Just bought this car and now idk what to do! HELP!

dudesqueak

Established Member
I've wanted a mustang since i was in the womb....so i bought my first one last weekend! It's an 04 Mach 1. But ive got MAJOR issues. I bought it from a dealership, so they cant tell me much about it. I wish i could have bought it from the previous owner, instead, so that I would know whats in it.
So here's what i know:
It's got over $15k into it with:
Modular Mustang Racing cast iron 5.4L 4V
T-56
Hurst Short throw
Procharger supercharger
camber alignment for quick turning
lowering springs
Nitto Invo tires 255s up front and 295s in back on 18s
Kooks long tube headers
O/R X pipe
Magnaflow Magnapack exhaust
Supposedly 602 crank hp

But its got PROBLEMS!
1. BURNS fuel. not in the normal way. in the 3mpg way. in the 'looks like a diesel truck goin down the road its got so much black smoke' kinda way.
2. Misfires - freakin sputters like a mother.
3. Has oil in the intake.
4. Can't see any antifreeze, but it it stays at the right temperature.
5. Dies at 3/4 stop lights (estimate).
6. Service engine light is on.
7. Now hard to start.

So, I pulled the codes at one shop and they told me P0352 which is something like ignition coil pack B circuit (wiring for the coils?). Another shop says it doesnt have any codes, only code history. So I pull the plugs. BLACK and not gapped correctly. NGKs, not sure which ones. So I put the exact same NGKs back into it, but brand new and gapped correctly. Car SCREAMS! But still burns gas, just with a little less smoke. I go to a car wash, the cars so low the headers hit the bump going into the car wash, the car stalls, and wont start again. We push it out and i get my refund. Call a tow truck, after about 45 mins, decides it wants to start. Runs like crap again. Drive it to my DIY shop, pull the new plugs. BLACK. Now, i dont know what to do. I would love to talk to the previous owner, but "under federal law, we cannot give you that information". F***ers.
I NEED HELP!!!

CobRoush-00

Established Member
If you bought the car last week from a dealer, just return it. Unless, of course, you got it for a killer deal and they told you what was wrong with it before you made the purchase.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
Sounds like you've got a big vacuum leak between the maf and the intake manifold. You may have popped a clamp on the piping. With a blow though maf any leak post maf will leak metered air causing the car to barely run and if it does, horribly rich. That's exactly what this sounds like.

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
Take it somewhere to get it tuned, but before you get it tuned, ask the tuner what he thinks and if its worth your trouble then get it tuned.

spike302

Established Member
i agree with 04mach1blurr it probably needs a good tune to run right, with all those mods the ecu is being restrictive iny opnion, if it does need a tune u will probably have to replace ur spark plugs and o2 sensors

smashedheadcat

Established Member
It's entirely possible that it's tune related but one would think the car had to run somewhat right at the time of sale. If it ran right for awhile now it doesn't, it's most likely a hardware issue. I'm betting it's a leak between the maf and intake. Of course the OP hasn't posted in here to give us an update or additional info, so who knows.

spike302

Established Member
hook up a smoke machine to the engine and u can easily see if u have a leak anywher

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Sounds like you've got a big vacuum leak between the maf and the intake manifold. You may have popped a clamp on the piping. With a blow though maf any leak post maf will leak metered air causing the car to barely run and if it does, horribly rich. That's exactly what this sounds like.

This right here ^. If it ran good at one point then shit the next it has to have a leak somewhere. Not sure if you know but when dealing with a car like this(Major mods) you cant just go to any shop. Need to go somewhere that tunes ford to have someone that know/understand these cars.

phillipmach1

Established Member
When I install the supercharger in my car I was having the same problem and the fix was a combination of retune the car install a catch can and clean the MAF because of some of the oil that was going in the intake went down to the MAF and the ECU was not getting a clean signal this should send you back about 700.00 dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread