Just got a 04 svtf! Now what mods to buy?

svtcolo

Established Member
hello Im a new member just got a 2004 svt focus w 54k and I was wondering if the focus experts out there would tell me what the best and most effective mods for this car would be. This car is great! HIDs, recaro racing seats, six spd tranny, redlines at 7000, in a focus? who knew? anyway this is what ive got planned...

my off road pipe from cfm is in the mail
short shifter from ford racing is on the way
svt short ram from steeda in the plan

what other mods do you suggest? and a few more questions....

ported and polished throttle body from also planned, but which one?
what is a tune?
which exhaust is the best bang for the buck? bosal, magna, or borla(ford racing)?
is a used supercharger a bad idea?

Any info would be great! I can't wait to get to work on this car.

Lightningfr

Banned
get the cold air intake off ebay for 80$ thats what i did and several others dont pay for the name
congrats i miss mine what color did you get and how much did you pay?

Primaris

Established Member
Congrats! I'm not much for mods, so I recommend you spend the money on autocrosses, track days, and driving schools. Oh and tires for what I just said. :p

02AllBlackSVT

Hmm....
Established Member
Lightningfr said:
get the cold air intake off ebay for 80$ thats what i did and several others dont pay for the name
congrats i miss mine what color did you get and how much did you pay?

Did you still find them? I couldnt find the cheap ones anymore. And since I lost mine in my other svt I have to get another but I was thinking more SRI, so I dont have to mess with the low filter.

And congrats to you on the pick up svtcolo.

HTPerformance

I have an 2 different kinds of underdrive crank pullies for sale. should be 4-6whp and similar torque gains for $80-100.

Lemme know if you want one.

Lightningfr

Banned
02AllBlackSVT said:
Did you still find them? I couldnt find the cheap ones anymore. And since I lost mine in my other svt I have to get another but I was thinking more SRI, so I dont have to mess with the low filter.

And congrats to you on the pick up svtcolo.

ill try to find it

shlbygt

Established Member
Primaris said:
Congrats! I'm not much for mods, so I recommend you spend the money on autocrosses, track days, and driving schools. Oh and tires for what I just said. :p
Ding-Ding-Ding.. We have the correct answer.
The SVT Focus is far more capable the the average driver. Take the car to an autocross or HPDE and have a ball in it.
SVTOA will be holding its first national convention July 8 & 9 at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele Utah. Two days on track with instruction and we will be running the full course one of the days.

Unless a supercharger is the modification of choice, you will be wasting money. Most of the horsepower tricks were done by the SVT engineers considering they took a ~120hp engine and gave it 170 hp. The low hanging fruit has already been picked. Cold Air Kits, filters, pulleys and such are little more than snake oil as far as real performance is concerned.
What do you plan on doing with the off road pipe when the vehicle's emissions are due??

svtcolo

Established Member
they don't test emissions in the county i live in. Lucky me! That pipe claims 7-9 hp and 10lbs. I can't wait to get that on there. Cold air intake should help the breatheability of the car, and saving up for the supercharger is my next chore. The jackson racing supercharger looks like a nice kit, the price is pretty decent for the power gains and warranty as well.

As for sway bars, who knows which is better? K+N or eibach? the eibach's are thinner, but i presume they create less oversteer. has anyone had anyproblems with oversteer with the K+N bars?

6SpeedLover

Established Member
Congrats on the 04 Foci Bro.... I have a few mods, but the one that really made a differance out of the hole was the Ported Throttle Body. There is alot of guys speaking from experience on this site (listen to them) im not one of them. I just go for more Hp, and thats it (I like to drag race) I dont put the SVTFocus to test with Auto-Crossing (which the car is made for) But I do eat my share or V-Techs up on the strip lol.....But if you want to Auto-Cross your car, listen to these guys closely (ive seen there videos) and they are impressive. Good luck on what-ever you do Bro, keep us posted!!!

Primaris

Established Member
svtcolo said:
.... Cold air intake should help the breatheability of the car, and saving up for the supercharger is my next chore. ...

Just so you know the SVTF already has a cold air intake and the shorty after market intakes just get rid of it.

svtcolo

Established Member
thanks for all the info, it will be valuable in the coming weeks!! is the stock airbox a true cold-air? are aftermarket options less restrictive?

svt mike

Established Member
I have a ram air that i make myself that works better than any aftermarket cai or short ram if youre interested. I did the tests to prove it. I can shoot you some pics if you want, send me a PM and ill send you a couple.

svtcolo

Established Member
sorry svt mike, just b4 checking this forum i grabbed a steeda short ram off ebay for 125. the guy i bought it from lives on my way to work. appreciate the offer though.

Users who are viewing this thread