just got 2001 Dodge ram 5.2L 2WD, what are my lifting options?

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
just got a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD w/5.2L. gonna put catback (looking for options there too), tires (31-33") and rims (15" most likely). was figuring to do a small lift (2-4"), nothing crazy. What are my options? and what forums are good for this stuff. It's like a whole new world ;)

Last edited:

02wingless

ASE Master L1
Established Member
I had a 01' Goat before I got into the mustang deal. 3" suspension lifts are reasonably priced and can hold a 35" tire with the right backspacing. I just ran 33"tsl's on some dished out eagle alloys with no rubbing problems. I know a couple of years ago, www.pavementsucks.com was really big into the solid axle dodge stuff. Good luck with your ride, be aware of transmission problems and I broke a pinion gear one time under warranty once. If you start running oversize tires, frequent services should help prevent problems. The 5.2s are great engines though, slightly down on power, but I've really never done anything more than water pumps and t-stats at the dealer.

Common

Established Member
I say, go get a loan and do it right, I say a 12"lift with some 44's and whole new custom drivetrain.

Get gears, huge tires, straight pipes and intake if you really want to get good gas mileage.

Estimated cost, 9,000$

Good luck.

bettner12

Iraq bound
Established Member
because he can...ground clearance is one thing, traction is something else completely
the baja pre-runners are 2wd, lets bash them for it...

Common

Established Member
because he can...ground clearance is one thing, traction is something else completely
the baja pre-runners are 2wd, lets bash them for it...

Those are purpose built cars. Lifting a 2wd truck is, by far, the most retarded thing.

Ohms

Established Member
I dont understand why people hate when dudes lift there 2wd trucks, who cares? Its his truck let him do what he wants. Id lift it for sure, definitly would look better lifted then stock, regardless if you plan to wheel it or not.. But if you dont plan on wheeling it, I wouldnt go for a very agressive tire due to handling loss and the added noise plus agressive tires just dont wear very well. a regular mud terrain, or agressive all terrain will still give u the look, but keep the on road manners in check.

I drive a Grand cherokee 5.9L with 6" Long arm lift and 33x12.50" interco swampers daily, its not the best street tire but for my offroad adventures its awsome so I just compromised.

Users who are viewing this thread