Joining the Navy Question !

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
I've though about it long and hard and thinking about enlisting ! I was going to join the Army when I was 18 but got an illness that prevented me from joining at that time. I'm 3 years out now and wondering what kinda of preexamination there are. I'm in pretty good physical shape now ! And could prolly do the physical tests no prob. But I have 2 probs. I had a tumor in my chest that has left a piece of scar tissue the size of a softball.. Do they screen this type of stuff.. I still talk to a retired army recruiter every once in awhile he said that I could sneek in ? And they would prolly never know ! But if it came back or something happened that could have been from my illness that they would void all my benefits and kick me out ! ? I've thought long and hard and this is what I wanna do and have almost my whole life wanted to do ! But I just got dealt a bad hand after high school ! I'm more or less wondering what I have to do medical wise to get in and if there is any way ! My recruiter says hodgkins survivors have to wait 5 years. Which would mean that I would have to wait 2 - 3 more years. Or do you think I could make it without telling. Is there any chance of signing a waiver or something !

MightyMo

Established Member
that big of a medical condition.. I would not hide anything..
Unky Sam could bust your for fraud? Anyhow, taking a chance is no good..

Dude, the Navy is gonna stick you on a sub or a boat for long periods of time and not just once but many times in your career.
Army and Marines treat their folks like crap!
The best ones are the Air Force and Coast Guard. I have a close friend in the Coast Guard and I have been in the Air Force for 15 years. AF is where its at !! I have worked with all the various forces and the AF has got the cats meow by the behind!!

White Horse

Notch your normal Mustang
Established Member
:lol:

Funny you should say that! I am in the Army and have been for 10 years now. I must admit, that yes you are treated like crap most of the time, but you get out of it what you want. If you let them treat you like crap a lot, then you always will. I got treated like crap once or twice and said that was the end of that. All you have to do is stand for what you believe and the rest will fall in line. Yes, some things you will have no control over, but as time goes on, you will be in control of more things than you could imagine. I am kind of jealous of the Air Force guys as I know they live the good life. Oh well, just my $.02.

:D

GoatDaddy

I don't think they would examine you for something like that, but you are obligated to disclose it, and if you don't it might be a fraudulent enlistment.
I did four years in the AF, but my job had me working with the ARmy, so I got to see both sides of the coin. Quality of life differences are huge, but there are tradeoffs. It takes a long time to make rank in the AF (usually), but you live well; the Army qaulity of life isn't that great, but you'll make E9 in about 2 years if you know your ABC's and can tie your shoes. kidding, of course.
PM me if you have any more questions.
One more thing: go in as an officer if you can.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Bah, shuddup Dan :p Join the AF AND go to school!!! They pay for 100% of your tuition!!!! I love the Marine Corps, but as said previous, you are a turd in a big toilet bowl. AF treats its people decent and the deployment time isn't that bad. Navy, as previous said, if you want live on a boat sure go for it. Army...can't ay much about them as don't know anything. Aim High!

Ripper

Established Member
Only prob I have is getting in ! I wanna see the world and am so far out of school I would have to take every remedial course known to man to catch back up ! Prolly take 4 years for an associate degree. ! I'm guessing there is no way around the medical part of it !

Tony_Montana87

BANNED!
ya im thinking of joining the air force after high school. at first i wanted to join the marines but found out i can get my futrue in the AF, so thats where im goin. Yup yup . so what kind of benifits are there in the AF mustang scotty? i might even stay in for 20 years and retire at a young age lol that would be SWEET!!

Ripper

Established Member
I'm almost 99 % sure i'll never have to deal with this crap again ! Had a lil scare a couple of months ago ! Good Lord giving me goosebumps just thinking about that day ! :) But i'm wondering if I go in now and it'll be 5 years in 2 years. I will be a survivor ! If it does come back though, or I get a similiar illness i'm sure they'll come back to myu medical records and get kicked out and who knows what else. ehhhh i'm busting my brain ! LOL... Who knows. But i wanna goto school but I just wanna get in a career. Job market right now is horrible. I've got a descent job now. Going to be in the low 40's prolly but I get no satisfaction in it and is mind numbing work anymore !

RRTX

Established Member
I was in the Army for 4 years and I agree with all the Air Force reccomendations. The best advice I can give is no matter what branch you decide to join, pick a job that you can use later in life. I made the mistake of picking a job that left me with very little skills that can be used now that I'm out, but I sure did have a good time blowing stuff up lol

amwalker

the wrench
Established Member
Tony_Montana87, i'm 17, in high scool and enlised in the af, pm me if you have any questions.

ripper, from what i've seen on base tours and trial programs, the af gets treated the best, the navy spends all of its money on its boats and planes, so not much is spent on the people (compared with af) and i'm not too sure on the army cause i haven't seen their bases yet, but good luck in whatever path you choose.

GoatDaddy

Originally posted by RTStabler51
Bah, shuddup Dan :p Join the AF AND go to school!!! They pay for 100% of your tuition!!!! I love the Marine Corps, but as said previous, you are a turd in a big toilet bowl. AF treats its people decent and the deployment time isn't that bad. Navy, as previous said, if you want live on a boat sure go for it. Army...can't ay much about them as don't know anything. Aim High!

The AF pays for 75% of the tuition, you pay the rest plus books, but at year end you can claim the 25% you paid and your book expenses on your taxes, and be reimbursed in full.
I finished 2 years of college in the AF, got out and finished the other 2 years on the G.I. BIll, now I"m getting my Masters and I still have GI BIll left.
If you go in, GET THE GI BILLLLLLLLLLLLL! it's great.

GoatDaddy

Originally posted by Ripper
Only prob I have is getting in ! I wanna see the world and am so far out of school I would have to take every remedial course known to man to catch back up ! Prolly take 4 years for an associate degree. ! I'm guessing there is no way around the medical part of it !

you can be an officer in the Army with an Assoc. degree.

GoatDaddy

Originally posted by RRTX
I was in the Army for 4 years and I agree with all the Air Force reccomendations. The best advice I can give is no matter what branch you decide to join, pick a job that you can use later in life. I made the mistake of picking a job that left me with very little skills that can be used now that I'm out, but I sure did have a good time blowing stuff up lol

Very true! I had a great time during my 4 years in the AF...jumping out of planes, rappelling out of helicopters, blowing things up, but now I'm a civilian with no marketable skills, unless you need an airstrike called in, and I have a messed up knee and lower back.

However, I do have a very small pen!s, so that must be worth something.

Last edited by a moderator:

H46D

Shark attacks up
Established Member
Interesting points of view from people which do not know Jack sh1t about another Branch of service.

Heres my spin on it...

Do what you want. Every organization has faults and you will have to be willing to sacrifice certain things to achieve your goal.
Do not get caught up in the HYPE of one branch over another...You can look at my profile and see what I do if is that important to you. Good Luck. If you have Qs about the Navy feel free to email me or PM me. However your condition may be disqualifying at the MEPS(Military entrance processing station).

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
H46D, did we hurt your feelings? :p

As stated, each branch has its plus and minuses.........

As for the 75% thing...must just be the USMC.....since I've come back in, all the active duty has said its at 100% now...I just figured it was service wide.

Someon hit the nail on the head. If / when you do go in, make sure its in a job where you can use it on the outside. I know my job got me the job I have now.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Ripper,
I'm probably the grandpa of the group as far as Military service goes. I currently have 23 1/2 years in the Navy as a submariner and have loved every minute of it. I have travelled all over the world (Greece, Spain, Portugal, Norway, Germany, Italy, France, Israel, England, Scotland, Japan, Malaysia, Korea, Austrailia, PI, Thialand:)-p ), Singapore, Hong Kong, to name a few). The military, regardless of branch of service is only as good as what you make it. If you strive to be the best, the military will have it's rewards. I have also seen countless sailors in the SUB community make tons of money for re-enlistment contracts, (60K+), more than any other branch of service. The training you receive is an excellent stepping stone for career minded individuals. Your sucess and QOL will be determinded on how hard you work, and Uncle Sam will foot the bill for your education even if its for 4 years or a career. It's also nice having fought in two wars and never really having been a traget.:) There's a special feeling about defending the freedom we enjoy on a daily basis. Good luck with whatever you choose. I can't help you with the medical issues you may face, but if you hav any other questions, PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread