Just got my 4.10s in!

black10th vert

Established Member
I love my 4:10s but I still have stock tire w/ 450hp. I can't go over 1/2 throttle in 2nd or it burns the tires. I just got 2 extra wheels for some dr's so that should help alot.

soonerjoe

Established Member
Snarf said:
As far as gas mileage goes, I just got back from a 200 mile round-trip drive on buisness in my vert. Mileage on the highway actually went up about 3-4 MPG! I was cruising at 75 at roughly 2500 rpms. THe drone is totally gone and the car is much quieter now, I couldnt be happier! :)
what mpg did you get?

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
Well, three weeks after the install, I'm still in love with these gears! If you have an 03 and are tempted to pulley it, but want to keep your warranty intact for the duration, go with the gears! You can correct for them with a simple speedcal, and they'll give you a heckuva jump in the sotp meter :)

They make the car 10x more fun to drive! Do it!

Silver 03 Cobra

Mr. Freeze said:
would a set of 8.8 4.10's fit in our irs since its a 8.8 also??

Yes. You use the same gears, bearings and shims for the pinion and carrier.

I run 3.90's with a KB at 19 psi and 611 rwhp SAE and 569 rwt. On cool days I can roll the tires and get it sideways with just throttle (no clutch) at 70 mph on 315 BFG KD's as if it were on wet pavement, second is easy to roll at half throttle going 50. I don't street race so traction is no concern for me. If you street race then a gear will be too much at 500 rwhp up.

I was laid off last year and I installed a KB during my time off. I quit racing it but this spring the bug hit me. I took it easy on it because I didn't want to hurt it. I bought a set of 17 inch ET Streets. I ran it at the local 1/8 and two passes at Rockingham. I really thought the 3.90 gear was too much because it was getting away from me but it turned out I was running too low air (8 psi) in the 17 ET's. They sway too much. I ran 8 psi in 16 inch ET Streets and I burned up two full sets and they handled good at 8 psi. I haven't been back to try them out with around 12-14 psi. I made 8 passes total babying it off the line with 3k rpm launches rather than the 5k I dumped in the past with the 16 inch tires and four of the passes were in the 1.58-1.59 sixty footers. It ran 7.13@103 and [email protected] at Rockingham granny shifting and I had to get off clean off the throttle on the two passes in second gear I made there because the car was drifting into the other lane. I have over 200 passes on the stock clutch. There is no doubt in my mind it will run mid-10s when I can let it loose and get a new clutch. I start my new job in a few days and I finally get to beat the piss out of it with no fear of hurting it.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
im still getting the impression that as a daily driver with 600rwhp gears are an overkill. I can still light up the tires at 60mph in third and drift sideways, cant see gears making that any better or easier.

I cant not punch anything but the top of 3rd and only if a full tank of gas, with gears it sounds like id have to drive on slicks all day long to get anywhere which would mean slower times on the street instead of faster times.

would still like to hear from people in my power range as to what they have tried in terms of gears for the street (not track).

but im pretty convinced if I can melt 335's in 1,2,3, gears will make it worse i think. ah the cons of the dark side of bhp.

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
BuffDigits said:
im still getting the impression that as a daily driver with 600rwhp gears are an overkill. I can still light up the tires at 60mph in third and drift sideways, cant see gears making that any better or easier.

I cant not punch anything but the top of 3rd and only if a full tank of gas, with gears it sounds like id have to drive on slicks all day long to get anywhere which would mean slower times on the street instead of faster times.

would still like to hear from people in my power range as to what they have tried in terms of gears for the street (not track).

but im pretty convinced if I can melt 335's in 1,2,3, gears will make it worse i think. ah the cons of the dark side of bhp.

I haven't gone to 600hp yet (next month), but if you're talking about 335 Mich Pilot Sports...I was loose in 3rd w/475hp...they are worthless. At 600hp drag radials are a NECESSITY...gear or not.

Yes, 1st gear will no doubt be crazy w/4.10's..but I'm pretty sure 2nd & 3rd will hook pretty well judging from how my car acts w/ 315 BFG DR's; light spin in 1st..none in 2nd -3rd.

Unfortunately, we have to drive these cars at little or no boost most of the time :( & that's where the 4.10's wake the car up..It feels... eager...like it just wants to GO!

I intend to keep the 4.10 gears w/600hp.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
um i dont mean break loose in 3rd, I mean they light up big time, breaking loose and chirping is one thing, spinning and blowing tire smoke is another story.

im sure DR's will help, but power is power, it will be interesting to see
what you think when you get too 600+rwhp and good torque.

I know cobra owners with my power range who have gone the other way (ie 3.27) to help make the care more drivable and require a lot less shifting, easier to hook up off the line, etc. with enough power there still freakn fast, even faster since they arent lighting up 1st,2nd, and 3rd anymore.

definately post an update once you upgrade your hp :)

King

Established Member
Well went with 3:73 in my solid axle, cant tell much improvement over my 3:55. Wish i would have went 4:10............i think. My Mach 1 had 4:30and felt a hell of a lot more fun around town. Im with you all on the fact that most of the time we are not making any boost so the cars feel better with steeper gears. My 03 went 11.92 at 122 At Clay City Ky with a 1.98 60' on 315/BFG's was not impressed with these tires on track, but might have been the wrong night. Cant wait to get my ET's back on it and see what it will do. But might slip some old "trusty"4:10 in first

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
Wings65288 said:
yea i'm gonna get 3.90's or 3.73's. this is a daily driver and i cruise the freeway at 75, i think the 3.90's would be perfect but i can't really comment because i've only been in 3.55's

Dont waste your time on 3.73's. Thats only one gear up from stock and wouldnt be worth the money of installation. But thats just my opinion.

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Why???

jlondon said:
I'd be all over 4.10's if we had a .50 6th

Don't need it...unless you need a top end over...195 (6600). It cruises @ 85/2900 ...soooooo smooooth :D

grnenvy

Established Member
hmm

First gear on the street is the most important gear aspecially in a street race from a light. If you guys are spinning in first due to the 4.10 gears you will lose. Those 4 wheel drive imports will love that. Traction is the name of the game. I like the 3.55s and actually went with a taller tire to lose some gear I run a 27 inch hoosier and the car ran a 1.51 short time at the track. But yeah the 4.10s have to be alot of fun.

BadAzztt

Established Member
Well I've put about 1500 miles on the 4.30's now and I think it's one of the best mods I have done. I tgot rid of the sleepy feeling it had down low and rolls out easily. I find it makes launching alot easier not harder. You don't have to have as much finess with the gas.

When it had 3.55's and you gave a little too much gas you spun if too little it bogged. Now you can compensate real easily without it ever falling on it's face, and because it revs through firt so fast your right into second and full on the throttle.

And in case anybodies wondering I'm not a stock pullied car. I have 2.8 upper and 4 lb lower on a steggy port.

I 'll let you know what happens once I unleash the bottle.

Z O SICK

Established Member
I have over 200 passes on the stock clutch.

:eek: :eek: We must have gotten the same stock clutch. My stocky clutch is holding up pretty well with my KB. I've done quite a few dead dig runs and tons of banging of the gears on the street. I think the stock clutch is pretty damn good for what it is. I'm sure it will go out now that i've said this though lol.

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
BadAzztt said:
I find it makes launching alot easier not harder. You don't have to have as much finess with the gas.

When it had 3.55's and you gave a little too much gas you spun if too little it bogged. Now you can compensate real easily without it ever falling on it's face, and because it revs through firt so fast your right into second and full on the throttle.

I agree 100%. My 4.10s have made it infinitely easier to launch well, they give you more margin for error. If you're at all considering this mod, DO IT!!! You'll love every second of it!

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Street racing 101

grnenvy said:
First gear on the street is the most important gear aspecially in a street race from a light. If you guys are spinning in first due to the 4.10 gears you will lose. Those 4 wheel drive imports will love that. Traction is the name of the game. I like the 3.55s and actually went with a taller tire to lose some gear I run a 27 inch hoosier and the car ran a 1.51 short time at the track. But yeah the 4.10s have to be alot of fun.

This reminds me of one of ..MY..rules of street racing.....

Only race under..YOUR...terms. If someone with a 4wd wants to race...fine...we'll go from a roll. Don't like it...Ba-Bye. You DON'T have to race EVERYONE who calls you out, the way THEY want to.

Big Block wants to race...great...we go from the TOP (past his torque peak) of.. HIS..1st or 2nd.
The idea is to WIN...not make friends. You maximize YOUR strength...not play into ..HIS.

Class dismissed

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
It's all about traction. Your car will lose traction at "X" torque factor.

With 4.10's you are multiplying torque at a greater factor than with 3.55's which equals more control over revs per mile (tires) with revs per minute (engine). If you have huge torque (simple or multiplied), you need more traction, or more self-control. The idea of the 4.10's is to get the mass moving. Wheel-spin is easier to control with deeper gears. The same principles apply to 4wd. That's why there is a "low" range. Try to pull out of a mudhole with short gears (losing traction at "X" torque factor). Yet, you can pull out of that same hole with the same vehicle by shifting into "low" range because each rpm is having less effect on the wheel speed. You have multiplied the torque to a point that it more easily controlled.

I have run 4.10's in everything from a 240hp Ranger to my current 485hp Cobra vert. In my opinion, gearing comes first. All other things being equal, I can line up against a 3.55 geared car with 10%-15% more hp & kick his a$$. I've done it over & over. I stay closer to my peak power than he will.

One of my favorite passtimes with the Ranger was blowing off 300hp Silverados. Badly. Usually had to do it twice 'cause they refused to believe it the first time.

My experience has shown me that I need to go with the gears. I do not know anyone who consistently performs well at the strip, or the track, that doesn't love deep gears. In fact, I don't know ANYONE going back after trying deep gears. Great example is a guy here with a sixty-something Dodge Coronet. Blown 426, 4-speed, & 5-something rear with traction. Looks like a bullfrog out of the hole, race over. Of course, not something you'd want to drive to work every day.

BTW, from a dead stop, my pedal doesn't touch the floor 'til 3rd gear (usually), & I try NOT to spin the tires (but you always do a little). Another side benefit, 6th gear now has a reason for being there.

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
BadAzztt said:
Well I've put about 1500 miles on the 4.30's now and I think it's one of the best mods I have done.
I have 2.8 upper and 4 lb lower on a steggy port. I 'll let you know what happens once I unleash the bottle.

Dam I was thinking 4.10's were to much!! But 4.30's....that must feel insane! Is your cobra a D.D.??

jlondon

Joe King said:
Don't need it...unless you need a top end over...195 (6600). It cruises @ 85/2900 ...soooooo smooooth :D

I think I may drive faster on the interstate than most. My highway trips are usually crusing at 100, which is about 3000 rpm now. And I wish it were around 2400 rpm. If I need power in 6th, I'll just shift to 5th. :)

Users who are viewing this thread