cop unless I knew I was already going to jail and would like to plead my case regardless.

With that said, Im sure he could have gotten me for no front plate if he had really wanted to. I assume he just wanted to give me a little scare! I wasn't really too nervous until all his buddies in cruisers started rolling up...I got flashbacks to that commercial that came out in '05 where the cops take turns joyriding in that Hertz Shelby- Ah!!

Crazy Ray

Established Member
Never argue with a LEO. They always have the last word. Take the ass chewing and be on your way, or it's going cost you more.

JasonSnake

Established Member
might want to save that if you take him on in court :)

only time i got pulled over for exhibition was when i was doing a protected u-turn in the fox and dumped the clutch, slid around, and took off.

turned out the car sitting at the light ahead was a cop :kaboom: he was prolly the coolest cop i have ever met (and trust me, i've met a lot) and just wrote me a ticket for no front plate and expired registration (couldn't get it to pass smog at the time)

Eric

LOL!! Same thing happen to me! After the "illegal" u-turn, I broke the rear end loose but kept the car straight..I bet from his angle the car looked like it was simply sliding to the other lanes, not fishtailing out of control. Then I saw him walk out of his patrol car and put his hand up signing me to pull over. I got a ticket for illegal uturn but nothing worse thankfully.

t0ad

The Nightman
Established Member
where did this happen? austin police? just curious as I am nearby. oh College Station. :D

Last edited:

bchris289

Established Member
Yeah I hear you. I definitely did not argue with this guy, and probably would never argue with a Cop unless I knew I was already going to jail and would like to plead my case regardless.

With that said, Im sure he could have gotten me for no front plate if he had really wanted to. I assume he just wanted to give me a little scare! I wasn't really too nervous until all his buddies in cruisers started rolling up...I got flashbacks to that commercial that came out in '05 where the cops take turns joyriding in that Hertz Shelby- Ah!!

Hey man were you at the A&M sports car club's first meeting last semester? Just trying to think if I have seen you before.

Users who are viewing this thread