Just bought an 89 LX GT... Help Please!

2190days...

only one at a time..
Established Member
ok guys, sorry i know i dont post here often.. but i was wondering what guys on svt; are purchasing for minor bolt ons..:banana:

Anyway, the 5.0 is a bone stock, grey (looks very similar to dsg with a less quality paint job..)

Long story short, A friend of mine had 88' 300zx that he babied. it caught an electrical fire and the car burned, yes he had liability:bash:

My main point finally comes out, any of you foxbody owners... would you mind sharing links so that we can start getting some bolt ons on this beauty. he's looking to get some 3:73's, CAI, full exhaust, TB, and a cam later on.. any ideas on bolts would be greatly appreciated. whats the preference on parts for you fox guys? we'd really like some help lol.

ive checked lethal.. but they dont offer much aftermarket for a fox body..
so if there any popular 5.0 sites, plz share

and if anyone is selling a 5 lug conversion, plz pm me..

Thanks SVT,
Larry

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
89 LX GT? Ok..

Anyway, Late Model Restoration supply has pretty much everything you'll need for the car. They sell top end kits, gears, exhausts, and just about every interior/exterior part you can imagine.

3.73's and a full exhaust are a good start. Before I built an engine for my 92, I had 3.73's, full exhaust, Trick Flow Intake, 70mm TB/EGR spacer, 75mm MAF, 24# injectors, 1.7rr's and the car was trapping 103mph with damn near 200k on the clock. All of those bolt on's are easy, and the car ran great.

Once are you ready to really tear into the car, you've got lots of options. Engine swaps, stroker kits, you name it. Maximum Motorsports sells lots of good suspension goodies for the fox's, including some very nice K-members.

If the car is a GT, then 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry will have all the information you could ever want about what they came with from the factory. Corral and all ford mustangs have lots of good tech info for fox's as well. And, you are always welcome to ask whatever questions you can think of here to boot.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
89 LX GT? Ok..

Anyway, Late Model Restoration supply has pretty much everything you'll need for the car. They sell top end kits, gears, exhausts, and just about every interior/exterior part you can imagine.

3.73's and a full exhaust are a good start. Before I built an engine for my 92, I had 3.73's, full exhaust, Trick Flow Intake, 70mm TB/EGR spacer, 75mm MAF, 24# injectors, 1.7rr's and the car was trapping 103mph with damn near 200k on the clock. All of those bolt on's are easy, and the car ran great.

Once are you ready to really tear into the car, you've got lots of options. Engine swaps, stroker kits, you name it. Maximum Motorsports sells lots of good suspension goodies for the fox's, including some very nice K-members.

If the car is a GT, then 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry will have all the information you could ever want about what they came with from the factory. Corral and all ford mustangs have lots of good tech info for fox's as well. And, you are always welcome to ask whatever questions you can think of here to boot.

Very well said :beer::beer:

x2 on Gears, deff 1st 3 mods to do on these cars are exaust,gears and basic tune up matience esp if he just bought the car, My car was running like complete dog when I 1st bought it when it had stock rebuilt 302 in with just basic bolt ons, come to find out 1 of the spark plugs were shot and the Plug wire was burnt on my headers, it was only running on 7 cylinders,(still managed to put down 226rwhp on 7 cylinders with bolt ons lol then after I saw the spark plug a basic full tune up and bolt ons and it was like a new car and with a tune it went from 226 to almost 250rwhp I belive 248rwhp! 3.73 gears are amazing in are 5.0 cars

:rockon::rockon:

Last edited:

2190days...

only one at a time..
Established Member
oh ya...!! (kool-aid man) the first couple mods are def gonna be 3:73's, CAI, offroad x with flowmaster catback.. then ill look into the intake, TB, Cam, ETc.... i would really love a 5 lug conversion though lol.

Thanks Guys, I appreciate this alot..

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Yes, it's a 1989 Mustang GT w/ the lx body.. it's a coupe. The best of both worlds IMO.

Coupes are all LX's. Someone threw a GT body kit on it, but it's still an LX. All GT's were hatchbacks or verts. I do like that look though :beer:

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
So is it a LX with gt ground effect and nose? or a GT with LX stuff on it? What do you want out of the car? Streetable, and passing emissions on its own, or a little help but still streetable? My combo right now is a 306, E cam 1.6 crane rr's, ported GT40 heads, shorty headers, trick flow intake, edelbrock 70 mm Throttle body, cobra maf, 24 lb injectors, CAI, smog delete, x pipe, mac pro dumps, eaton posi, 31 spline axles, 3.73 gears, mega bit jr upper and lowers, subframe connectors, and MT ET Streets.

2190days...

only one at a time..
Established Member
OK sorry for the confusion, its 89' with the lx body. Although the body is LX, it has the 5.0 302Ci... and the car is not mine like mentioned above, it's a buddies who just purchased it because his 88' 300zx caught fire.

Anyhow, I've came up with a little mod list for what i think hes trying to accomplish. The car has 200,000 original miles without any rebuilds..

I was thinking to start the car off right he should start with these mods..

Cat back - Flowmaster 86-93 5.0L LX/Cobra American Thunder Catback (SS) [FM-17213] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs $375
Off road x pipe- Pypes Off-Road X-Pipe (79-95 5.0L) at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping! $179.99
Shorty headers - BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorty Headers (86-93 5.0L) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! $239.99
Gears- Motive Performance Plus 3.73 Gears (79-85 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! $169.99
CAI- BBK Cold Air Intake (86-93 5.0L) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! $159.99
Fuel system kit… bigger injectors, new fuel pump, motor craft filter - 1986-93 Mustang Ford Racing Fuel System Kit With Set Of 8 Ford Racing 24Lb Fuel Injectors at LRS - Same Day Shipping! $289.99
Then get new plugs and wires.. but that's easily purchasable at any auto store.

He'd like to install the parts he has knowledge on, of course with my help. Probably just CAI, plugs, and wires...
Then callin either G-Force or P.S.I. for exhaust and fuel install.. Then a dyno tune to finish it off.

Anyone else think this is a solid plan?

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Oh ok, but no need to word it like that. LX 5.0's are commonplace, and many came from the factory like that :beer:.

That mod list sounds reasonable, although I'd do the basic stuff first. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, oil change, coolant flush and brake fluid flush because who knows when that was done last. Check the timing, and check the TPS.

The rest of the mods seem like a great start. Exhaust on 5.0's is easy peasy though, so I'd do that yourself. Just get some stage 8 locking header bolts so you don't get leaks up front. The gears I would pay to have installed, but I'd look at getting the FRPP set, and get the full bearing kit for the rear while your at it. With 200k on the clock, I'm sure they all need replacing. You might want to save up the extra coin and do the diff at the same time as the gears, since the trak-lok is bound to be shot and you have to remove the thing for the gear install anyway.

Again, fuel system stuff is simple. You can easily do it yourself. Injector swaps are stupid easy, and changing the fuel pump isn't a big deal either. Just run the tank down before you drop it, it makes life much easier.

I'm impressed your friend found a stock 5.0. I didn't think there were any left. Post some pics of that bad boy.

Last edited:

whobock

Tipton Co. Garbage Truck
Established Member
dont mess with injectors until you get some heads and a cam. use that money for a nitrous kit and slicks.
3.73's
off road
mass air
throttle body
intake
LONGTUBE headers
150 shot and slicks

2190days...

only one at a time..
Established Member
Oh ok, but no need to word it like that. LX 5.0's are commonplace, and many came from the factory like that :beer:.

That mod list sounds reasonable, although I'd do the basic stuff first. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, oil change, coolant flush and brake fluid flush because who knows when that was done last. Check the timing, and check the TPS.

The rest of the mods seem like a great start. Exhaust on 5.0's is easy peasy though, so I'd do that yourself. Just get some stage 8 locking header bolts so you don't get leaks up front. The gears I would pay to have installed, but I'd look at getting the FRPP set, and get the full bearing kit for the rear while your at it. With 200k on the clock, I'm sure they all need replacing. You might want to save up the extra coin and do the diff at the same time as the gears, since the trak-lok is bound to be shot and you have to remove the thing for the gear install anyway.

Again, fuel system stuff is simple. You can easily do it yourself. Injector swaps are stupid easy, and changing the fuel pump isn't a big deal either. Just run the tank down before you drop it, it makes life much easier.

I'm impressed your friend found a stock 5.0. I didn't think there were any left. Post some pics of that bad boy.

I appreciate the help man, you've basically answered all the questions i have asked..:beer: But in order to do the full exhaust install, wouldnt welding be necessary?

Also, i'll try and get pics up asap.. seems to be dsg exterior on red cloth interior. She's pretty..

dont mess with injectors until you get some heads and a cam. use that money for a nitrous kit and slicks.
3.73's
off road
mass air
throttle body
intake
LONGTUBE headers
150 shot and slicks

yes, injectors wont get messed with until he installs a cam and head. slick are a option but it's a 4 lug axle with 200,000 miles.. He'd rather do a 5 lug conversion and run a 17x11 rim, with dr's in the back of course. He also has no plans for nitrous..

2190days...

only one at a time..
Established Member
So is it a LX with gt ground effect and nose? or a GT with LX stuff on it? What do you want out of the car? Streetable, and passing emissions on its own, or a little help but still streetable? My combo right now is a 306, E cam 1.6 crane rr's, ported GT40 heads, shorty headers, trick flow intake, edelbrock 70 mm Throttle body, cobra maf, 24 lb injectors, CAI, smog delete, x pipe, mac pro dumps, eaton posi, 31 spline axles, 3.73 gears, mega bit jr upper and lowers, subframe connectors, and MT ET Streets.

you're setup is really similar to what he wants to do, except he wants to build the 306 for boost and throw a 70mm on there. Thats time down the road though, he needs to save alot coin.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
you're setup is really similar to what he wants to do, except he wants to build the 306 for boost and throw a 70mm on there. Thats time down the road though, he needs to save alot coin.

Its a good combo. Im not a huge fan of the E cam, but it works with this setup. My other combo was a DSS 347 F cam, AFR heads, 1.7 crane gold race rr's Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, 70 mm tb, 76 mm pro m maf, 24lb injectors, Hooker super comps. Smog delete. pro chamber h pipe, dumped flows, eaton posi 31 spline axles, 4.10 gears, I ran mac upper and lower control arms, and subframe connectors, with a 175 shot. A tremec TKO and a pro 5.0 shifter. It was a really mean car, but I had major traction issues. It didnt hook very well, even with slicks. I could still get a chirp out of the hole. It ran 6.80s in the 1/8th with a 1.4 60 ft time. You could stop it to the floor in 5th and it would break loose. Ill probly take my current set up and do a piston change, and run a single turbo. The motor barely has 2k miles on it.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I appreciate the help man, you've basically answered all the questions i have asked..:beer: But in order to do the full exhaust install, wouldnt welding be necessary?

Also, i'll try and get pics up asap.. seems to be dsg exterior on red cloth interior. She's pretty..

yes, injectors wont get messed with until he installs a cam and head. slick are a option but it's a 4 lug axle with 200,000 miles.. He'd rather do a 5 lug conversion and run a 17x11 rim, with dr's in the back of course. He also has no plans for nitrous..

You're welcome :banana: And no, no welding required. Or, at least it doesn't have to be...depends on what you buy. I'd put it all together with clamps yourself, make sure he's happy with it, then down the road get it all welded up if it's got any leaks.

2190days...

only one at a time..
Established Member
You're welcome :banana: And no, no welding required. Or, at least it doesn't have to be...depends on what you buy. I'd put it all together with clamps yourself, make sure he's happy with it, then down the road get it all welded up if it's got any leaks.

sounds good! I may have to give it a try.. and

I'M SO SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION GUYS!!!!! The vehicle is actally a 89' hatchback..:bash: i prefer the lx, but she's still pretty!

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
sounds good! I may have to give it a try.. and

I'M SO SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION GUYS!!!!! The vehicle is actally a 89' hatchback..:bash: i prefer the lx, but she's still pretty!

You need a crash course in Foxbodies. So here we go.

LX models:
notchback or coupe whatever you prefer, they came in 2.3 4banger or the 5.0
LX hatch came in the 2.3 4 banger or 5.0
LX verts came with 2.3 4 banger or 5.0

GT:

The GT had different front and rear bumpers from the LX, and side ground effects. They also had slots to what ford said would cool the brakes.

GT models were either vert or hatch. You could not get a coupe GT, GT's were all hatch or verts.

Cobra: only were made in 93, there numbered, came in only 3 colors, red, teal, and black. They had what appears to be similar ground effects as the GT but are different. No vents in the side ground effects, and no Mustang GT under the door. Also they had a different front bumper, and a cobra grill insert in the front grill. There were no vert cobras made. They also had special turbine style 17" wheels.

Cobra R only made in 93, had special black wheels. no back seats, they only came in red. No verts were made in cobra r versions.

2190days...

only one at a time..
Established Member
You need a crash course in Foxbodies. So here we go.

LX models:
notchback or coupe whatever you prefer, they came in 2.3 4banger or the 5.0
LX hatch came in the 2.3 4 banger or 5.0
LX verts came with 2.3 4 banger or 5.0

GT:

The GT had different front and rear bumpers from the LX, and side ground effects. They also had slots to what ford said would cool the brakes.

GT models were either vert or hatch. You could not get a coupe GT, GT's were all hatch or verts.

Cobra: only were made in 93, there numbered, came in only 3 colors, red, teal, and black. They had what appears to be similar ground effects as the GT but are different. No vents in the side ground effects, and no Mustang GT under the door. Also they had a different front bumper, and a cobra grill insert in the front grill. There were no vert cobras made. They also had special turbine style 17" wheels.

Cobra R only made in 93, had special black wheels. no back seats, they only came in red. No verts were made in cobra r versions.

You forgot to mention the rear bumper that shows tails. I've known everything you just typed, only thing new to me is -lx w/ wing is a hatchback, i knew w/o the wing was a coupe.. Thanks though.

A friend may give me some 17x9 chrome pony wheels, if he does, pics will be up asap. Ehh maybe a vid:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread