Just bought a 99 cobra, rebuild questions

01yellercobra

Established Member
yeah 10.5 would be great, the car would be driven N/A for quite some time while I throw my money at the suspension. Im still not even sure if I want to go forced induction.

10.5 would be fine with 91 octane? Would i need a tune? Would it even pass California smog?

Yes it would. You'll want a tune to make the most out of your combo anyway. As long as you don't go wild with the cams you should pass. My first 323 passed with a stock H pipe. I'm not sure my current one would pass because I can't run a stock mid pipe and the EGR was deleted.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Myersprostatus

Established Member
The reason I ask abut the tune is I will probably be daily driving the car untill I can save up some money for the tune. This motor has raped my bank account LOL. I would hate to be driving an untuned vehicle if it was detrimental to its well being.
I dont plan on running a crazy cam just degreeing it to 96-98 specifications.

Myersprostatus

Established Member
Well the engine is officially being built. Forged Manley H-beam rods/Forged Manley 10.5:1 pistons. Bored block .020 over, Arp head studs, MMR oil pump, Degreed 96-98 intake cams, Port/Polish 99 Heads, re-sleeved cam journals for the seized camshaft that damaged the heads, Brand new timing kit. Cant wait till its done and in the car, Got some 4.10s waiting for the rear end.

I have some new 24# injectors waiting to go on the engine. What kinda power will these allow before they max out? I'm hoping the motor puts out at least 330 to the wheels. Anyone?

Myersprostatus

Established Member
Thought I'd show a little update and preview to my upcoming week. pretty stoked :).
464v_zpsa071f7e9.jpg

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Bore that teksid block .020 over,reuse the stock crank,add some forged rods and pistons, new bearings,fasteners,oil pump.. What's your color combo Mitch? Get your parts at Pro-Power ModMax!

Exactly what i did. Only a matter of time until you go F/I.

Last edited:

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Thought I'd show a little update and preview to my upcoming week. pretty stoked :).
464v_zpsa071f7e9.jpg

Now just get those valve covers and timing cover powdercoated semi-gloss black or wrinkle black and you're set! :D Seriously though, good job and if the car's been down for a long time like mine was, at least the car will feel fast as shit again for awhile - kind of like lowering your tolerance for beer haha

Myersprostatus

Established Member
hey black death whats your compression ratio? I did a stage 1 port n polish on my heads+ 96-98 intake cams as well as 10.5:1 compression ratio. Although the compression is fairly high for F/I I plan at throwing a couple pounds of boost at it down the line :).

Lol, I wish I had the time/money to pretty up the engine, but this thing seriously raped my wallet : ). I actually bought the car with a siezed camshaft and broken timing chains for 1700$. Ive never even driven it. Lol it better feel decently fast. MMR who machined my block and ported the heads etc etc took around 7 months.... So I am more than ready to drop this thing in and get goin. As for my tolerance of beer, its definitely nothing to be proud of hahaha.

Myersprostatus

Established Member
well i got the engine in the car and it fired up first try! Car feels awesome and runs awesome. Now time for some tuning and modifications. Saved this cobra from being parted out and Im already in love with it.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
hey black death whats your compression ratio? I did a stage 1 port n polish on my heads+ 96-98 intake cams as well as 10.5:1 compression ratio. Although the compression is fairly high for F/I I plan at throwing a couple pounds of boost at it down the line :).

Lol, I wish I had the time/money to pretty up the engine, but this thing seriously raped my wallet : ). I actually bought the car with a siezed camshaft and broken timing chains for 1700$. Ive never even driven it. Lol it better feel decently fast. MMR who machined my block and ported the heads etc etc took around 7 months.... So I am more than ready to drop this thing in and get goin. As for my tolerance of beer, its definitely nothing to be proud of hahaha.

I would have to double check but stayed close to stock 9.85:1? I think I dropped to lower 9's but cannot remember what CC pistons were installed in engine.

I can look on my build sheet maybe 11cc??

Users who are viewing this thread