Just got my baseline dyno....

SmithAtlanta

Established Member
I was wondering if these numbers were pretty consistent with everyone elses baseline dyno's.... It was 90 degrees outside and the drive to the dyno was 45 minutes so the car was pretty hot when they ran the dyno...

The best pull was:
228.2 hp / 265.8 tq

about 16% loss at the flywheel. The only mod I have is a K&N filter and the silencer removed(this doesn't help much if you are not moving, though)

One thing that was interesting was the guy that did my dyno recommended the bassani X pipe / 2 chamber flowmaster combo. He said he has done several thousand dyno's on Mustangs and this was the most consistent setups for getting horsepower gains. I asked him about headers and he said they were a waste of money unless I was going to put a blower on the engine.

I have to listen to the guy because he has the fastest 1/8 mile run in Georgia ao he must know something about making a car fast.

I am starting to wonder if I should go with this setup instead of the Magnaflow X-cats and Catback I was thinking about buying????

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Those numbers sound about perfect. The formula I always use is xxx rwhp TIMES 1.15 = flywheel horsepower. So 228X1.15=262. Sounds about right.

BTW my baseline before headswap was 209. That was with the Prochamber and cat-back. I would reccomend the Prochamber because it has great power increases like the x-pipe, but sounds deeper like a regular off road-h.:beer:

SmithAtlanta

Established Member
I am now thinking about BBK longtubes, a BBK short H Pipe w/ cats, and Flowmaster 2 chamber 2.5inch catback.

Do you know of anyone with this setup?

I have seen another 02 with this setup, along with pullies, P&P Heads(springs, 5 angle valve job) and chip pulling close to 300 hp.

How much does a head swap typically cost? Did you do it yourself?

I was looking into the SHM Power Packs....

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Actually, the heads that I put on were 99+ heads/cams. In '99 the GT's got a 35hp increase due to new heads/cams and intake. Basically all I did was swap in the newer model parts (which you already have obviously) and before installing them I had a port and polish job done. I got just the stage I package, which is basically a stock 99+ parts package. There's also stage II and III which are even more aggressive in head design as well as cam profile's etc. Those are way more expensive so I just decided to go with stage I. I still have my stock exhaust manifolds, but they were bored out to match the new exhaust ports. Headers will only give minimal gains so I decided to leave the manifolds. Next year if I go with a supercharger then I will do the headers.

If you go with a stage II or III headswap the labor will run you close to $1000. Even more if you have them port and polished.

As far as BBK's, I have no personal experience with them, but I read all the time about people swearing by them. I think they would give you a nice setup.

StangD281

Established Member
A friend has that exact BBK/Flowmaster setup on his 00 GT, and the car sounds like thunder. He has a couple other tricks, but no blower, and runs low 13's. As for sound, it is LOUD. As for power, it is stronger in the top-end now. He has also changed his rev limiter to 6500rpms, which may help that. I dont know his dyno, but I'd say his car has around 270-280 rwhp (merely my estimate).

AV8R

RiceCooker
Established Member
Originally posted by Blackgeetee
The formula I always use is xxx rwhp TIMES 1.15 = flywheel horsepower. So 228X1.15=262. Sounds about right.

Actually, that is the incorrect way of figuring out flywheel horsepower. The correct formula is as follow:

RWHP/ 0.85 = FWHP

so....

228/0.85 = 268 FWHP

Not much of a difference but the error will multiply itself as you get higher HP numbers.

Jason

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Originally posted by AV8R

Actually, that is the incorrect way of figuring out flywheel horsepower. The correct formula is as follow:

RWHP/ 0.85 = FWHP

so....

228/0.85 = 268 FWHP

Not much of a difference but the error will multiply itself as you get higher HP numbers.

Jason

I like that formula better:). I can't remember where I read about the one I posted. That was always the one I used.

Cool, that means I have 308.2 flywheel horsepower.

Does that same formula work for torque?

AV8R

RiceCooker
Established Member
Originally posted by Blackgeetee

I like that formula better:). I can't remember where I read about the one I posted. That was always the one I used.

Cool, that means I have 308.2 flywheel horsepower.

Does that same formula work for torque?

Yep...works for torque as well. :thumbsup:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I am very partial to Bassani. I have used them on all three of my modular cars. They help increasse peak power some yes, but they give good gains across the entire RPM band as well.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
long tubes = a little loss in tq

just a contour guys .02

White02GT

I have an 02 GT as well, I just had it dyno'd a little while back and I put out 240 rwhp and 273 rwtq. I have silencer removed, bassani x-pipe w/ cats and 2 chamber flows. I don't know what my numbers were stock though, but I like my exhaust combo.

Users who are viewing this thread