Job Offer in Baltimore

ff500

Established Member
I was offered a job in Baltimore and my wife and I are considering it, but to be honest with you I don't know much about Baltimore other than there's a lot of crime and the taxes are high. I don't think it can be that much worse than Boston though. My wife is excited about it because she'd be near her parents in Leesburg Va and she is now looking into a transfer possibilty with her company.
Anyways what are the pros and cons of the Baltimore area, do you think its worth moving my family down there? my daughter just turned 6. What areas or suburbs would be the best place to look into housing? I know traffic can be bad but I'm somewhat used to it with the Boston traffic, so a little bit of a commute wouldn't bother me.

Flash2211

Established Member
Just moved here 3 months ago...and let me tell u...Traffic is WORSE than anywhere else...lol
There r good and bad neighborhoods, like everywhere, lots of new developments goin up...may be ur better bet. I live in Hanover...nice area close to FT. Meade and airport...about 15 miles from Bmore and 20 something from DC. kinda in the middle of both....but again...lots of people means...lotsa traffic.lol

cobra1923

Established Member
I moved here from Cleveland in 2002, it's actually a really nice area with a nice variety of landscapes and as was said earlier - there are some sketchy spots but you just stay out of them. I am in Baltimore County on the north side between the city and the PA line. Very nice, winding country roads and I have a couple acres for the little ones. The traffic really depends on where you and your wife's work will be and how close you are. The east and west side of 695 can get jammed up a little so it's always nice if you don't have to be on the 695 beltway (that applies to the 495 DC beltway also). Anything going into town is jammed up but that's to be expected. Taxes in the city are a bit high but not quite as bad in Baltimore County. What area is the job offer, that will help narrow down your choices. I am up in Sparks / Hunt Valley area.

65SC

Established Member
The job would be in Baltimore, Pratt St I believe.

that is down town Baltimore. i'm in howard county, nice area, schools are great, taxes are high. if I moved with in the state it would be north Baltimore county or Carroll county, if you need help looking for a place to rent or buy pm me, the wife is a realestate agent.

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
Just moved here 3 months ago...and let me tell u...Traffic is WORSE than anywhere else...lol
There r good and bad neighborhoods, like everywhere, lots of new developments goin up...may be ur better bet. I live in Hanover...nice area close to FT. Meade and airport...about 15 miles from Bmore and 20 something from DC. kinda in the middle of both....but again...lots of people means...lotsa traffic.lol

The Traffic would keep me away from that place. I drove through on my way to up state NY and about lost my mind it was 8-9 PM and you would of thought it was rush hour going 25-35 on the highway F that keep it. But hey that's just me good luck.

cobra1923

Established Member
Drove from Sparks to W Pratt St 8A-5P every day for 2 years. Took an hour each way in traffic - 1/2 hour normally. It's not too bad

ff500

Established Member
I work right in the City of Boston right now, you just have to know the best times to come and go.Supposedly they are working on an offer now and I should recieve it by tomorrow.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Working in the city is a great experience if you like the hustle and bustle, you can find some really nice areas within a 20 -40 minute dirve that are safe and great to raise children. Just depends on schools and taxes for you since you have children. Good luck with your new job if you accept the offer. Plus another benefit is the lightrail if you do not want to pay garage fees everyday.

AA County has some really super spots as does Howard County and they are relatively close to the city. Most prefer Howard because of the school systems being so good.

Last edited:

ff500

Established Member
I'm going to be flying into Baltimore on the 9th and staying through the 13th, my wife will be flying in on the 11th and we figured we'd drive through some neighborhoods and check things out.

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
It's a nice area and I think it is similar to Boston as in near water, sports teams and stuff to do. Sounds like most here have told you where to look to buy. My guess is it will be cheaper to live than Boston and traffic can not be any worse than Boston. I traveled there several times..and traffice is WAY worse...especially with the BIG DIG that is never ending!!! LOL!

Welcome..and if you do move here...Look up us in the MACA crowd for events and stuff to do!!

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Taxes are not that bad. As far as Baltimore goes I worked off Pratt for 3 years and my wife works off Pratt for 5 years + The best commute into Baltimore is from South on 95. We live 25 miles south of the City, strait shot up 95 to 395 and the commute only takes 30 - 35 minutes. If your going in at 7:00 in the morning there is no traffic at all from this direction. At 8:30 you will hit about 10 - 15 minute delay but not bad at all considering.

North,West, and East from the City is a terrible commute. I'd recommend Western Howard County if you can swing it, about 10 miles West of Columbia has some of the best schools in MD by far. Hard to believe Taxes would be anywhere close to as bad as they are up there. I'm living in a 2,600SQFT home on 1/4 acre and our taxes are $3,600 annually. This may seem alot to some but being a NJ native I can tell you it would cost me 12K up there. Ellicot City, MD is also a great place to check out with good schools and a easy commute into Baltimore. Ellicot City is located in the North East part of Howard County and a beautiful place to live. Funny enough it kind of reminds me of Dedham.

Feel free to PM me if you need any additional info. As an FYI - Pratt street is an awesome place to work as you are right on the Inner Harbor. If I were not going away this weekend I would offer you a place to stay. I can also hook you up with a great Realtor if your interested.

ff500

Established Member
I had to put off my visit until the 11th, my wife is traveling to NYC for a conference.

N2DAMYSTIC,
Elliott city was at the top of our list, you know the Dedham area? We pay $7800 a year in taxes in Dedham so $3600 would be awesome, I would be able to buy another Cobra with the savings.
Thanks for all the info, its definately helping with our decision.

TGS2

Dr.Gonzo
Established Member
My wife works in the city. The city it's self kinda sucks, but their are nice places to live within 25-45 minutes from downtown. I too have a little one and I commute from Carroll County because of the school district.

As long as you live in Carroll county the school district is awesome. Howard county isn't bad, I grew up there, the Towson area is the only okay district for baltimore county schools.

Check out the Ellicott City area, personally it's my fav. If I had the $$$ I'd live there.

Ellicott City, MD Attractions, Restaurants, Business, Shops, Community, Tourism, coupons, local events & things to do.

Yes taxes here suck, but if I recall MA taxes are also heavy.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I had to put off my visit until the 11th, my wife is traveling to NYC for a conference.

N2DAMYSTIC,
Elliott city was at the top of our list, you know the Dedham area? We pay $7800 a year in taxes in Dedham so $3600 would be awesome, I would be able to buy another Cobra with the savings.
Thanks for all the info, its definately helping with our decision.

Been a while since I have been up there but had a few friends that went to a small school up there called Mt. Ida. Also, my sister currently lives in Dedham. Supposed to go up there on the 26th but had to cancel.

Dont quote me on the tax rate since I do not know what you are looking at purchasing but keep in mind that you have 60 day's from the date of purchase to file an appeal on your assessed value in the state of MD. Also you can apply for the Homestead Tax rebate as well and that ended up being about $1,500 for us.

Good luck and let me know if you need any additional help.

Tim

brianz426

Established Member
I live in Baldwin, 21013. My neighbors drive downtown everyday. They're used to it and they don't think it's that bad. The schools are great around here (3 kids ages 5,7,9) we would want to live any where else. Good luck in your search.

2000gator

Established Member
I live in Baldwin too and its very nice. Anything north or west of 695 is a nice place to live. Driving to Baltimore is no problem coming from some areas because not as many people live there.

Users who are viewing this thread