just changing the h-pipe?

a94cobra

Established Member
Has anyone just changed the h-pipe and left the factory cat back in place? With or without cats? How did it sound? Has anyone just done headers? How did it sound?

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by a94cobra
Has anyone just changed the h-pipe and left the factory cat back in place? With or without cats? How did it sound? Has anyone just done headers? How did it sound?

If you do long tubes... you will have to change your h-pipe. If you leave the factory catback in place...I would at least weld in a different set of mufflers to compliment the h/x-pipe.

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
I put in a Bassani X w/cats many weeks before I added a cat back. It was just a little louder but not really noticable. It made a bigger difference on my 01. I think the 03 engine is louder. Add a cat back, this car really needs one and you will love the sound. This car makes too much power to sound so damned quite.

agof95

Established Member
I read an article by one of the mustang mags regarding this very scenario on an '01 Cobra.

They were comparing the differences between H & X pipes. I believe it was a bassani X & a MAC H. The stock cat-back/mufflers were not changed.

The dyno results showed changes in hp/tq at different rpm levels for each. However, the hp gain was neglible with both. If I recall it was less than 5 hp. Therefore, the stock cat-back/mufflers appear to be the bottle neck.

a94cobra

Established Member
I changed just the h-pipe on my 94 Cobra and it did a world of good. So that is the reason I am asking. I know, totally different motors and all but still something I would like to check out.

Users who are viewing this thread