just bought my first 03 cobra..need help!

Soon2bGT500

Established Member
Ok i posted this in tech talk but thought it would be better here..

hey guys,

Came from a 08 gt500 that i owned last year and now im back in the scene with a 03 cobra with 16,000 miles. I bought it knowing the throw out bearing is making a slight noise..clutch pressed in..noise is gone. While i am driving theres a weird noise that sounds like its almost coming from the clutch pedal? almost like its vibrating through the cluctch cable line from the tranny?

Also when i shift gears the rear end clunks? is this the poor irs stock bushing problem?

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
Ok i posted this in tech talk but thought it would be better here..

Also when i shift gears the rear end clunks? is this the poor irs stock bushing problem?

what you are describing is known as "the cobra clunk"...and unfortunately it something that comes stock on our cobras. just run a search on the word clunk, and you will come up with plenty of info. most will tell you, there isnt really a fix for it. eventually you will learn to drive around it...minimizing the clunking noise.

congrats on the purchase!

skratpiece

Established Member
Sounds normal to me. I'd be surprised to find a TOB that didn't squeek on a Terminator. Mine new Ram Clutch TOB didn't squeek up until yesterday, but they will most likely all develop a squeek within 10K. The squeek will go away when you press the clutch in slightly, but riding the tob is definitely not a good idea. I'm not sure if I've experienced the clunk that you're referring to. Not sure how the 6 speed in a Shelby is or if there's a difference, but I believe that you may just be experiencing the heavy duty nature of the Terminator's T56. Wish I had better answers.

Michael Hughes

1 of 299
Established Member
Go to this web site ( fulltiltboogieracing.com ). Bruce is the owner and he will educate you on the IRS and all the problems with the correct fixes for each problem.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
here ya go....just cause im bored at work, with nothing else to do, i cut and pasted this for ya. its from our good friend CobraBob's FAQ, regaurding "the clunk".

The “clunk” is a moderate volume sound which typically occurs after depressing the accelerator following a coast. It is very noticeable in 6th gear in most cases. This is caused by play in the driveline (fairly normal in Mustangs). Here is the official Ford directive about this issue.

Special Service Message 17510 (1999-2004 Mustang 4.6l - Driveline Clunk During Gear Changes And/or Quick Acceleration After Coast (tip-in Clunk)
Some 1999-2004 Mustangs equipped with a 4.6 Liter engine may exhibit a 'clunk' noise from the driveline during gear changes and/or a quick acceleration just after a coast (tip-in clunk). The clunk may be present in multiple gears and is considered normal. This is caused by driveline lash reacting to the rapid response of the engine when the throttle is suddenly opened. The clunk noise has no effect on the performance or durability of Tthe vehicle. Inspect and check the driveshaft attaching bolts, axle mounts, transmission mounts and sub-frame mounting bolts for proper torque. No other service should be performed.
Effective Date: 01/26/2004

SpectorV

Established Member
self adjust the clutch a tiny bit, push the seat back as far as you can then put your left hand on the clutch and push it down. Put your right hand on the clutch quadrant (above the gas petal) and hold the quadrant against the motion it will make (you just hold it, it will still move you just put pressure on it back the other way opposite of how its moving). Slowly let out on the clutch petal and you will hear a click. Do a couple clicks. You can make sure you didnt take up to much slack by driving 55mph or so holding the gas constant and easing in on the clutch you should push it in at least .5 inches before the rpms climb (clutch slip)

this may help the ticking on the throwout for a while. To remove adjustments just lift up on the underside of the clutch petal.

Terminated03

Established Member
My TOB would have squeeking fits from time to time. Pulling back on the clutch (resetting it) would stop it or pushing it in would stop it, but pushing it in is not good for it. I put in a firewall adjuster and new quadrant along with the freeplay mod and the sqeek is GONE! (knock on wood).

This is from the freeplay mod. I know this becuase I did the freeplay mod 1 week before the firewall adjuster and the quadrant. The freeplay mod f'ed up my clutch system somehow, but the quadrant and firewall adjuster fixed everything.

Soon2bGT500

Established Member
Thanks for all the help guys!! i went down to the mustang shop here locally and they told me the clunking is normal. and advised me to upgrade my bushings in my IRS.

was told the tob noise was pretty common and wasnt that bad yet.

Othic

Established Member
I just did the FTB kit in hopes of fixing the clunk noise you're describing. I did the entire install myself from pulling the IRS and installing the bushings. The only thing thats different now is the gear whine is a bit louder. With the 14mm bolts the clunk is still there. Welcome to the Terminator world :mj:

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I had the clunk until I tore out the IRS diff and had a gear swap done on it. Put it back in the car and no more clunk in the rear. not sure if it was from the gear swap or due to me torqueing down everything and maybe something was loose before that. I already had the IRS bushings and such on it before the swap. If you every buy a new clutch, always stick to a FRPP throw out bearing. Don't use whatever came with the kit.

Soon2bGT500

Established Member
Sweet issue has been resolved in my eyes then :) irs clunk is completely normal with oem bushings.. and the tob noise is pretty common :)

Users who are viewing this thread