Just got my 4.10s in!

grnenvy

Established Member
lol

On the street a race is usually from a light. Racing from a roll or when cruising down the highway is gay. A true street car has it from start to finish. On the streets of Philly you would get laughed at is someone said lets race from 50 and up. Thats rice style. Now if you can't get traction from a dead stop then you will lose and maybe you should work on your driving a little. With the clutch and slip plus all the tq these engines make there is no reason to gear these cars more then 373. Look at the new shelby cobra alot of tq and hp less gear 327s.

Joe King said:
This reminds me of one of ..MY..rules of street racing.....

Only race under..YOUR...terms. If someone with a 4wd wants to race...fine...we'll go from a roll. Don't like it...Ba-Bye. You DON'T have to race EVERYONE who calls you out, the way THEY want to.

Big Block wants to race...great...we go from the TOP (past his torque peak) of.. HIS..1st or 2nd.
The idea is to WIN...not make friends. You maximize YOUR strength...not play into ..HIS.

Class dismissed

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
grnenvy said:
On the street a race is usually from a light. Racing from a roll or when cruising down the highway is gay. A true street car has it from start to finish. On the streets of Philly you would get laughed at is someone said lets race from 50 and up. Thats rice style. Now if you can't get traction from a dead stop then you will lose and maybe you should work on your driving a little. With the clutch and slip plus all the tq these engines make there is no reason to gear these cars more then 373. Look at the new shelby cobra alot of tq and hp less gear 327s.

I honestly think the only reason you believe this is because you've never driven a geared 03/04. You're really missing out. A race is a race is a race. I don't really care how you choose to start/finish it. So long as its a speed competition with a known start and finish, thats a race.

Last edited:

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
ShelbyGuy
dont fear the gear with a mod motor.
Can I hear an AMEN !!

Snarf
I honestly think the only reason you believe this is because you've never driven a geared 03/04. You're really missing out.
That is the case 99.99% of the time.

grnenvy
Look at the new shelby cobra alot of tq and hp less gear 327s.
So? :rollseyes Look how many things they didn't get right on our 03/04's. If you want to see one of those things really haul a$$, put some decent gears in it!

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2337684#post2337684
The 4.10 gears really transform the car in part throttle operation. It feels much lighter and more nimble. And under full throttle the car is a little rocket! Yes you can easily blow off the tires if you just stomp on it but if you squeeze the throttle you accellerate much faster and with much more control of tire spin. With the lower gear it actually does not spin the tires as fast. This is why most serious drag racing cars do their burnout in 2nd gear to spin the tires faster!

I think that the only people who would not use the 4.10's are only those that have not tried them. Anyway I highly recommend the 4.10 gears!

Gord

GordsFord Performance
03 Cobra Black Coupe #5777 Rc'd Sept. 05, 2002
2000 Expedition
1992 Mustang GT ( Wife's car!)
1987 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
1974 Detomasso Pantera
1970 Maverick-Boss 302 - NHRA B/SM
1966 Mustang GT Fastback
1966 Mustang Cpe - Boss 302, 4.57
1955 Thunderbird

Someone else speaking from experience.

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Really...?

grnenvy said:

Not to get pissy..but...since when is ...How you do it in Philly...THE way?

As an old fart....you young whippersnappers...might show some respect for we pioneers...I raced with "BIG Willy" in LA (2000 cars) in the 60's...so please don't tell me what is gay...or rice.

I'm not about to abuse my ride racing a Subi shitbox out of the hole..just because its..manly. Like I said..my way or the highway...

The new gt500 uses a 3.31 gear because its a long stroke 6000 redline motor..I doubt maximum traction was the motivation.

Last edited:

grnenvy

Established Member
lol

lol, my family has been racing for years and my father had more race cars than most with a ton of wins all over. Also I'm not a you guy like most of the guys on this site. I'm just bored and like to talk. I'm not knocking you guys I just saying the gear change in my opinion is going backwards and until I lose to a lower geared cobra on the street I will stay with the 355s. I could see a gear change helping a stock car but a car with more then 450rwtq thats another story.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
well those are certainly the answers I was looking for, at 600rwhp and 565tq I cant see 3.90's or 4.10's being even remotely useful on my car. Ill probably stick with the 3.55's as well.

BadAzztt

Established Member
stang1909- Yes my car is a daily driver, I drive 45 miles each way to and from work, and I love every minute of it.

Grnenvy- I grew up racing on the streets of Philly, back in the day when the racing was good before the Hondas took over. When the big thing was front street and 11th(before the staduim was there) in south Philly. And of course holstein and those in southwest. I have always agreed in racing from a dig and that is the way it should be, but the point I think your missing is the gears help, not hurt. Hell I used to run a big block chevelle with way more torque than this with 4.56 gears. And my uncle's 71 mach with a 6-71 charger and 5.13's with a 4 speed top loader.

Torque is not a new thing, if you think it is visit the big block days of the late 60's and early 70's. Those cars redlined at 5000 grand and I would still gear the hell out of them. Trust me when I say the mod motor was meant to be revved, torque or not.

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
I've got another few weeks experience with the 4.10's since the last thread, and just completed the Stiegemeier porting and 2.76" pulley thing. Added over 80 rwhp.

My conclusion?

Still the same. The 4.10 gears totally transform the part throttle driveability and I believe the car will just flat leave behind a similar car with the same mod's and 3.55 gears, at any gear, and at any speed.

Tire spin can be "induced" at almost any time in first and second gears by just stabbing the tires, but it can also be controlled much more easily with the lower gears because the tires do spin as fast. The throttle can be varied from 0 to 100%, it is not just an on/off switch!!

I don't have the next step - KB or Whipple HP levels yet so I can't say the conclusion will be the same with 600 rwhp at full throttle runs. However I do know that the driveability for probably more than 95% of your driving will still be much better.

Gord

Gord Zonailo
GordsFord Performance
www.gordsford.com

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
03 svtvenom said:
Will you guys quit posting this crap before I end up with 4.10's in my car! :bash:

:lol:

it's too late for me....I'm building up a second IRS to swap into mine and it's getting 4.10's

already having Viper 5th and 6th gears made my decision even easier...

OnceBitten

Established Member
To all those knocking the 4.10 crowd, are your traction concerns due to having regular radials, or will drag radials allow you to run the 4.10 at WOT in first and second with little or no traction problems?

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
OnceBitten said:
To all those knocking the 4.10 crowd, are your traction concerns due to having regular radials, or will drag radials allow you to run the 4.10 at WOT in first and second with little or no traction problems?

I cant even do that with the stock gears and the Nitto DR's.

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
OnceBitten said:

To answer your question, simply, yes. I have run both 275/40 Nitto DRs, and 275/40 BFG KDW's on my vert. The DR's stick like glue and you can hammer the throttle to WOT pretty much anywhere, anytime, without any issues.

My KDW's aren't the best street tire for hook out there, but even so, they'll take almost everything you can give them in 1st, so long as you're allready rolling. You can feel them want to spin a little bit, and sometimes they will, if the road surface is dirty. From a dig, yeah you can make them howl. Any street tire for that matter.

Last edited:

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
No, you'll still top out in sixth. 4.10s actually make 6th a usuable gear on the highway. 6th pulls pretty good from about 70 mph [2400rpms approx.] on up. The highest I've ever had this thing was 120ish [4500ish rpms IIRC] and the car showed no signs of letting off anytime soon, lol.

GET THE GEARS!! :) You will love them!!!!

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
The DR's stick like glue and you can hammer the throttle to WOT pretty much anywhere, anytime, without any issues.

k, so say you have 600rwhp like me think you can still do that?

ill answer for you, no. and 4.10s make it even harder to get any traction unless your running slicks.

but i appreciate the enthusiam for these 4.10 gears, you get them and enjoy them thats great, but before anyone else says how great they are how about someone with some serious HP that drives it on the street :)

I can spin any tire at this point at 60mph with stock gears as ive demonstrated to a few people. so a disagree that the only people who dont like gears are people with street tires, I think its also the people with more power.

I just tried some dr's, lite them up like they were made of butter, 1st, 2nd still useless with stock gears, 3rd finally was able to hook up :) power is power plain and simple, I certinaly am not kidding myself I know a 675hp car isnt going to hook up on the street with street tires but I also know gears do not make that possibility any more likely.

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
Well duh man. If you have that much rwhp OF COURSE 4.10s wont be so great for ya. Don't be stupid. For the other 95% of ppl who are below the 550 mark, these are great :)

BadAzztt

Established Member
I haven't dyno'd my car yet but I'm looking to put down some goos numbers and will still never regret my gears. I have the stieg port with supporting mods 2.8 upper and 4lb lower probably in the 515-530 range and am adding a bottle on top of that. Don't fear the gear.

Users who are viewing this thread