Just bought a 3.4 whipple

oxfordcobra3

Established Member
Just purchased a 3.4 whipple the other day, I bought it because I got a good deal on it even though I really wanted to get a 2.9 crusher. Anyways what do I need to know about this blower? Is it too big for a stock block? I'm wanting over 700whp. If anybody has any experience with this blower setup feel free to share your thoughts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

cj428mach

Established Member
That blowers going to need full time race fuel, or e85 to optimize it. Need to probably be in the mid 20 psi range, and plan on some broken lower pulleys.

oxfordcobra3

Established Member
I plan on using torco and I have a 3.50" pulley on it. Yeah I'm worried about broken lower cranks and the fact that it won't fit under a stock hood, although I've read you can use spacers on the k member. I feel like I won't be satisfied with such a large blower like this and not being able to spin it hard and get its full potential.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
If you have the factory caged lower you should be ok with the crank, my brother's 03 cobra ran a 3.4 slandered inlet on E85 and full bolt ons for 3 years, stock long block never opened with the a factory lower. The car made 770whp and ran a lot of 10.0 passes.

oxfordcobra3

Established Member
If you have the factory caged lower you should be ok with the crank, my brother's 03 cobra ran a 3.4 slandered inlet on E85 and full bolt ons for 3 years, stock long block never opened with the a factory lower. The car made 770whp and ran a lot of 10.0 passes.
Damn 770 on E-85? That's insane. I still have the factory lower pulley, so maybe I'll just get an ARP bolt for that just to be on the safe side.

stangfreak

Established Member
Those big blowers run hot. That supercharger is not a pump gas setup. The 3.4 IMO needs to be ran on e85 with a decent amount of boost. Just my opinion. Built motor high compression, more cubes you can do a pump gas setup.

My tuner tells me, and so have many members on here and other shops, 2.9 whipple is ideal, even a tvs, and if you want more power, turbo.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Pump + torco and 770 RWHP is gonna be short lived. You need the cooling and detonation resistance of E85.

hotford

Established Member
My 2.9 chursher set up on my stock 03 long block made 704 rwhp through a auto(4R75W) on E 85 @20 psi runs 10.0 for the last two years with no hiccups!

TurboGA

Established Member
3.4 Whipple seems to put alot of stress on lower pulley as well as the crank snout. I would of prefered the 2.9 Whipple setup with crusher or the 2.3 VMP

ctgreddy

Established Member
I just got a 3.4 as well but will be using e85. With you being limited to 93/torco the smaller blower is deff the better choice.

I dont think many setups will get you to 700 if you're limited to the torco mix. I guess i dont know enough about the additives but you'd need race gas or e85 to do it conservatively imo.

stangfreak

Established Member
I just got a 3.4 as well but will be using e85. With you being limited to 93/torco the smaller blower is deff the better choice.

I dont think many setups will get you to 700 if you're limited to the torco mix. I guess i dont know enough about the additives but you'd need race gas or e85 to do it conservatively imo.

My tuner told me he wouldnt even put torco in his lawn mower. My tuner is also tuning other cars now. He's doing stupid crazy high hp vettes, camaros, etc. Not just mustangs. so he see's it all.

The only way he would recommend a 3.4 is if you are going to run e85 bc of the detonation protection and most important, the cooling effect. He recommends the 2.3 tvs, a 2.6 or 2.8 kb and his favorite blower out of all of them, the 2.9 whipple. After that, if you have the money, turbo. or e85 3.4 whipple but he still doesn't like that blower.

when mustang magic rebuilt snake bite with the 3.4, they did all the testing and those big blowers run hot. Look at the 4.0. everybody took them off. That blower just produced so much damn heat. People were spending more time trying to cool that thing down than racing.

your car is going to be stupid fast with the e85 setup and the 3.4. smart smart choice with the fuel.

stangfreak

Established Member
My 2.9 chursher set up on my stock 03 long block made 704 rwhp through a auto(4R75W) on E 85 @20 psi runs 10.0 for the last two years with no hiccups!

IMO, whipple nailed the 2.9. I remember when dustin, the owner of whipple, we spoke to him on modularfords and he said he wasn't sure if there was a market for it for the 03 cobra guys. Now its one of the best blowers for these cars. They run hard.

Acunamatata

Established Member
Just purchased a 3.4 whipple the other day, I bought it because I got a good deal on it even though I really wanted to get a 2.9 crusher. Anyways what do I need to know about this blower? Is it too big for a stock block? I'm wanting over 700whp. If anybody has any experience with this blower setup feel free to share your thoughts.

What part of dallas are you from?

Users who are viewing this thread