Just finished installing an 03 IRS

ogc

Established Member
wow what a difference, going from 80000 mile worn out suspension to an independant rear with H&R race springs and Bilstien shocks and struts. Its an entirely new car, handles amazingly quiet as anything and oh so smooth.

It was alot of work to get it to fit in the 97 because there where two bolt holes that were not in the frame. It took alot of time to make them and such. Not to mention we had to pull the fuel tank and everything.

In the end though deffinately worth it to someone who enjoys the winding roads.

ogc

Established Member
theDRIVER said:
pictures?

You can't see much but I couldnt get a good picture because the car is so damned low you cant see anything... But you can see the exhaust, which is cool now, anyone who knows stangs will see that and just give it a WTF

1080852_img.jpg

Last edited:

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
what wheels are on your car? It looks like it definately set the wheels out farther, which looks way better than stock. I have been wanting to do this with my Cobra.

ogc

Established Member
theDRIVER said:
i've been thinking about this strongly for my 98. just out of curiousity, cost?

It only cost me 500$ and that was to buy the Bilstien shocks and struts and the H&R race springs. The IRS I did an even trade for, my buddy took my solid rear I took his IRS.

Labour would probably cost quite a bit if you paid someone to do it. Me and my buddy did it ourselves.

The one thing I should warn you about are the two bolts on the bottom of the frame that pre 99 cars dont have holes for. They are used to attach the rear IRS bracket, apparently a 99 and 01 IRS does not use these bolt holes but Im not sure. Either way drilling the holes in the frame is a major pain in the ass, especially on the passenger side because you have to drop the fuel tank and hold the lines out of the way.

Other than that the swap is eay to do and very straight forward.

ogc

Established Member
Tony 96 Cobra said:
what wheels are on your car? It looks like it definately set the wheels out farther, which looks way better than stock. I have been wanting to do this with my Cobra.

They are american racing TTII's 17x9.5 in the rear. The cars stance is awesome now with the wider axle, the H&R race springs are awesome too, give the car an awesome stance and stiffen it up nicely.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
How much difference can you tell on a hard launch? Do you have wheel hop now vs. the old solid axle?

ogc

Established Member
Hersheyman said:
How much difference can you tell on a hard launch? Do you have wheel hop now vs. the old solid axle?

I havnt launched it hard yet but I have had the tires spinning and I have not felt any wheel hop at all. The 03 and 04 IRS is supposedly ALOT better than the 99 and 01 for wheel hop. My step mother drives an 01 cobra and that thing gets it pretty bad.

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
That rear looks sick and being a fanatic I would def knkow you had IRS in an SN95 by the exhaust. So how does the exhaust work? I know the 97s have diff hangers than the 98-04 and you obviously have the 99+ IRS catback :shrug: Looks real sick. I always loved how the IRS catback looks where you can see the piping go under the axle.

ogc

Established Member
doubletrouble said:
That rear looks sick and being a fanatic I would def knkow you had IRS in an SN95 by the exhaust. So how does the exhaust work? I know the 97s have diff hangers than the 98-04 and you obviously have the 99+ IRS catback :shrug: Looks real sick. I always loved how the IRS catback looks where you can see the piping go under the axle.

The hangers for the catback are all on the IRS frame, there are two of them and that took no modification at all. On an 03 and 04's there is also a hanger right at the end of the tailpipes that I didnt have so I cut off the metal hanger on the tip and bolted it up. It fit excellent and it didnt move very much so I didnt bother welding up a new one for the tips.

The funny part is this catback fits way better than the one I had on there before.

ogc

Established Member
CobraKai said:
that.... is friggin awesome! I want that on my car!!

thanks dude, I love it I have never seen or heard of anyone doing this on a 96-98 before and Im going to be suprising alot of people at the autocross next sunday :beer:

CaliSS2001

Established Member
doubletrouble said:

+1 Looks sweet man :rockon:

ogc

Established Member
I had to fix the seal on my gas tank so I hadnt taken it around a set of corners real fast yet.... HOLY SHIT this car handles awesome now I cant believe it flat out through corners, wow I love it absolutely love it.

19ClearCobra96

Established Member
ogc said:
You can't see much but I couldnt get a good picture because the car is so damned low you cant see anything... But you can see the exhaust, which is cool now, anyone who knows stangs will see that and just give it a WTF

1080852_img.jpg

That looks bad ****ing ass.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
That is bad ass. I want IRS in mine. Do you happen to have (or anyone really) any pics of a SN95 with IRS, but no catback on it yet? I'm curious if you can see the IRS poking out from underneath.

Users who are viewing this thread