Just bought my PC, tips for a novice?

divernb

Unrefined
Established Member
After tiring of applying my waxes by hand, and wanting to get the swirls out of my Redfire, I decided it was time to get a PC! SO, hearing that Zaxjax had recommended the optimum kit from AutoGeek, I bought the entire kit, as well as a yellow cutting pad and a red cutting pad to start detailing this weekend.

I believe I have gotten most of the basics, use Yellow/Orange with the compounds/polishes, white for glaze, and a red pad for the LSP. All pads are from lake country and CCS

This weekend I was going to:
1: Wash with 2 bucket method
2: Dry
3: Clay Bar
4: Apply polish Via Orange Pad and Optimum Polish II (I figured I would save the yellow pad and the compound II until I was more experienced and could correctly gauge the condition my paint is in. One thing I have gathered is always use only what you need, and I figured I could always go back over it with the yellow pad and Optimum Compound II at a later date if need be)
5: Apply Optiseal w/ white pad OR some XMT sealant I have...haven't quite decided which I'm going to do. Suggestions on which the better product is?
6: Lastly apply my Wax, as I do not have a glaze to apply at this time (Applied with Red pad)

How much pressure do I put on during the cutting with the orange and yellow pads? I watched the videos on Autogeek to get and idea, but I'm still a bit in the dark. Also, what do you guys do for plastic body panels, such as bumpers and the side scoops on a Cobra? Is it safe to polish these or should I just apply wax?

Any other tips/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

LSUstang05

Established Member
What I normally do is apply the product to the pad (a little) and some on the paint then dab the pad on the paint so the product doesn't splatter. I turn the PC on to about 2.5 to spread the product around and then turn it up to 5.5-6 to work the product all the way in. Then I wipe the product off. Pressure usually depends on the condition of the paint. I'd say moderate pressure with your hand but don't lean in 100% with all your body weight.

Also, you should be fine polishing the plastic body parts if they are painted. If they are just the black vinyl then I wouldn't polish those.

Otherwise I think you have a good idea of how to do it. It's pretty hard to screw up the paint with the PC, though and I think you'll do just fine.

lancec2c30

I just gagged
Established Member
Bumpers and side scoops are painted and clear coated like the rest of the body panels, so just do what you would normally do.

The orange pad should be a good start for the correction you are looking for. Is it a 4 or 6in pad? On a PC a 6in isn't really aggressive. But I don't know exactly how your paint is, so the 6in might work just fine.

A good idea is to take a sharpie and mark a line on the backing plate. That way you can make sure the PC is still rotating along with its orbital motions. Because if you lean on it to hard or get it on an odd angle of the body panel the pad will stop rotating all together and just vibrate.

That's about all I have for you from my experience. :beer:

Blk98Slobra

Established Member
I'm getting a porter cable for my birthday pretty soon and I was wondering what pads to get.... I'll probably be ordering SSR 1 and 2 then using Black Hole Glaze followed by Natty's Red.

lancec2c30

I just gagged
Established Member
Invest in a backing plate for 4in pads and some orange 4in pads. It's the best way to get results on bad swirls or scratch removal. Then some 6in white pads. and 6in black pads if you plan to apply your wax with the PC.

divernb

Unrefined
Established Member
Thanks for the tips, my Orange pad is a 6" pad, I might invest in a smaller pad depending on how it turns out this weekend

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Good luck! Take your time, yeloow pads are awfully aggressive. Start with the least aggressive combo and work up if needed.

ChaoticCoax

Established Member
The Yellow pad will scar your paint in a hurry if your not used to it. Detailedimage.com has good videos too. Remember to go slow and work the polish so you don't marr or make the paint to hazy. Good luck and welcome to the obsession!!

Ralo

Established Member
I've been wanting to get a buffer and do mine but I am scared of making it hazy, Mine is redfire too with just very light swirling.

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
For heavy duty polishing, apply 15-20 lbs of pressure to assist in defect removal. I push down to the point where it's just before the machine starts to bog.

Users who are viewing this thread