just a couple questions about a header install

o0 01 SVT 0o

Established Member
ok so i am gonna go ahead and buy some long tube headers for the car. still havent decided which ones but i will here in the next couple days.

anyway the first question about the install is this. i know that their are only two real ways to do it drop the k member or lift the engine. i am going go the lifting the engine route and i was curious if i could get away with undoing the motor mounts and just lifting the engine from below the few inches needed without discoing everything?..

second question. I have some exhaust wrap floating around. bought two rolls previously. do you guys think it would be worth putting that on before installing the headers?

if it helps the route i plan on going is F/I.. supercharger obviously and doing top speed runs sometime down the road.

pbeechner

Established Member
The easiest way IMO is to drop the kmember. I don't think you'll be able to get to the bolts you need to get to safely without doing that. That said, it IS a PITA. I spent 14 hours doing it to replace my motor mounts. Just make sure when you drop the kmember that you mark where it was so you can put it back exactly. There is so much space once the kmember is out.... I wouldn't want to do it any other way :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread