Judgement Day for GM

2k1cobra

Established Member
Not sure if this is a repost
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/content/11437647771873110883/
At 9:30am this morning, a group of lawyers representing bankrupt auto parts supplier Delphi will appear in front of Federal Bankruptcy Judge Robert Drain. The lawyers will file legal motions for Sections 1113 and 1114. It’s a legal request to void Delphi’s current collective bargaining agreements with the United Auto Workers (UAW). The moment the judge says the word “granted,” he will terminate the wage structure, post-retirement health care and life insurance plans for the company’s 33k US hourly workers. The UAW will respond with a strike against Delphi. Starved of its former subsidiary’s parts, GM’s assembly lines will fall silent. The General will begin its final slide into Chapter 11.

There will be a gap between Delphi’s filing, the judge’s final ruling (May 9th) and industrial action. During this highly fraught interregnum, Delphi President Steve "Quotation Marks" Miller may make a fourth wage and benefits offer to the UAW. The proposal would fall somewhere between the workers’ current compensation ($27 per hour) and Miller’s last last stand ($16.50 per hour). As we’ve said before, the UAW will accept nothing less than the status quo, and that’s somewhere where Miller won’t go-- at least not without GM footing the bill. Common sense says if GM CEO Rick Wagoner was going to ride to Delphi’s rescue, he would have done so already. Chances are he can’t.

Analysts estimate that the General’s got about $20b lying around. Take away the $10b GM needs to run its business, add in its line of credit, discount its line of credit (the company just got locked-out of $5.6b worth of previously available funds), add in recent and upcoming sales of overseas assets (including Isuzu), discount the cost of recently announced worker buyouts and plant closures, add back the cost of worker buyouts (it’s unlikely that many workers outside the infamous jobs bank will take-up GM’s offer), discount ongoing losses from its automotive operations, ponder the possibility of more “accounting adjustments,” throw your hands in the air regarding the possibility of GM selling majority interest in its GMAC finance unit (The General's only remaining lifeline), and you’d be forgiven for wanting to check Rabid Rick’s wallet.

GM's inability/reluctance to pay off Delphi’s UAW work force may be the clearest indication of The General's true financial situation. In fact, despite a stock price still hovering around $20 a share, the world's largest automaker could very well be worthless. I write that with some trepidation. I’m aware that any large institution in extreme financial crisis is susceptible to the fatal effects of negative perception. So much so, it’s entirely possible that GM’s fate will be sealed somewhere well away from federal bankruptcy court, by someone who simply loses faith in The General’s future. For example...

Although The General has pledged to reduce sales to rental car fleets, the automaker still sells as much as 15% of its US production to these volume/discount buyers (roughly 600k vehicles). All of the purchases are financed by large banks, who lend money to the fleets based on the strength of GM’s buyback guarantee. All of these banks have industry analysts who now admit (if not actually forecast) the possibility of a GM bankruptcy. Should the banks suddenly decide that GM's buyback guarantees are meaningless, financing for GM products would dry up quicker than the Mojave Desert after a light drizzle. Without rental sales, well, as TTAC’s Deep Throat eloquently puts it, GM would soon be Tango Uniform.

Alternatively, GM’s suppliers could be its ultimate downfall-- a poignant reversal given how harshly The General has treated its parts-providing “partners.” While GM’s biggest suppliers aren’t anywhere near as short-sighted as the UAW (i.e. they know better than to kill the golden goose, no matter how pitted and pathetic it may seem), a smaller, mission critical, non-GM dependent supplier could look at the lay of the land, get up its gumption, and refuse to give GM credit on terms. GM would have to put cash up front for its parts. Once news of the deal got out, all of GM’s suppliers would seek similar protection. GM couldn't survive this “run on the bank” scenario.

And so it goes. As anyone who’s been following this story knows, we’re at the point where if it's not one damn thing, it’s another. Critics who call for Wagoner’s head are missing the point. GM has expended all its capital: political, creative, financial, moral and, now, psychological. When I started this GM Death Watch, TTAC was one of the few places where the words “GM” and “bankruptcy” appeared in the same sentence. Those days are gone, and it’s not our fault. Time and time again, GM had their chance to do the right thing. To stand up, admit their failures and change their business. Now, it’s too late.

Last edited:

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
I am a Ford man and I know Ford is also in deep deep trouble, but this is a sad day for the american auto industry.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Really but I do have to add that alot of these companies are still paying their CEO millions with more after they retire. Guess the age of the pension is gone and Soso security is next to be chopped.

bone stock

Established Member
toomanymustangs said:
1st priority - get rid of UAW and start completly over with a new labor force.

im kinda young here so correct me if i'm wrong. did the unions kill themselves with all of their demands decades ago?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
toomanymustangs said:
1st priority - get rid of UAW and start completly over with a new labor force.

+1 Billion

IMO, better to declare chapter 11 now, get it over with. Clear the slate and start over without those worthless leaches (UAW) bleeding them dry.

As you can see, I have ZERO respect for the UAW and hope they get what they deserve. Lazy ass bastards!!!!

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Ford should start hiring illegal immigrants :poke: :read:

Harry Schneider

Established Member
It's just as bad in Canada guys...f--kin unions have killed alot of companies and will continue to force companies to close their doors because of their outragous demands. I live in the worst province for unions, British Columbia. With the NDP rule here for so long, the unions are now at a point where they actually believe that someone that works at Starbucks making your coffee in the morning deserves $20+ /hr. They even tried to unionize McDonalds for f--k sake! I hate f--kin unions...there was a time in the 20's and 30's where they did some good, but now there is a thing called labour law that employers must follow, so now unions are just a bunch of trouble making lazy ass execs. who've come to realize that if the employer and employee are both happy with their situation, the union rep. is out of a job!! So the last thing they want is for everyone to be happy. I've always made more money in a non-union shop because I don't need them to protect me, like some lazy asses do. That is why GM will go down, and many other companies too. Today...unions kill!!!

Last edited:

titaniumSS

Established Member
203Cree said:
At least they'd probably work to earn their paychecks.

My father has worked for Ford for the last 15 years, he does a damn good job, there may be some stragglers but all of them that i know go in to the claycomo plant here, work in non air conditioned atmospheres and come home exhausted. And this is coming because dumbshits in america don't even see why they should buy american auto anymore because the ****in japs and their cars are soooo cool. Imports are slowly bringing our economy down, more and more people will buy and less americans will have jobs.

Down with the japs and stupid americans. :nonono:

Edit: unions also aren't all bad. At least they give their workers benefits, good pay, good retirement plans, so on. Hell, look at the people working for the import autos, they don't get shit. Everybody is all hyped up on "support our troops", what about "support our americans", if we don't have our auto industry, there won't be much of a country to come back to.

Last edited:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
You know the unions had everything screwed up when my ex-girlfriend worked on an assembly line with no college and made the same amount of money as me as a skilled machinist with an engineering degree!!

bnglcat

Established Member
I think a lot of americans don't buy american because they can get a "jap" car for less and get better build quality and reliability in the process. I know my Cobra was put together like shit. Gaps everywhere...for a 40k car, that is rediculous.

America workers don't have a motivation to make the best because if they screw up, the UAW will jump in and make sure they keep their job. I have seen a lot of guys keep their jobs because of union intervention that should have been tossed out on their ass many times over.

When American quality matches "jap" quality for comparible prices, then americans will buy more american cars. Until then, the "japs" will rule.

titaniumSS

Established Member
Sadly it won't be up to the workers, the dumb**** execs will have to realize it which may be too late. Oh, and i work for japs, i have never hated their antics more lol but with hybrids coming out just about $4000 or so over regular car price, i think that will help out the american auto industry a lot.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
203Cree said:
At least they'd probably work to earn their paychecks.

Sad but true. The UAW has gotten to the point where if they want anymore, employees will have 364 days/year paid vacation.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
The UAW has held the auto industry hostage for too many years. $27/hr (almost $60K/yr) plus their insane benefits package is ridiculous for semi skilled labor. The auto lines are so automated there is barely anything to do except screw down bolts and operate the buttons that control the machinary.

They should do a specific job assessment and compare that job to the work and pay of others in similar manufacturing fields and pay comparable, which is probably closer to $12 -$15/yr and not the hefty benefits package.

Users who are viewing this thread