Just bought a 66 mustang!!

G04cobra

Established Member
Hi guys, so I just bought a 66 mustang with a 302 engine from a 74 maverick. Although I'm not new to mustangs this is my first classic. Are there any websites out there similar to this one with helpful info? Any recommended vendors? thanks in advance!!!!

sixt5

Established Member
i'll send ya a pm. not sure if external links are allowed.

heres some motivation
DSCF6513chop.jpg

50 Proof

Established Member
Hi guys, so I just bought a 66 mustang with a 302 engine from a 74 maverick. Although I'm not new to mustangs this is my first classic. Are there any websites out there similar to this one with helpful info? Any recommended vendors? thanks in advance!!!!

I've always had good luck ordering from cjponyparts.com. Their prices are always decent too. Vintage Mustang Forums is an awesome forum for classic mustangs. I'm assuming since SVTP doesn't cater to classic Mustangs that it's ok to post up that link, if not my apologies.

If you want a suggestion for that 302, yank out that underpowered flat tappet pos and drop in a high output 5.0 (302) roller motor out of a fox or 94/95 Mustang. I've got a Ford Explorer 5.0 with GT40 heads waiting to go into my '65 Mustang.

G04cobra

Established Member
its funny so many people have told me to ditch the wheels. Even the previous owner said to ditch them and get some stockers with hub caps so I'll probably end up doing that. It needs new hood latches, mirrors, upholstery and the back windows need fixing too. As far as mods go, it has a 4 barrel carb., C4 tranny, pertronix ignition & edelbrock performer intake. Nice car fastback2+2!!!!!

MikeW

Established Member
Nice buy I hope to have another '66 one day. My highschool ride was a '66 289 A code coupe

65fastback2+2

Established Member
I've always had good luck ordering from cjponyparts.com. Their prices are always decent too. Vintage Mustang Forums is an awesome forum for classic mustangs. I'm assuming since SVTP doesn't cater to classic Mustangs that it's ok to post up that link, if not my apologies.

If you want a suggestion for that 302, yank out that underpowered flat tappet pos and drop in a high output 5.0 (302) roller motor out of a fox or 94/95 Mustang. I've got a Ford Explorer 5.0 with GT40 heads waiting to go into my '65 Mustang.

VMF is good. You gonna use the standard belt setup on that 5.0? Remember those are GT40P heads and will take a lil work to get headers to work. Also explorer and mountaineer 5.0's are reverse serpentine so they are a pain to use the serpentine setup. that being said, a mountaineer 5.0 short block is what is in the 67 coupe now.

if you want TRUE service, Mustang Parts: OEM, Performance & Accessories you might pay a little more but you can tell john what year car and what bolt and he'll rattle off the size, thread pattern, etc. he knows EVERYTHING and ive never gotten the wrong part

its funny so many people have told me to ditch the wheels. Even the previous owner said to ditch them and get some stockers with hub caps so I'll probably end up doing that. It needs new hood latches, mirrors, upholstery and the back windows need fixing too. As far as mods go, it has a 4 barrel carb., C4 tranny, pertronix ignition & edelbrock performer intake. Nice car fastback2+2!!!!!

petronix ftw!

sixt5's coupe is currently in much nicer condition than mine (he's a local buddy of mine)

Hey, That's no Fastback! Your username is a lie!

there had to be a first mustang for me :D

my first mustang was this 1965 Fastback

5930_588944603518_38701349_34868081_8189028_n.jpg

G04cobra

Established Member
VMF is good. You gonna use the standard belt setup on that 5.0? Remember those are GT40P heads and will take a lil work to get headers to work. Also explorer and mountaineer 5.0's are reverse serpentine so they are a pain to use the serpentine setup. that being said, a mountaineer 5.0 short block is what is in the 67 coupe now.

if you want TRUE service, Mustang Parts: OEM, Performance & Accessories you might pay a little more but you can tell john what year car and what bolt and he'll rattle off the size, thread pattern, etc. he knows EVERYTHING and ive never gotten the wrong part

petronix ftw!

sixt5's coupe is currently in much nicer condition than mine (he's a local buddy of mine)

there had to be a first mustang for me :D

my first mustang was this 1965 Fastback

5930_588944603518_38701349_34868081_8189028_n.jpg

wow!! that thing is sexy!! I'm not sure what the exact name of my color is. I'll be sure to check out all the vendors you guys recommended, thanks again:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread