Just got my 07 GT500, Questions

Qwk GT

Established Member
Hey Everyone,

Just traded in my 04 Cobra for an 07 GT500 and had some questions. There were some differences from my old car and just wanted to verify its normal.

When I go WOT, I don't really hear a "whine" inside like my 04. Its more of a fluttering sound. The boost gauge shows about 8lbs I believe. Just thought I would hear more of a whine?

I also drove it around for a couple of hours, then let it sit for about an hour and a half. When I started it back up the heat was cold, but as soon as I drove it, it heated up. My 04 could sit that long and when started back up the heat would be hot still.

Other than that, I really like this car so far. Just expected it to be closer to my pullied cobra's performance (I'm assuming this is normal).

It's an 07 w/ 10k miles, all stock except mufflers, white w/blue stripes.

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Both issues are normal.

If you want to hear more whine, you'll need to install a CAI. A smaller upper pulley will help too.

Seahorse

Established Member
Completely stock, the blower is pretty quiet - but as evasive said, a CAI and pulley and she'll start screaming right nicely LOL. Re the heat, it's a big old iron lump of an engine, takes awhile to heat up again if it's cooled down.

acobra03

Established Member
You're pullied 04 most likely makes more power then then a stock 07 gt500. Not only that the 04 is a couple of hundred pounds lighter. I noticed the same thing when I went from my 03 cobra to my 09 gt500. My pullied 03 made 462 hp at the wheels. A stock 07-09 will make about 410-420 at the wheels, combine that with the extra weight and you have your answer.

AlCaPwn

Established Member
Wait til you start modding this car like you did your '03! The main thing I noticed going from my kb Cobra to the GT500 is how much more tame the GT500 feels. In some respects that was welcome, but I missed alot of the hotrod feel of my '03. In my '03 it felt like you could "feel" every single RWHP. Now that I have begun to mod my GT500 I am beginning to get more of that hotrod feel back while keeping the parts I enjoyed about the tameness of the GT500. It is hard to explain, but basically my modded GT500 is the best of both worlds. It'll hurt losin your old girl at first but this car will have you forgetting it in no time!

Qwk GT

Established Member
Thanks for the input. I expected it to be quieter, but I thought it would be a faint wine. I was originally worried as it sounded like a different tone. Hard to explain, just sounded like fluttering type sound.

Regarding the heat, I was just worried maybe I was low on coolant or something, but from what I'm reading I guess everything is normal.

Guess its going to get some mods soon.

Grabber07'

Established Member
You should hear a faint whine when at full throttle mid to upper RPMs. My 2010 was even more quiet then the 07-09 and I could still hear a faint whine.

But like others have stated....CAI, Pulley, and tune and it gets much much louder

Red10thcv

Established Member
Wait til you start modding this car like you did your '03! The main thing I noticed going from my kb Cobra to the GT500 is how much more tame the GT500 feels. In some respects that was welcome, but I missed alot of the hotrod feel of my '03. In my '03 it felt like you could "feel" every single RWHP. Now that I have begun to mod my GT500 I am beginning to get more of that hotrod feel back while keeping the parts I enjoyed about the tameness of the GT500. It is hard to explain, but basically my modded GT500 is the best of both worlds. It'll hurt losin your old girl at first but this car will have you forgetting it in no time!

+1 Couldn't have said it any better.
Kept the 10thcv, but sold my bulldog '03 SB Cobra. The launch was awesome! But the Shelby is so much more refined with horsepower.
Plus being 58 years old, I love the retro look. Just beware of Mod Fever!!!

Users who are viewing this thread