Joomla, VB, MySQL Guys...gotta question for ya

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
I'm helping some friends setup a forum and a new website for their car club.

We've got the MySQL database setup and the Vbulletin Forums installed, everything's good and working properly.

We're going to use Joomla to setup and maintain our website home page and

My question is, do I need to create a 2nd MySQL database for the Joomla to run off of, or will it run ok using the MySQL database that the forums are running off?

I've never installed both at the same time before, I've either had the Website with Joomla, or just a website with a forum.

Thanks

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I would think you could run the same instance of MySQL, you would just need to spin up another database. I am in similar boat, my company for years had their website hosted, but now want to bring it in house. I have never been a webadmin or a DBA, just core infrastructure AD/DNS, networking, security and as of late SAN deployment and maintenance. I have been reading everything I can find in regards to Joomla and web design. Hopefully modestmike will chime in, I think this is right up his alley..

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
that's what i was thinking, but I wasn't sure. I'll wait and see if moddestmike pops in and offers some insight.

JasonSnake

Established Member
what language does Joomla use? If asp.net, you might as well use MSSQL Server Express but I am only most familiar with C#/asp.net and not php/mysql, etc.

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
gotta have PHP and MySQL for the Joomla. i found my answer, took a lot of forum digging on google,but had I setup the database for joomla, then i could have used it for the forum, but since I did the forum first i have to setup another MySQL dbase to run the Joomla.

there's a way to make it work with just one database, but it's too technical for me, so we'll just setup the 2nd database tomorrow and make it independent.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
gotta have PHP and MySQL for the Joomla. i found my answer, took a lot of forum digging on google,but had I setup the database for joomla, then i could have used it for the forum, but since I did the forum first i have to setup another MySQL dbase to run the Joomla.

there's a way to make it work with just one database, but it's too technical for me, so we'll just setup the 2nd database tomorrow and make it independent.

Hey man, sorry it took so long to reply. But your on the right track, using one DB will get real confusing really fast. You could make it work but for something with growth potential like a forum its not recommended.You have to consider what would happen IF there was a failure and for some odd reason the DB was not backed up. Your looking at a shit load of work to do all over again. Separate DB's allow for scalability and just simplicity. Again, sorry for not getting with you sooner.

Edit: I am not sure if you are aware or not, but v4 of vbulletin will have a built in CMS system. I'd take a look at that, before you get invested into Joomla.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread