Just got busted for drag racing..how much trouble am I in?

SilverELEX

Established Member
Ok guys heres the situation. Went out tonight and lined up with a bike. Stupid move, really stupid, and got caught simple as that. I got issued three tickets and are as follows: drag racing, 40 over, and squeeling my tires. I got arrested and everything. Very embarassing and I have definately learned my lesson. So now my question is whats going to happen when I go to court? I am sure I need a lawyer, correct? Also I am on supervision for 2 previous tickets, one in dec. and one in feb. Am I completly screwed? Will I lose my liscence? I just kind of want to know what im in for. Thanks for any input.

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
i'd put money on loss of license for 6 months along with punishment for the the penalty of the 2 tickets your on "probation" for already. Better lube up.

SilverELEX

Established Member
EATONSRT said:
i'd put money on loss of license for 6 months along with punishment for the the penalty of the 2 tickets your on "probation" for already. Better lube up.

Thanks for the info anyways, but im not looking for speculation unless youre an LEO. I probably should have stated in my original post that I prefer LEOs, only, to reply.

TrickStang37

Established Member
that cop must have been having a bad day. kinda double dipping there with the squeeling tires and racing. surprised he didnt just throw in exhibtion of speed, reckless driving, disturbing the peace, aiding and abbeting, etc.

SilverELEX

Established Member
TrickStang37 said:
that cop must have been having a bad day. kinda double dipping there with the squeeling tires and racing. surprised he didnt just throw in exhibtion of speed, reckless driving, disturbing the peace, aiding and abbeting, etc.

Yeah I dont know. I was being extremely cooperative, but yeah it didnt seem like he was going to cut any slack.

txyaloo

Established Member
Most states cut no slack when it comes to street racing. You're lucky it didn't happen in Texas or the state would have become the owners of a new mustang.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/rules_of_the_road/rr_chap06.html

Revocation is the indefinite withdrawal of driving privileges by the Secretary of State’s office. To regain your driving privileges, you may be eligible to reapply for a license after a minimum of one year, unless otherwise noted.

Revocation of your license is a very serious matter. Your driver’s license will be revoked if you are convicted of the following offenses:

DRAG RACING: Illegally racing with another vehicle.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=062500050K11-504

Any person who, as an operator of a motor vehicle, is convicted of being a participant in drag racing shall be guilty of a Class C misdemeanor, and the driver's license of such person shall be revoked

Sounds like you're screwed...

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
SilverELEX said:
Thanks for the info anyways, but im not looking for speculation unless youre an LEO. I probably should have stated in my original post that I prefer LEOs, only, to reply.

Per the rules .. if you want LEOs only you have to put it in the title of the post not the post itself. I learned the difference the hard way lol.

but the first responder was absolutely spot on. You are on PROBATION, which means the original sentence of the first two tickest will likely now be imposed and the penalties for the subsequent tickets will likely be worse than otherwise.

Get a good lawyer .. but even with a good lawyer take some lube with you hopefully the judge will give you what you have earned

KingCobra10Sec

Project Cobra R in Progre
Established Member
Just my personal opinion, I hope you normally catch a bus or train to work, atleast you will have downtime to save money for mod's

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
damn, why would you race if your on Supervision already. Thats really going to mess up your record. Don't they re-instate your 2 supervision ticket and add them to your record if you screw up??

Off-topic: Where abouts in chicago are ya?
Im on supervision also. Just take it slow when all this BS is over and GOODLUCK.

Last edited:

SilverELEX

Established Member
twista said:
damn, why would you race if your on Supervision already. Thats really going to mess up your record. Don't they re-instate your 2 supervision ticket and add them to your record if you screw up??

Off-topic: Where abouts in chicago are ya?
Im on supervision also. Just take it slow when all this BS is over and GOODLUCK.

Well I raced because, well, I had a moment of idiocy. And yea, im playin it cool from now on. Def learned my lesson after last night. BTW im from the Downers Grove area. On aother note the officer said I should be off of supervision for one of the tickets by the time I have my court date.

Last edited:

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
This happend to me a couple of years ago. I got a good lawyer, spent a couple of grand and two months in court worrying. I got the speeding ticket thrown out and "drag racing" reduced to reckless driving (6pts). Needless to say that was the end of my street racing days and i must admit it has definately taken some of the fun away from the car.

This is why I kinda laugh at all of us muscle car guys driving around on the street with all this HP because if you ever get caught using that HP you pay a huge price! I almost lost my job for cryin' out loud and then all daddy's toys, not to mention my way of life, would of went bye bye. I still love my car and I'll always have "the need for speed" but I am constantly looking over my shoulder when I "Sample the Power" :).

Good Luck and save it for the track.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
did the bike get stopped too?? I'm from MA and it sounds like the laws are a little different. I do agree he could have hit you with much more though so maybe thats a good thing. I would be prepared for the worst though. Hopefully things go well.

btw....did u win??

SilverELEX

Established Member
BADASS03SVT said:
did the bike get stopped too?? I'm from MA and it sounds like the laws are a little different. I do agree he could have hit you with much more though so maybe thats a good thing. I would be prepared for the worst though. Hopefully things go well.

btw....did u win??

No, the bike never stopped. Well, he started to pull over but then kept on going. As far as being much worse, im not sure it can be. The race was pretty short, i made it to 3rd gear and we were dead even.

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
SilverELEX said:
...Def learned my lesson after last night...

You "learned your lesson" to stop racing on the street because of punishment but not because of the danger it imposes to the public.

What you've really learned from this, as with most things, is it sucks BIG time when you get caught. :bored:

Learn to know when to play and when not to play. In your case, it was when not to play - especially when you're *already* on frickin probation!

SilverELEX

Established Member
WTF said:
You "learned your lesson" to stop racing on the street because of punishment but not because of the danger it imposes to the public.

What you've really learned from this, as with most things, is it sucks BIG time when you get caught. :bored:

Learn to know when to play and when not to play. In your case, it was when not to play - especially when you're *already* on frickin probation!

Correction big guy......I am aware of the danger it imposes which is why this is the first time in many years I have even bothered with it. It was a stupid one time thing and yeah I got nailed. I HIGHLY doubt you are in any position to so graciously let me know what I have and havent learned from this experience.:rollseyes

Last edited:

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
SilverELEX said:
...I am aware of the danger it imposes which is why this is the first time in many years I have even bothered with it. It was a stupid one time thing ...

:rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes

Such a saint!

I had never robbed a liquor store either... except just this one time...

Last edited:

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
WTF said:

I'm going to have to say that doing a highway pull from 50-100 mph with no traffic is much safer than people talking on their cell phones.

For once I'd like a LEO to admit that there are bigger problems out there. While street racing in city environments is retarded, there needs to be different statutes. Losing your car for a highway pull is absurd. I know you guys hear this over and over again, but street racing kills what 20 people a year? Out of those deaths I bet less than 2 were from a highway run, others are from people being idiots.

SilverELEX

Established Member
WTF said:
:rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes

Such a saint!

I had never robbed a liquor store either... except just this one time...

Yeah, well I really appreciate the moral lesson and all :loser: ...but lets keep this on the topic of the legalities of the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread