Just got back from dyno bad noise from blower.

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Ok guys I just got home from the dyno. My blower is making a bad noise now. Its a ported blower and it was not making this noise on the way up there. The car runs fine but when you give it gas there is a delay before the boost hits. Not sure if its related or not yet. I took a video, what do you guys think?

th_VIDEO0095.jpg

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Man that sucks, did your tuner have any idea.

Are you sure it's coming from the blower?

I'd pull the belt off the blower and start the car just to see if the noise is still there.

Also while the belt is off your could spin all the pulleys just to check

Good Luck

Kris

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Man that sucks, did your tuner have any idea.

Are you sure it's coming from the blower?

I'd pull the belt off the blower and start the car just to see if the noise is still there.

Also while the belt is off your could spin all the pulleys just to check

Good Luck

Kris

+1 start simple and go from there.

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
I will try that. I put 200 miles on the car. On the third and final pull after it was done it made this noise. I thought it was my throwout bearing coming apart finally because the squeaking stopped. But my brother said it feels like its in the blower if you set your hand on it.

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Yea I dont believe that is the issue. There are no leaks. I ran it without the belt and the noise stopped. it is definitely internal.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Kyle you sure have run into issues, hang in there man.

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Brady tell me about it. One thing after another. I should have just built it from the ground up. I have to do my throwout bearing yet now im questioning a spec 3+ while im in there.

Now you say rebuild the snout? Is it possibly a worn bearing there or something?

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Use a mechanics stheoscope or long screwdriver to pinpoint. You should be able to tell where that is coming from in a matter of minutes. Place on the blower snout, accessory components, bolts holding the idlers and tensioners, etc.

Any of the components could have failed at high rpm so really could be any of them. Have you checked the blower oil level/condition just for grins?

SV

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
So you guys are saying when I ran it with the belt off and didnt hear it that it could not be the blower? You are saying a bad alternator or something could make the noise? Im 90% sure its the blower, it sounds like it up on top, and my brother said with his hand on the blower you could feel something vibrating. I will check again too be sure I suppose.

Also thanks cj. I would have to double check with this. I have never heard of any problems with Johnnys ports. I plan on pulling the snout tomorrow and seeing if I can see anything. Not what I looked forward too after all of the money I just dumped in this project lol.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So you guys are saying when I ran it with the belt off and didnt hear it that it could not be the blower? You are saying a bad alternator or something could make the noise? Im 90% sure its the blower, it sounds like it up on top, and my brother said with his hand on the blower you could feel something vibrating. I will check again too be sure I suppose.

Also thanks cj. I would have to double check with this. I have never heard of any problems with Johnnys ports. I plan on pulling the snout tomorrow and seeing if I can see anything. Not what I looked forward too after all of the money I just dumped in this project lol.

Yes check all idlers and tensioner before you pull the blower. Turn them by hand to see if you feel anything abnormal. Also do it with blower pulley. I'd also put a stethoscope on all parts that could be the culprit while engine is running with belt on.

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
We turned the blower by hand. There is a little click. John said it was normal. But if you spin it hard and let it go its alot louder, like something is moving a hair.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
We turned the blower by hand. There is a little click. John said it was normal. But if you spin it hard and let it go its alot louder, like something is moving a hair.

Yeah clicking sound is normal. I know the bushings have been known to go bad on the eatons.

holiks03cobra

Established Member
I had a noise similar to what yours sounds like. I swore it was coming from the blower. I pulled it and sent it to whipple and they said the blower looks great but I still had it rebuilt. Come to find out, the nut that holds the alternator pulley on came off and that's what was causing the noise. Just something you might want to check.

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
I will check over everything on the drive belt. It really really sounds like its coming from the blower though. I will check the alternator. We buzzed the nut on with an impact but im willing to do about anything before I yank this thing again.

Users who are viewing this thread