Jonny Lightning CAI - dont waste your money!

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Bought the Jonny Lightning. Went to install and boy is that thing a POS. I took it back.

1. Its VERY VERY HEAVY!

2. Can see a gap around the neck. Air can get into the system without going through filter.

3. JUST SITS in the engine bay. Nothing to keep it from banging around and vibrating. Will eventually wear everything around it!

4. The "ram air" duct does NOT go on the inlet hole easy.

5. The ram air ducting was also about 6" too short.

6. Sucks PLENTY of hot engine-bay air.

The entire thing looks and feels CHEAP! I paid $185 for the crap! GLAD I got my money back!!!

This is NOT a professional looking or working item. Please dont waste your money. Not convinced it works any better anyway.

THUMBS DOWN!

TruBlu03

Have any pics of the setup? I thought the unit came with a heat shield of sorts? Maybe I'm thinking of something else?

Blackcobra

Established Member
I tend to agree with this post. It looked really cool installed when I saw it at Bowling Green, but I was unhappy with it when my order arrived. In addition to the gaps in the welding that you referred to and other problems, I also had no instructions in my box. Think I'm going with UPR... unless Densecharger is better (sure wish I had some apples-to-apples comparo evidence on CAI systems).

TruBlu03

I think the Dr Jamie is doing a comparo as we speak for the magazine. Very interested to see the outcome.

The pics I saw of the JLP looked like the chit to me, have not seen it in person though and these posts aren't helping any :)

Other than postbans airbox mod, I haven't seen anything I like except the JLP kit, which isn't any good if what you guys are reporting is the case. What a PITA.

Anyone have a decent pic of the Amazon setup?? Can't tell squat from the pic on their web site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
I hear the densecharger is made of PVC pipe and is crap too. Thats what the speed shop said.

Yea I saw the JLP installed on an 03. I hummed and hawwed for 1/2 hour. Decided it would be easier to install over the fender thing. I was soooo disappointed when I went to install.

Its black and its a BOX with an open top. The filter sits in the BOX (heavy). There is a round opening on the side where the "ram air" hos connects.

Looks like some guy put about 1 hours thought into it, 2 hours fabricating, and 10 minutes painting. VERY VERY shoddy work. Can anyone say MONEY SCAM?

jtfx6552

Established Member
I appreciate the effort to let people know about shoddy products, but...

I have met the JL folks and they seem like a very nice, honest hardworking group. They just got their '03 and I think they will develop more and more nice stuff as time goes by.

Sounds like they did the right thing and took it back. I am sure they will correct the problems you mentioned.

JT

Warp03Cobra

Community Racers
Established Member
UPR CAI

I have to say after reading all the Air Intake posts...I LOVE my UPR CAI.:rolling:

Heres why...:idea:

1) Inspection upon arrival. All parts included including all bolts and easy instructions. Filter has air inlet on top/at small end too (K/N is solid at the end as is of course stock unit.) The heat shield fit perfectly and bolted right in. The black pipe looks cool and is very solid and professional, however now that I have it, I wish I had gotten the yellow powder coated version to show it off more!

2) Ease of installation. I am a basic buffoon when it comes to install, but I got this guy done in less than 1/2 hour. and I didn't break anything or end up with any extra parts.

3) Completed visual. THis product looks professional. All parts are serious metal except for the filter which looks to be equal to or better than the k/n filter (more surface area I think). But the filter is in the fender now and pulls cold air from there instead of the hot engine bay.

4)Audio. The blower is DEFINATELY LOUDER:eek: and it sounds much better. I enjoy its music that much more now!

5) Performance. Definate seat o my pants improvement. It gets up to 100 (and then some) noticibly easier than just k/n and snorkel removed. The needle goes a notch closer to 10 when pegged, but here in the altitude i'll never get enough air in there.

SUmmary
After reading the messages about the others and NOT being able to fabricate my own. I am beyond pleased with my UPR. I am sort of considering getting the yellow pipe for the heck of it...nah, the wife says I got mo important tings to be buying for this car before I start duplicating, heh.
:p

Boomer

Established Member
I installed the JLP in CAI ,I dont agree, my boost now goes to 10,I think they make a very good and useful product. There was no instructions,but come I thought real men didn't read them.Come on its 4 pieces,metal box,filter,ducting and a clamp.and you don't no where they go.

1.heavy, it' metal can't weigh over a 2-4 lbs

2. better look closer,I thought that too,till I look at the way the plastic its bolting up to,there's a lip on the stock side .

3.yes its just sits there ,mine fit snuggly in the area,mine cant move.

4.the ram air tubing went over the holes for me just fine,wouldn't want it to loosely fit on ,yes it could use a clamp.but since there is no movement,the tubing not going anywhere

5.the ducting for me was just the right length ,no problem for me there

6.Yes it probally will with the car sitting still,but no more than if you removed the snorkel from the stock setup.

mm49

Established Member
Opinions are like ***holes, we all have 'em and the Biggest part of the time they all Stink...

I too have a JLP Ram Air Box. Amazingly enough I have had Zero problem with it or the Install. The quality of my item was great. No leaks, the Tube was the Perfect length and Yes the inlet was a little tight but it has been on for 2 weeks and I don't think it is coming off.

I datalogged before and after IAT #s and saw 25-40 degree Intake Air Temp drop. Maybe because I know John personally and value his experience and opinion I am more understanding of the people that go to great lengths to develope quality products and stand by them weather the Customer is Happy or Not. Last time I checked He had tons of Quality parts for Lightnings and I will no doubt expect the same for our Cobras. By the way, you got your $$ back, so go buy something else that satisfies you and please Oh please make sure it has some instructions.

:whine:

Just my Opinion and .02 worth !

Jon Lund
Bear, DE

Last edited:

Silver 03 Cobra

A buddy of mine got one of the first ones released and he is very pleased. I looked at it when we were putting on his pulley and looked pretty good to me.

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
I also bought the JLP kit after seeing it at the 03 shootout. I disagree with those who say that instructions aren't necessary. I have NEVER done anything with cars, but I am trying to learn. Now I have all this hardware and I have an IDEA what to do with it, but being a novice it is intimadating. Some ppl grow up around cars, some dont know s@$% about them. Ripping ppl that have others install things, or making fun of ppl that ask 'dumb' questions, that you find simple, benefits no one. Maybe that is why the import scene is so big now, those guys actually help/hangout with each other, not belittle each other. [/rant off]

jason

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by mm49
Opinions are like ***holes, we all have 'em and the Biggest part of the time they all Stink...

I too have a JLP Ram Air Box. Amazingly enough I have had Zero problem with it or the Install. The quality of my item was great. No leaks, the Tube was the Perfect length and Yes the inlet was a little tight but it has been on for 2 weeks and I don't think it is coming off.

I datalogged before and after IAT #s and saw 25-40 degree Intake Air Temp drop. Maybe because I know John personally and value his experience and opinion I am more understanding of the people that go to great lengths to develope quality products and stand by them weather the Customer is Happy or Not. Last time I checked He had tons of Quality parts for Lightnings and I will no doubt expect the same for our Cobras. By the way, you got your $$ back, so go buy something else that satisfies you and please Oh please make sure it has some instructions.

:whine:

Just my Opinion and .02 worth !

Jon Lund
Bear, DE

First off, if your going to RAGE on someone you need to AT VERY LEAST read the f*ing thread. Not ONCE did I EVER say anything about the instructions.

By NO MEANS is this JLP CAI an "quality" part!

This 03 Cobra Forum "for your information" is for CONSUMER EDUCATION. I expect everyone to make there own decision. Not ONCE have I ever said negative things about any other aftermarket parts. I give an HONEST consumer opinion. I have NOTHING against JLP personally. This is BUSINESS!! When I spent money and was not happy I wanted to share my experience.

You like it, GOOD! Keep it! I am sure consensus will agree with me. The thing is crap.

Do you even understand the concept of a consumer education?

:gt:

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Oh and BTW: What would this site and ANY OTHER FORUM ON THE WWW be without OPINIONS?

I'm done...

mm49

Established Member
Well OK, there "Fast03Cobra" I guess you told me!

As good ole Bill Murrary would say " Lighten up Francis"

By the way CONSUMER EDUCATION can not be based on one person or opinion that is why I posted. And Yes I agree you did not reference the "No Instruction" that was "Blackcobra" No flames intended just my .02 worth. And for the Record my JLP Ram Air works great, looks great, and performs great.

I'm done too...

2kbill

Established Member
Fast03Cobra - so that others aren't misled by your speedshops statements, the Densecharger docs say it is ABS, not PVC. It is very lightweight, and in my opinion is certainly not crap.

F8LBITE

4xPerformanceParts
Established Member
Hey fast 03 do you run at MIR. I think I spoke to you the other day. I'm from Speed Unlimited. If so are you coming to the Ford race?

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by mm49
Well OK, there "Fast03Cobra" I guess you told me!

As good ole Bill Murrary would say " Lighten up Francis"

By the way CONSUMER EDUCATION can not be based on one person or opinion that is why I posted. And Yes I agree you did not reference the "No Instruction" that was "Blackcobra" No flames intended just my .02 worth. And for the Record my JLP Ram Air works great, looks great, and performs great.

I'm done too...

Hey mm49, I appologize! Stressful evening. I was just trying to get my point across sternly. I was not really that pissed. I've cooled a bit.

:)

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by F8LBITE
Hey fast 03 do you run at MIR. I think I spoke to you the other day. I'm from Speed Unlimited. If so are you coming to the Ford race?

Yup thats me! I have run at MIR twice lately.

I dont know anything about the Ford race. Do tell!

I plan on making one more run at MIR in the near future. I like the Sunday T&T better than the Friday M-M.

Maybe my NGK TR6's will get me into the 11's? The car certainly runs smoother.

mm49

Established Member
Hey "Fast03Cobra" No problem. I know what ya mean, Today was a complete wash to go to work....:)

Take it easy and Make more Horsepower and get those 11s !!!!

:-D

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread