Just bought; truck has lowering kit want it back to stock height HELP

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
As most of you know I just bought a pristine 2001 F150 lightning with 13,000 miles. It’s been lowered and want to put it back to the standard height. I took the truck to the shop that does all my work and this is what he told me.

Someone put a drop knuckle/lowering spindles on the front to lower it. Tech thinks the shocks could be OEM but not sure. The front will need new OEM knuckles and also need a new sway bar link. He thinks the springs up front is still OEM but not sure.

the rear has one leaf missing and a lift block of 1” max if that. The tech said I will need new leaf springs, lift blocks, shackles and possible new rear shocks. He isn’t sure if the rear shocks were replaced. The tech needs to know what size lift block came with this truck.

the million dollar question that the tech has to research and I don’t have the answer too is are all these new/used just generic F 150 parts or are any just 01 lighting specific parts

that is where I need assitance

The shop that I bought the truck from said the truck had coil overs and it doesn’t. I asked the owner if everything in the truck works and he said yes.

in inspecting the truck later ( my bad, it’s all on me ) a fog light doesn’t work (bulb already replaced) and the fog light housing is bad (two OEM on order and in transit).

Also as stated the horn doesn’t work and the shop disgnoised it as a bad clock spring. The dealer who I bought The truck from is footing the bill on that and mailing it to me. once I have the part and installed and the horn is working, than I plan to address the misrepresentation and see what happens.
the good news the truck is still a pristine 13000 mile truck !

Attachments

• 3B9C4FBC-D086-4B7F-A2FA-11B478780C67.jpeg
    3B9C4FBC-D086-4B7F-A2FA-11B478780C67.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 54
  • A59AA590-DB9D-4024-A88D-C4570A498CD1.jpeg
    A59AA590-DB9D-4024-A88D-C4570A498CD1.jpeg
    336.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

LS WUT

Established Member
You bought this from a dealer correct? I’m not to sure what you can do at this point as I’m sure it would be on you to have it inspected before buying it. That’s tough for sure, however did they not inspect it before selling it? It shouldn’t be missing knuckles on leaf springs, and should be advertised as having suspension work done and not having it at all.

MG0h3

Established Member
First thing I’d try and find out is if the L suspension was different from a regular 2wd F150 in the day.

Probably is. Source it that way

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
You bought this from a dealer correct? I’m not to sure what you can do at this point as I’m sure it would be on you to have it inspected before buying it. That’s tough for sure, however did they not inspect it before selling it? It shouldn’t be missing knuckles on leaf springs, and should be advertised as having suspension work done and not having it at all.
Not a franchise store, just a large individual dealer and it was the only red Gen II close to me. I don’t know a lot about lightings and should have had things clarified before buying it. I am not upset with the truck. It’s a true 13000 mile truck and shows it.

what I plan on doing is just reverting it back ride height as close to stock. I like the look but u hit a bump, it jars you.

plus want to do some light towing with it and can’t in its current configuration

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
First thing I’d try and find out is if the Lighting suspension was different from a regular 2wd F150 in the day.

Probably is. Source it that way

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

im working on that. I believe the knuckles/spindles are interchangeable and not lighting specific. I believe the rear leafs maybe. But sorting that out

Last edited:

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
To all replied. I apologize for not responding sooner. I assumed I get a alert that someone had responded and never did. Therefore I didn’t even look until now.

had three things wrong with it.

-horn not working
-bad passenger side fog light
-truck to low

I now have two new fog light housings and bulbs form Ford. I ordered a lighting specific clock spring from a dealer and should be here next week.
lastly, working on getting the necessary hardware to return close to stock as possible

Users who are viewing this thread