Just bought a 1986 LX and have some???

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
This is my 6th Fox body but my first non-5.0. I had one pre-87 Fox but that was a 85 GT...which I kept stock. My game plan with this 86 LX is to start with the suspension and eventually upgrade the weak 3.8 CFI to a 5.0 EFI or larger displacement V-8 set up...a Terminator motor is another possibility?

:burnout:

From what I'm learning about the pre-87 Foxes...it's not a simple bolt on affair when it comes to aftermarket suspension/brake upgrades? Apparently the 79-86 front brakes, spindles and rear shock mounts (just to name a few things) are not the same as the 87-93 models? And since most of the aftermarket parts are geared towards the 87-93 models...you have to take additional steps before you simply bolt them on to the older Fox cars.

I was thinking about upgrading to stock 87-93 LX 5.0/GT specs on most of the suspension parts since it would be a big improvement over the stock 6 banger's set up? In addition...I'm sure there's plenty of cheap LX 5.0/GT "take off" suspension parts readily available.

One thing for sure is my LX doesn't have a rear sway bar and the car is completely stock besides some used aftermarket wheels and tires.

Has anybody transformed their 79-86 to 87-93 specs and if so...do you have any opinions or suggestions that would help with this particular project? Any resources or links would also be appreciated.

Oh and let me know if you have any old "take off" parts that you want to get rid of...especially if you live in Socal?

Thanks...

:beer:

Later...Dave

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Always thought all the automatic cars were 3.27's but I guess it was an option? Checked the axle code yesterday and she has the 2.73's. Another thing I noticed...it doesn't have a factory pinion snubber like the 5.0 cars.

The stock control arm bushings look pretty decent but almost every other piece of rubber under there is toast. The ball joints are just a glob of grease with shredded rubber tossed in for good measure. I'll replace it all anyways.

On a side note...the little old lady that owned this car was obsessed with not gettin' locked out. I found the original spare keys in a magnetic container tucked up away in the frame near the driver's side lower control arm. She must have forgot about where she put them because I found another set (copies) stuck on the rear bumper support?

:lol:

Later...Dave

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Bought two rear sway bars today for $20...one was a "solid" Fox 21 mm bar and the other was a "hollow" SN-95 23 mm bar. Besides the diameter difference...they both looked pretty much the same. I threw on the cleaner SN-95 bar and it seems to fit well?

The guy who sold me the bars...also threw in a 95 GT cat-back for free. Does anybody know if it'll bolt right up to a Fox? I'm thinking that the the SN-95 tail-pipes would hang too low under the my Fox's rear bumper?

Later...Dave

Last edited:

94-427

Established Member
the SN-95 cat backs will work, tail pipe are an exact fit, just put hole exhaust [costome made for a 96] under a 93. fit realy good tail pipe in right spot

ChrisRedGT

Established Member
There is a ton of information about upgrading the pre-87 suspensions on Corral.net. You can easily use the front suspension and the bigger brakes. Though most people go for a 5-lug conversion if they are doing a lot of changes.

Also if you want to learn about the 'four eye' join Four Eyed Pride.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
the SN-95 cat backs will work, tail pipe are an exact fit, just put hole exhaust [costome made for a 96] under a 93. fit realy good tail pipe in right spot

Good info...thanks!

There is a ton of information about upgrading the pre-87 suspensions on Corral.net. You can easily use the front suspension and the bigger brakes. Though most people go for a 5-lug conversion if they are doing a lot of changes.

Also if you want to learn about the 'four eye' join Four Eyed Pride.

Yep...I'm going to give the "Corral" and "Four Eye Pride" a try.

The 5 lug swap, rear discs and some 13" brakes is on my list of things to do. True...upgrading to the bigger 79-93 GT/LX 5.0 brakes/calipers and what not would just be a waste of time and $$$.

I'll try to find a bigger front sway bar...then start lookin' into some of the SN-95 take off parts.

Later...Dave

wheelhopper

Established Member
The automatics came in with either the 2.73s or optional 3.27s.

I would locate an SN95 rear axle, discs and all, and bolt it into your car. The axle is 1.5" wider, but you should still be able to fit 275 tires with no problems. You'll need 94-95 front spindles to add the Cobra 13" brakes. Even the SN95 GT brakes would be an upgrade for awhile. You could probably score all the parts you need for this for $500, maybe less.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
The automatics came in with either the 2.73s or optional 3.27s.

I would locate an SN95 rear axle, discs and all, and bolt it into your car. The axle is 1.5" wider, but you should still be able to fit 275 tires with no problems. You'll need 94-95 front spindles to add the Cobra 13" brakes. Even the SN95 GT brakes would be an upgrade for awhile. You could probably score all the parts you need for this for $500, maybe less.

Yep...the tag on the axle says 2.73.

True...looks like the SN-95 rear axle is the best way to go...I'll throw some gears in there before I swap it in.

Just the 94-95 front spindles? Can other spindles work...what about 96-04?

$500 or less...cool...cheap is good.

Thanks...

Later...Dave

blownfox

Established Member
The 94-95 spindle works the best, you'll need to get the +24 off set. The 96-04 will also work but I think it requires a +27 off set, but I'm probably wrong on that one.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Just planning the exhaust part of this project...what lines NEED to be moved in order to put the passenger side exhaust on?

In order to install duals on my 86...it looks like I need the dual exhaust crossmember, h-pipe hanger and passenger side muffler/tailpipe hangers? So that's easy enough to order but what about all the brake/fuel lines that run along the passenger side subframe? It looks like these are all too close to where the exhaust system will be routed?

In addition, some of the C5 automatic tranny linkage looks like it will be in the way on the passenger side pipes.

Any advice or tips on how to approach the exhaust part of this project? I have the 95 GT cat-back and will probably have some exhaust shop bend up a custom h-pipe with cats?

Later...Dave

4valvemach

Established Member
The 1979-1986 mustangs need to use the strut also from the SN95 when doing the brake swap.They also may need new brake lines and adapter fittings to finish the swap.The 1987-1993 mustangs should also use the SN95 struts when doing this.The SN95 spindle uses a revised strut monting pad location.The use of stut from a 79-93 mustang will not allow the suspension to fully extend

This is from MM&FF magazine when the did the conversion on a fox body mustang.It may cost less to just buy a catted Hpipe then have one made

Good Luck on the project :beer:

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
The 1979-1986 mustangs need to use the strut also from the SN95 when doing the brake swap.They also may need new brake lines and adapter fittings to finish the swap.The 1987-1993 mustangs should also use the SN95 struts when doing this.The SN95 spindle uses a revised strut monting pad location.The use of stut from a 79-93 mustang will not allow the suspension to fully extend

This is from MM&FF magazine when the did the conversion on a fox body mustang.It may cost less to just buy a catted Hpipe then have one made

Good Luck on the project :beer:

Thanks for the info...

Later...Dave

Jack Hidley

Established Member
Dave,

Yes, if you have a stock Fox k-member, you shouldn't use the 1996-98 or 1999-2004 spindles on the car. This will result in an essentially unfixable bumpsteer problem. See here for more details:

Mustang Spindle Install and Upgrade Warning : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

On this page is lots of information about updating the front spindles and struts on your car:

Tech Tips : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Dave,

Yes, if you have a stock Fox k-member, you shouldn't use the 1996-98 or 1999-2004 spindles on the car. This will result in an essentially unfixable bumpsteer problem. See here for more details:

Mustang Spindle Install and Upgrade Warning : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

On this page is lots of information about updating the front spindles and struts on your car:

Tech Tips : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

Hey Jack...

I've used a bunch of MM parts on my previous 347 Fox Body Project. But on that particular project, I kept the stock 1989 front spindles and 4 lug set up all around. For the rear, I dropped in a 1988 Turbo Coupe rear disc set up.

So, the only revised spindles that work with my stock 1986 k-member will be the 94-95 set up? :shrug:

Boy...that saved me alot of aggrevation.

Thanks...

Later...Dave

Jack Hidley

Established Member
Dave,

Yes, the 1994-95 spindles or of course, the 87-93 V8 spindles if the giant 11" brakes are big enough for you:)

If you do end up needing 8.8" rear shock mounts for your axle housing, PM me. I've got a few of them.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Dave,

Yes, the 1994-95 spindles or of course, the 87-93 V8 spindles if the giant 11" brakes are big enough for you:)

If you do end up needing 8.8" rear shock mounts for your axle housing, PM me. I've got a few of them.

Ya know Jack...the stock original struts and shocks were completely frozen/worn when I bought the car. For the time being...I bought some direct fit GR-2 KYB's that fit the stock 1986 set up. The rear shocks used the stock hardware and bolted directly to the 7.5 axle with no modifications. What are the axle mounts you speak of? Are these used when you use the typical aftermarket 87-93 strut/shock set ups on 79-86 cars?

:shrug:

Later...Dave

Last edited:

Jack Hidley

Established Member
Dave,

Yes, KYB, Monroe, etc all make struts for the 79-86 spindles, but virtually all of the "good" shock companies, Koni, Bilstein, Tokico, etc don't make them. They just assume that the owner will upgrade the spindles and brakes.

The ears on the 79-86 struts are 0.115" farther apart then the ears on the 87-93 V8 struts. Some of the companies mentioned above, used to make one strut model with the wider ear spacing so it would fit on the older spindles. They also included 0.115" thick shims with two holes in them. These fit between the strut ears and the spindle tab to take up the extra space on the 87-93 spindles. However, after doing this for a while, I think almost all of these companies have stopped doing this completely. They only make struts to fit the 87-93 V8 spindles. I think the one exception is Koni. They still have one model of strut for the 79-86 spindles.

With the 7.5" differential, the shocks are mounted to the differential in single shear. There is a bolt that goes through the crush sleeve in the shock bushing and then into the metal bracket welded on the axle tube. There is one big problem with this. The bolt is in single shear, so it is only half as strong as when mounted in double shear.

When Ford upgraded the Mustang to the 8.8", they mounted the shock to a bracket that puts the shock bolt in double shear.

Here is an example of the bracket itself:

1986-04 Mustang 8.8" Rear Lower Shock Mounting Bracket by Ford at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

If you look at the photo just above step 14 in the document linked below, you can see where the lower shock mount, mounts.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/content/install/pdf/rear_susp/MMCO-6.pdf

This photo is of an MM lower shock mount, but the OEM mount is in the same location.

You can't interchange the 79-86 and 87-93 shocks because the crush sleeve on the older shocks is longer. The older shock will not fit in the later shock mount due to this. The newer shock won't work mounted to a 7.5" because the crush sleeve is too short and the eyelet will hit the housing bracket.

If you purchase an 8.8" differential, it should come with both of these shock mounts. If you use your 7.5", just install the 8.8" shock mounts and use the later shock design. The shock selection is between the 7.5" and the 8.8" applications is like the old and new spindles. Not much selection of shocks for a 7.5"

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member

I threw the cat back on this weekend and it sticks out a few inches too far past the bumper. It also sits at a slight angle towards the ground. Doesn't quite look right.

:??:

This only makes sense since the SN-95 was a slightly larger vehicle and had a different style valance in the back.

;-)

I'll try cutting the tips back a few inches and if worse comes to worse...I'll just have a shop weld on some new tips that fit/look a little bit better.

Later...Dave

Users who are viewing this thread