Just a few questions about my new L

slick4_6

Established Member
Picked up an 02 L and I dont know a lot about them. I have a few pics with some questions.

Lbeforepurchase.jpg

1110071507.jpg

1110071459.jpg

1110071458a.jpg

1110071458.jpg

I know it has a Kenne Belle throttle body, air raid intake, electric fans, Bilstein shocks, and fuel, air/fuel, boost gauges. It peaks between 12-13lbs on the autometer gauge. About how much power should it make and what kinda track times is it capable of on 295/45/20 toyo s/t tires. It does shift very fast and hard. So I don't know whats done there. What kinda stuff can I look for as far as mods.

JWG

Established Member
Good info here: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226842

Based on the way you described the shifting, it most likely has a performance valve body in the transmission.

I can't tell by the pic of the lower pulley what size it is but since you are showing 12-13Lbs of boost it might be a 4 0r 6 Lbs. This also means that the previous owner should have had a tune put on it to handle the extra boost.

If at all possible you should see if the dealer has the previous owners contact info so you can ask him (or her) what all had been done to the truck.

Last edited:

slick4_6

Established Member
Good info here:
If at all possible you should see if the dealer has the previous owners contact info so you can ask him (or her) what all had been done to the truck.

Tried that, it is against their policy. If anyone knows who traded it in on a new 350Z in Asheboro NC I would love to be able to talk to them.

I have already read the faq, but I didnt know anything about track times or hp with a few mods. I am gonna do some searching but was kinda looking for the stuff I could find out from the couple of pics I snapped on my cell phone.

Last edited:

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
More importantly is how your truck is tuned. Track times and HP will do you no good if it's not tuned correctly for the added boost level from the larger lower pulley and intake. A good safe tune is the most important thing. With cold weather here you do not want to join the vented block club.

First thing that I would do is find a local tuner and have the PCM checked for a custom tune.

slick4_6

Established Member
kb doesnt make tb.. looks like a polished acubfab..

very clean truck imo...

mods = whipple :rockon:

It says kenne belle in huge letters across the top, I didnt know any better. Hopefully the previous owner didnt run a kenne belle blower. It has an autometer phantom air/fuel gauge that reads pretty heavy to the rich side at 3/4+ throttle. I dont know where the sensor is at though so it might not even matter what it says. I need to get it on a dyno to check the air/fuel anyway. I have a dyno close but I wouldn't let them tune it. I would goto Charlotte if it needed to be retuned.

Thanks for all the help so far. If it was a Cobra I would know what was going on.

Last edited:

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
one thing is for sure, that upper pullie looks like hell. and the rust could hurt the belt if not cleaned up. im sure the old owner swaped it out when traded in.
im usre somoene knows who's it was.

RUthLEss03

11.24@123
Established Member
When you get the title, just look at the name on it for the previous owner. That's what I did.

It's got mods. It would be beneficial to know what they all.

slick4_6

Established Member
When you get the title, just look at the name on it for the previous owner. That's what I did.

It's got mods. It would be beneficial to know what they all.

LOL I wish. I probably want be seeing the title for a while. I didn't think about that though so maybe I can get a peek at it.

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
I try to stay away from mod'd vehicles from a dealership.....bought my 03 with a few mods and my 01 stock. You can figure out the lower pulley size by measuring its' size. I also would bring it to a reputable tuner and get a good dyno tune. My 03 was slightly mod'd when I got it...when we got it on the dyno the a/f was all screwy. We also took the tq reduction off and set the line pressure to stock. Not knowing what Valve Body was in it I took no chances and replaced it anyway with a new FTVB. You can probably find someone on here in the MARKET area with a good stock upper pulley for cheap.

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
Get a Oasis report run on it, the previous owners name should be on there. Atleast it was on the report I got. Then start a new "Looking for SO and So" thread.

02REDSVT

alienfreek
Established Member
Oh man, you got one of THOSE hoods?!! You don't need that, you probably should just trade it for a stocker..:-D JK man... nice truck... Def sounds like a FTVB is in there.... Maybe look at getting a wideband A/F gauge for that lower pulley to see where your A/F is...good luck,man!

slick4_6

Established Member
Oh man, you got one of THOSE hoods?!! You don't need that, you probably should just trade it for a stocker.

Are you interested, I am not really a big fan of it. Some of my friends like it and some don't. I guess it is sorta hit or miss.

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
Are you interested, I am not really a big fan of it. Some of my friends like it and some don't. I guess it is sorta hit or miss.

I have the same hood on mine. I like the way it looks personally, but its just too damned heavy. I'll probably change it for a lighter cowl hood when the truck gets painted in 2 years or so. I don't have the money to do it now like some of these guys here do :(

LghtngGunr60

Established Member
I'm in a similar situation. Picked mine up mid Oct in Jacksonville, Fl. Car fax report had it in so Ga. Pretty sure it's bone stock but I'm probably the furthest thing from being a mechanic. Apologies for not helping your situation out any. Misery loves company! Make sure you get your no. from 1-800-FORD-SVT. I'll get some pics of mine on here as soon as I get her cleaned up (1693/4270). Best of luck! - Dan

krzemienr

NOS Doesn't Make You Cool
Established Member
nice looking truck there.. not a big fan of the chrome wheels and the hood, but a nice truck it is.. welcome to the forum

slick4_6

Established Member
Maybe look at getting a wideband A/F gauge for that lower pulley to see where your A/F is...good luck,man!

How accurate is the Autometer A/F gauge? It had one installed in the a pillar along with a boost and fuel pressure gauge also by Autometer when I bought it. It bounces around alot when just driving normal, but when you step into about 3-5+ lbs of boost it jumps up to the R in Rich and stays there until you let up.

Users who are viewing this thread