Just Bought 88 Mustang gt 5.0

baby2000

Established Member
I just bought this car for my son cause he turns 16 in 9 months. I figured we get it and work on it together. Its got a pretty good valve cover leak and the tranny is leaking at the fittings from the cooling lines. Other than that car is in pretty good shape. Is there any write ups on replacing the valve cover gaskets? I like to see pics and stuff. Also car has an issue when driving at night and I turn on head lites and fog lites and when at a stop with signal lite on it starts to get dim and the blinker get slower and slower. What could that be? Tia

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I just bought this car for my son cause he turns 16 in 9 months. I figured we get it and work on it together. Its got a pretty good valve cover leak and the tranny is leaking at the fittings from the cooling lines. Other than that car is in pretty good shape. Is there any write ups on replacing the valve cover gaskets? I like to see pics and stuff. Also car has an issue when driving at night and I turn on head lites and fog lites and when at a stop with signal lite on it starts to get dim and the blinker get slower and slower. What could that be? Tia

Not sure if anyone has done a writeup on valve cover gaskets that I've ever seen. It's not a difficult job, but if they are leaking badly it's likely that your PCV valve needs to be replaced. I forget which year ford switched to the steel/rubber valve cover gasket arrangement, but I've never had an issue with them. If your car doesn't have those, order a set from LMR.

As far as taking them off, you'll need to remove the upper intake manifold first. This is not a difficult job. There are 6 bolts holding that on, two up front by the distributor, two in the back near the fuel pressure regulator and the vacuum T, then two longer bolts under the plate. To remove the upper, take the two (12mm?) bolts out of the throttle cable linkage plate that bolts to the EGR spacer after you've popped the cables off the TB, and set it aside. Unplug the EGR harness, TPS harness and IAC, pull the breather hose out of the TB, and clamp/remove the small EGR coolant hoses. Unhook the PCV hose from the rear of the intake, along with the feed to the main vacuum tee on the firewall, and the other two small vacuum lines on either side of it. You'll also need to unhook the vacuum line that runs around the front of the intake to the evap canister mounted on the front passenger frame rail. Then take the 6 bolts out and remove the upper intake. You now have access to the valve covers. This sounds like a ton of work when typing it out, but it's not..the job takes 20 minutes.

The issue your having at night is the alternator. The stock alternators are barely sufficent in terms of output, especially at idle. Things are slowing because your basically running off the battery. Upgrade to a 3G alternator and never worry about it again. LMR sells a kit for this upgrade that makes it easy. you'll need a dremel, and about 2 hours.

Last edited:

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member

I couldn't have written a better set of instructions that FISHTAIL, that write up reads very well.

I second that on the alternator, mine wasn't so worn out that the blinker would slow down the rate of blinking because when I bought my 91 coupe it, the alternator was new, but with any accessories on at night, especially the A/C, the lights would dim horribly. I would suggest, a 3G alternator upgrade kit from LateModelRestoration, they ship the same day if you order before 3pm, and their level of customer service for me has been exemplary. I have spent thousands of dollars with them and they have always been great.

Dig Race

Established Member
Alternator is a must upgrade for a foxbody.... Worth every penny. Valve cover gaskets are easy just make sure gasket surface is clean when you put them back on

baby2000

Established Member
Ok guys got the gaskets done and everyrhing is buttoned up. The car runs good but when I put it in park I get a surge what could it be?

baby2000

Established Member
It only happens when when the car warms up. Once it warms up if I turn it off and back on or if I put it in park I get the surge like 3 time and then it goes away and the car runs smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread