just bought a kenne bell......now what?

svtexcelr8

Patiently Waiting
Established Member
OK, here is the deal: I just bought a kenne bell 1.7 with about 7000miles on it from a friend. it came with everything except for the throttle body, which i will have to purchase. Now, i want to build my motor (i have a 03 gt 5spd) to be easily capable of handling the 9-14psi i plan on running through it. given a budget of around 6k-8k (with the kenne bell already bought and not included in this budget), what would you guys suggest i do......internally, transmission, rear end, suspension....anything goes, this is my weekend project for the winter. i would like to make the car run mid to high 11's and still be easily streetable. i am open to changing the pistons for lower compression, forging the internals, i just want to know all of the opinions on here from everyone.

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
well first of all for sure forge the internals. I really wouldn't worry about your tranny as much as I would about changing the clutch. I got the Center Force Dual Friction clutch and it works great. Clamps hard yet has a pretty light feel to it. The rear end would be good as well. For traction wise look up www.mustangtuning.com There are lots of parts that you can buy for traction. But especially get some full length sub-frame connectors..mine are from Maximum Motorsports. Supposedly they are one of the best. But at mustangtuning, there are some other I think parts less than $100 that helps out with traction as well. Hope that helps.

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
yea u want to forge intenals. then i say clutch then suspension. and if u want to beef up the rear end just do a trade with a little bit of money or small parts to make it so they cant brake

svtexcelr8

Patiently Waiting
Established Member
thanks everyone, i want to hear everyone's suggestions and experiences. also, if you guys could point me in the general direction of who uses what as far as the best pistons, rods, head work, suspension...and so on then it would be much appreciated. again, thanks for all of the comments so far!

madmatt

Stockishly Slow
Established Member
Personally, if you are going to forge the internals, why not just sell it and buy a 2.2? More power. Also, if you keep the 1.7, Id get a tune and some suspension work/new clutch and call it a day at about 400 hp until I got the bottom end built. THEN sell it for a 2.2. Just makes more sense that way. DONT FORGET A TUNE!

Wildpony_2

Oh Really......
Established Member
1.7's don't require a tune at 9PSI or lower, but anywhere above 9PSI better start forging internals and tuning. Been looking into this myself as I want a 1.7 for my GT, but only 9 PSI on stock-bottom-end.

Quote from website for above comment, "Note: Our 1.7L 9PSI kit chips are dead accurate and do not require custom tuning."

My suggestion is go to their website(http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/gt96-03_2v/gt96-04.htm) as have I to get information, you'd be surprised what you can learn there. If nothing else just call Kenne Bell Tech line, I am sure they can help you out tons as they have answered all my questions. Knowledge is power, read up bro, :), and good luck with summer project car. :burnout:

Last edited:

longrodLX

Established Member
Wildpony_2 said:
1.7's don't require a tune at 9PSI or lower, but anywhere above 9PSI better start forging internals and tuning. Been looking into this myself as I want a 1.7 for my GT, but only 9 PSI on stock-bottom-end.

Quote from website for above comment, "Note: Our 1.7L 9PSI kit chips are dead accurate and do not require custom tuning."

My suggestion is go to their website(http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/gt96-03_2v/gt96-04.htm) as have I to get information, you'd be surprised what you can learn there. If nothing else just call Kenne Bell Tech line, I am sure they can help you out tons as they have answered all my questions. Knowledge is power, read up bro, :), and good luck with summer project car. :burnout:
i really hope that you dont beleive that garbage about not needing a tune :nono: :rollseyes be cheap and dont do it but i gaurantee your car runs like ass and will most likely blow up but if you wanna save the $450 go for it. just make sure to post pics of the carnage when she goes :kaboom:

Wildpony_2

Oh Really......
Established Member
longrodLX said:
i really hope that you dont beleive that garbage about not needing a tune :nono: :rollseyes be cheap and dont do it but i gaurantee your car runs like ass and will most likely blow up but if you wanna save the $450 go for it. just make sure to post pics of the carnage when she goes :kaboom:

Still looking into this myself, no need to flame, just trying to help, geesh. :rollseyes Dude just call their dang techline get all info, last time I try and help....

longrodLX

Established Member
didnt mean to flame. just wanted to make it clear to never trust a mail order tune from a power adder company

Users who are viewing this thread