Just curious

fangstang

Established Member
I was just curious to know what my cobra might be making at the wheels with the following mods:
1. BBK cold air w/filter
2. 62 mm TB
3. BBK O/R-X-pipe
4. Magnaflow catback

Its a 2001 cobra, and it felt real strong stock. When i put the x on, it REALLY woke up! I've never had it on a dyno, so my guess is at least 290hp 290tq. Hows that sound?

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Sounds about right.. maybe better.

Every car reacts differently.

Last edited:

the_mustang

Established Member
fangstang

I'm curious about the 62mm TB. Did you have a lot of trouble making this mod work?
I've been looking at doing it myself, but I have seen a lot of comments about the set-up being difficult and/or not working correctly.

tms217

Established Member
I was told by a local shop that he did not notice any difference when he added a TB or MAF to a 01 Cobra. He said MAYBE 2-3 HP at most.

Terry

fangstang

Established Member
Re: fangstang

Originally posted by the_mustang
I'm curious about the 62mm TB. Did you have a lot of trouble making this mod work?
I've been looking at doing it myself, but I have seen a lot of comments about the set-up being difficult and/or not working correctly.

I've yet to install the TB myself. The only thing I have on the car right now is the X-pipe. I should be recieving the parts on tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes.

SVT4POP

Established Member
fangstang, ...

You're probably so close it won't matter much. However, I saw the biggest potential for improvement with a MAF. In my case with my '99 it gave me more hp (abt 6-8) than the twin 65mm throttlebody.

I'm curious though, and it may be too obvious, why haven't you added underpullies yet, or is that part of your future plan? For the money and horsepower change it's hard to do better than a set of March or Steeda underpullies. It added 10 - 12 rwhp & rwtq to mine.

Your exhaust system sounds sweet (no pun intended) as it is, but to really get the performance out of what you've already got you could consider a set of shorty headers (I'd recommend ceramic coated) to give you another 8 or so rwhp/rwtq. Just a thought.

That should put you in the same neighborhood as what's shown in my sig., slightly over 300 rwhp/rwtq. If you do get it dyno'd as is we'd all be curious to know how close or how far off we are. Of course even dyno tests can be skewered due to ambient air temperature, altitude in reference to sea level, a/f mixture and timing, operator skill etc., etc.

You're on the right track though, ... (figuratively and realistically).

fangstang

Established Member
My next mods will be a MAF and underdrive pullies. I dont know which MAF to go with. PRO-M 80mm or PRO-M 87mm? I want as much air flow as possible. I'm going to order the steeda underdrives soon. Once I have all these mods on, I'm going to get it dyno tuned with a chip. I think that s the best thing to do. I also have 4.10's sitting underneath my bed waiting for installation. If I install the gears, do I still have to buy a speed compensator, or will the chip take care of that? Which chip do you guys recommend? And how much would it cost to get burned with my mods? I'm really considering getting the intake and heads P&P. That would really wake this motor up. 330-340 hp Naturally aspirated is a goal of mine(or more). I dont know if I want the 2003 anymore. I like my 2001 a lot to give it up, and now that I'm moding it, its gonna be hard to do so. After these mods are complete, I want to do a complete suspension. Probably a Griggs, or Maximum Motorsports.

SVT4POP

Established Member
fangstang, ...

If you're contemplating, and that's a big "if", jumping from N/A to "boost", you'd likely want the M-87. Otherwise, it's my understanding the M-80 should do fine.

As far as chips go, my only experience (other than what you read on these boards), is with an Autologic programmable chip which is what I currenly use. However, the person I bought it from here in "Vegas is a certified programmer and also an exec for a well-known dyno manufacturer, ... sooooo, I had him "tune" the chip as the car sat on the dyno. I don't know what the going price is for a certified tuner to program or reprogram your chip, ... they could be all over the place depending how scrupulous or honest the programmer is, ... mine here in 'Vegas is impeccable and very knowledgeable about Ford products/engines and owns/drives a Lightning and custom twin-tubo driven LX "sleeper".

For instance, he programmed the fan to come on at a lower temp. (and my Cobra never sets the needle above just below halfway on the water temp gauge). He also set the A/F-R (Air/Fuel Ratio) to about 12.8 etc. If you're going to get a chip it just seems logical to me you'd want to get one that could be programmed for a variety of different mods and/or conditions that you might experience on the street or at the track.

I'm not sure whether the Autologic chip can address the 4.10 upgrade. When I had mine installed, I just had a Dallas Motorsport Speed Calibrator (abt. $99) installed to correct the odometer/mileage reading. My experience so far is that the 4.10's don't give as good a gas mileage as 3.73's or 3.27's (stock gears), but I suspect you're already aware of that difference.

I think you'll like the difference in performance, ... even though you might lose a little top-end speed, the quickness that you'll get in reaching your power band rpm's will be noticeable and the pull you used to get at 3500-4000 rpm in third gear, now also happens in fourth gear. When power shifting I've even been able to lay rubber in both those gears.

Finally, I couldn't agree with you more on getting the heads P&P'd. I'll bet you'll end up with 330 to 340 hp allright, but that will be rear-wheel horsepower or approximately 380 - 390 hp at the flywheel, ... you go guy!

I'd love to see what SHM's new P&P'd intake manifold ($1300) would do to my '99 Cobra's dyno results. Also, good choice on the springs, but sooner or later you're going to have to look at a PHP rear cross brace and some Steeda-type differential bushings to deal with your Cobra's IRS "wheel-hop".

Good luck, if I can be of any further help let me know, ...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread