Just blended E85 into my 97 explorer...

SSeatr

Established Member
i blended it to be E35 +\- im not sure if its just me but the truck with 230k miles feels a little more peppy and wants to just chug along haha i could be wrong but it feels like its running smoother..is it just my mind tricking me or is this stuff really this good? i cant wait to get the cobra on the corn :burnout:

blkside

Established Member
E85 is a totally different fuel than gasoline. If you put it in your stock vehicle you are currently destroying it. To run E85 you need the following for any vehicle

Fuel Pump - because 85 requires more fuel than gasoline
larger injectors - same as above
upgraded fuel lines - accordian style lines will be eaten through in weeks or a couple of months when sitting (lines usually attached to OEM pumps)
Tune -to compensate scaling of injectors as well as adjusted parameters

And if you are mixing it with gas you are definitely destroying your motor...

SSeatr

Established Member
hmmm oh well shes on her last leg anyways. but 95% of all gas stations now all there fuels are E10 anyway..?(CONTAINS 10% ETHANOL) i believe i read an article that E10 is a waste and that E20-E30 was more beneficial for "normal cars" over the 10% gas blends..im going to look for the article

haha i kind've feel like an ass but whatever, its not throwing any codes as of 45 miles ::shrugs::

Last edited:

pwrshft99

Established Member
There are so many myths around E 85 its hard to sort out what true and what's crap...

E85 isn't going to destroy a late model efi motor. It just won't run to its potential unless your setup for it.

dlaude

Established Member
My explorer is the next gen (04) but it can take ethanol! I'm excited to run it soon in there, see how it responds. Just need to find out how empty I need to get the tank before I swap back and forth, that's sort of the only thing holding me back right now.

I, too, can't wait to get the cobra on the corn!!!

SSeatr

Established Member
My explorer is the next gen (04) but it can take ethanol! I'm excited to run it soon in there, see how it responds. Just need to find out how empty I need to get the tank before I swap back and forth, that's sort of the only thing holding me back right now.

I, too, can't wait to get the cobra on the corn!!!

on the newer vehicles that are equipped to handle E85 i dont think it matters you can fill with E85 at any time because of the sensor that adjusts to the quantity of ethanol in the fuel.

i could be wrong but i dont think you need to go empty in your truck if it is capable of using flexfuel

dlaude

Established Member
on the newer vehicles that are equipped to handle E85 i dont think it matters you can fill with E85 at any time because of the sensor that adjusts to the quantity of ethanol in the fuel.

i could be wrong but i dont think you need to go empty in your truck if it is capable of using flexfuel

Oh, cool. Yeah, that makes sense now that I think about it - not erryone is into cars and is as conscientious as the people into cars. Cool, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread