just finished installing my gears...

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
and it was not hard at all. I also put all new axle bearings and seals. the hardest part was setting in the right amount of shims to get the proper backlash. so if any of you guys are debating wether or not to do it...just do it.it didnt take but about 5 or 6 hours. the shimming took me about 2 hours. the rest was a breeze..now for the break in period.

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
hahahah...yeah everyone has a mixed opinoin on that.but i wil break them in.no rush.i will just drive the car to work and school this week instead of the dd.and put a few hundred miles on them.plus the nitrous bottle is empty..hahaha

c9obr6a

Established Member
Probaly nothing but if your cruch collar wasn't preloaded correct alot of time the pinion nut will back off, this way you can catch it before its not to late. I've seen it happen alot for return axle failures.

red9450

Established Member
I made it out of the parking lot before I "broke" my gears in with a good romp.

I went down the road with my new rear in the car, promising myself that I would do the break-in. Well, needless to say, I turned the corner, and started my way through a tunnel and :burnout: :banana::banana:

c9obr6a

Established Member
Go easy for 500 miles so every thing seats properly. They even have a break in period when they get tested on the dynos. Your taking a chance of spinnig a bearing or breaking a ring gear tooth.

Users who are viewing this thread