Just got new gears and.....

riot662

Established Member
I just enlarged my gears to 3.73 a few weeks ago on my 95 Cobra. Since that time I have been hearing a whining noise coming from my dash. It seems to become louder the faster I go. I am not sure if it has something to do with a speedo gear or what? Anyone know something about this?

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
A whining?? Odd... I would think speedo too then. Did you put a new plastic sppedo gear in to match the ring & pinion gears?

Last edited:

riot662

Established Member
The guy put in a new gear to match. I am not sure if he left something out. Is that possible?

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
There's nothing to really "leave out" when it comes to that lil' speedo gear.
I wonder if it's possible to get into the dash where the cable connects and lube it? Otherwise, I dunno?! I've never heard that before..?

riot662

Established Member
I guess I will try to do that. I am not sure how to get into the dash but I think is just unscrews and pops off.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Do you have a Chilton's manual? It shows right in there. Otherwise, Mustangworld should have some pics on like a white-face gauge install I'm sure.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
the speedometer cable can be lubed. that is probably where the noise is coming from becuase they will start to make a "whining" or "sqealing" type noise when they arent lubed properly.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Originally posted by riot662
No I don't have Chilton's manual but I can always check Mustangworld. Thanks for the help.
Not a problem. When you get a chance, pick up a manual. They're like 20-bux and there's quite a bit of info in there, well worth it!

riot662

Established Member
Black98COBRA, do you know how to get to that cable? And I will get that manual just to have all that information.

Users who are viewing this thread