Job

werewoulf3

The Land of Hillbillys
Established Member
Well i still havent picked a job yet, im not open contract, but i want aviation mechanics, but my recruiter says its not availible.......so my question is, what would be some other good jobs in the marines? i like being outside, i dont like doing the same things over everyday, i like to mix things up, im into computers, guns, and things that move........any ideas would be greatly appreciated

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Id wait it out until your job opens up if thats specifically what you want. If you like being outside just be a grunt. Plenty of guns and outside there

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Keep pushing for the mechanic job if its what you really want to do. You could always tell the recruiter you will go talk to the Army recruiter to see if they have any aviation machanic slots open. Turn and walk away and see how fast it takes him to "make a few calls and pull some strings" to get you that job.

Do you want something that you can use when you get out or something really fun while you are in? If fun is what you are after then combat engineer FTW. But obviously I'm a little biased. ;-)

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Keep pushing for the mechanic job if its what you really want to do. You could always tell the recruiter you will go talk to the Army recruiter to see if they have any aviation machanic slots open. Turn and walk away and see how fast it takes him to "make a few calls and pull some strings" to get you that job.

Do you want something that you can use when you get out or something really fun while you are in? If fun is what you are after then combat engineer FTW. But obviously I'm a little biased. ;-)

:rockon:

Sappers Lead The Way!

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
If you are into computers, guns, things that move and being outside then consider being a tanker. They deal with all of the above. Other than that in all honesty Combat Engineer is another good choice to fill a bunch of those.

If you are extremely adamant about avmec then hold out for it. Ultimately it's up to you, not your recruiter.

GT500EA

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I was an Apache Helicopter Mechanic (Crewchief) for 5 years....not my cup of tea....I reclassed to Calvary Scout as soon as I came up for re-enlistment. Aviation is a great field if you want to get something under your belt that can make you some serious money in the civilian life. But other than that, it gets kind of boring. Same old stuff...over and over again...and you never REALLY get to see any action. Since I reclassed to a Cavalry Scout, I've enjoyed every day of it. Im in a RSTA (Reconnaissance, Surveillance, and Target Acquisition) unit, and we do anything and everything on the ground. I would say if you want to get out and have some fun...and you said you like to be outside...I would definetly chose an MOS in Combat Arms. But if Aviation is what you really want...then hold out for it...you're going to get it if you really want it....don't let them change your mind. Good luck.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
I was an Apache Helicopter Mechanic (Crewchief) for 5 years....not my cup of tea....I reclassed to Calvary Scout as soon as I came up for re-enlistment. Aviation is a great field if you want to get something under your belt that can make you some serious money in the civilian life. But other than that, it gets kind of boring. Same old stuff...over and over again...and you never REALLY get to see any action. Since I reclassed to a Cavalry Scout, I've enjoyed every day of it. Im in a RSTA (Reconnaissance, Surveillance, and Target Acquisition) unit, and we do anything and everything on the ground. I would say if you want to get out and have some fun...and you said you like to be outside...I would definetly chose an MOS in Combat Arms. But if Aviation is what you really want...then hold out for it...you're going to get it if you really want it....don't let them change your mind. Good luck.

Most important advice youll get from anyone. Remember, you will be stuck doing something shitty possibly for a few years if you dont wait and get what you want.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
Hold out and say you're going to go ask the other branches. they'll find the job you want. And Aviation is more fun than you'd think. I was ALWAYS going to airshows and stuff for the weekend. There's nothing like partying on the gov't's money in a new city for the weekend!

THE_STIG

Established Member
Hold out and say you're going to go ask the other branches. they'll find the job you want. And Aviation is more fun than you'd think. I was ALWAYS going to airshows and stuff for the weekend. There's nothing like partying on the gov't's money in a new city for the weekend!

Recruiters are the one place where a bluff about walking away really works.

Eagle24

bad mamba jamba
Established Member
Infantry is the only job for me. Any combat MOS FTW!

Like the saying goes "There are people who serve their country" and "People who FIGHT for thier country."

GT500EA

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
army? you're going to be a grunt either way. everybody in the army is a soldier and fights. even cooks.

Wow....either you're just some uneducated kid...which shouldn't be talking on here anyways...or you're one of those cooks or paper pushers that likes to tell your family about how much action you've seen during your deployments...but yet the most action you've ever seen is in the chow hall.

Last edited:

saleensc281

Established Member
If you are into computers, guns, things that move and being outside then consider being a tanker. They deal with all of the above. Other than that in all honesty Combat Engineer is another good choice to fill a bunch of those.

If you are extremely adamant about avmec then hold out for it. Ultimately it's up to you, not your recruiter.

Im a tanker and have not been on a tank...and have not done REAL tank stuff since OIF started. The Army heavy armor doctrine has changed so much from what it used to be, due to the Iraqi War.

I would try and stick with your aviation choice, sure it may become redundant...but you will def be better off when you get out of the military. My buddy was a Apache Mechanic and after deciding that Army life was not for him, got out and went right into a civilian contract job making I believe $18.00 an hour. Its a good field if you stick with it man IMO.

Wow....either you're just some uneducated kid...which shouldn't be talking on here anyways...or you're one of those cooks or paper pushers that likes to tell your family about how much action you've seen during your deployments...but yet the most action you've ever seen is in the chow hall.

You would be surprised on what some suppport MOS's do in a combat envorinment. Sure most of the fighting is left up to combat arms, but Ive seen support MOS's carry the combat arms torch just as well. Also don't forget everyone is trained first and foremost to be a Soldier. On a side note..some support..and combat arm Soldiers tend to take there war time accomplishments a bit overboard.

Last edited:

LDC2335

Established Member
so my question is, what would be some other good jobs in the marines?

NONE!, lol cross into the blue, especially if you want to work on planes. if you like working on planes in the desert for years at a time then Marines is for you.

but really, fight for what you want, don't let recruiters push you around.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Think of a job that is marketable after your military time is up. I did my twenty years in Civil Engineering, Mobile COMM and Red Horse which gave me the skills to transfer into the civilian sector. Am not knocking any career field but think of the future unless you really want to do a specific job

svtcobrar2004

Established Member

wrong, tough guy.

Users who are viewing this thread