Job Market

tmaschm

Established Member
Hey all I made a post a couple weeks ago about how bad the job market was. It doesn't look like it has gotten much better. Its like a catch-22 you need experience to get a job, but you have to have a job to get experience. Anyways I'll get straight to the point. If anyone has any connections that would help out an entry level mechanical engineer then I would be much appreciative. I am most interested in Aerospace and Defense, Oil and Gas, Wind Energy, Power plants, but am looking for just about anything. If you know somebody high up that I could send a resume to or call just PM me the info. Thanks for the help in advance everyone.

Sincerely,
Thomas "Trip" Maschmeyer

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
Go to Monster.com and type "Huntsville, AL." into the location. If you can't get an engineering job in this town...there are none.

tmaschm

Established Member
Well monster.com has several job postings, but they are mostly employment agencies (i.e. companies who are trying to get talented workers for cheap for other companies).

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Hey all I made a post a couple weeks ago about how bad the job market was. It doesn't look like it has gotten much better. Its like a catch-22 you need experience to get a job, but you have to have a job to get experience. Anyways I'll get straight to the point. If anyone has any connections that would help out an entry level mechanical engineer then I would be much appreciative. I am most interested in Aerospace and Defense, Oil and Gas, Wind Energy, Power plants, but am looking for just about anything. If you know somebody high up that I could send a resume to or call just PM me the info. Thanks for the help in advance everyone.

Sincerely,
Thomas "Trip" Maschmeyer

All those industries are big in Texas.

LOLasaurus

Established Member
Im in the same boat, graduated in mech engineering this past december. Luckily I was able to get a job as a CNC programmer at a local machine shop but since oil tool companies are cutting back like crazy the shop is about to go under.

It does suck that all the jobs that are open want 3+ years of experience. But since the job market is flooded with experienced people they can get away with that to some degree.

It won't be long until they start accepting mechEs with little or no experience. Around here the same jobs have been posted for the past 2 months. If they want these jobs filled any time soon they will HAVE to accept the fact that they will need to train new people.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Do you know anything about wireless? Not even sales but the backend.

Our industry is booming and we are hiring for a lot of positions for AT&T.

LOLasaurus

Established Member
I guess my situation is better than others, some of the people I graduated with accepted jobs across the country only to work for a month and be laid off. Now they are stuck living away from everyone they know that could possibly hook them up with a job.

GodStang

Established Member
any mechanical engineering openings???? :beer:

Should be alot. Its for the Savannah River Site. A good number will be Engineering and things like that and the rest will be Construction workers. Also Plant Vogal is getting ready to build two new Nuclear reactors and the will be hiring 3000 people.

homer302

Banned

Sincerely,
Thomas "Trip" Maschmeyer

Not trying to belittle your situation but this has been the case since the beginning of time and is not related to the economy whatsoever. We all went through that. All jobs want experience and without a job, no experience. This is nothing new.
Networking with others is the key. Surely you met someone in the field over your years in school. Have lunch with him and those he works with etc. You don't have to know someone to get hired but it SURE helps. Never burn a bridge either. No matter what, stay in touch with anyone in the industry even if you can't stand them. You NEVER know who you might need down the road.

Good luck in your search.

tmaschm

Established Member
Do you know anything about wireless? Not even sales but the backend.

Our industry is booming and we are hiring for a lot of positions for AT&T.

I know a little, but I am a ME so not enough to get a job really.

Im in the same boat, graduated in mech engineering this past december. Luckily I was able to get a job as a CNC programmer at a local machine shop but since oil tool companies are cutting back like crazy the shop is about to go under.

It does suck that all the jobs that are open want 3+ years of experience. But since the job market is flooded with experienced people they can get away with that to some degree.

It won't be long until they start accepting mechEs with little or no experience. Around here the same jobs have been posted for the past 2 months. If they want these jobs filled any time soon they will HAVE to accept the fact that they will need to train new people.

I hope you are right man.

All those industries are big in Texas.

I'm hitting up a lot of companies in Texas. The oil industry isn't doing as well as it was though so that doesn't help matters.

Should be alot. Its for the Savannah River Site. A good number will be Engineering and things like that and the rest will be Construction workers. Also Plant Vogal is getting ready to build two new Nuclear reactors and the will be hiring 3000 people.

Hook me up man! You got the numbers of anybody I could contact or anything.

Not trying to belittle your situation but this has been the case since the beginning of time and is not related to the economy whatsoever. We all went through that. All jobs want experience and without a job, no experience. This is nothing new.
Networking with others is the key. Surely you met someone in the field over your years in school. Have lunch with him and those he works with etc. You don't have to know someone to get hired but it SURE helps. Never burn a bridge either. No matter what, stay in touch with anyone in the industry even if you can't stand them. You NEVER know who you might need down the road.

I know I know...its not about what you know its about who you know. I have TONS of contacts though. Everyone I talk to gives me the same "Blah blah blah...we don't have anything right now, but I might know some who does...call so and so and talk to him." So I call this person and we repeat above conversation.:shrug:

Anyways thanks for the help, and if you know anybody that could help me out then PM me.

LOLasaurus

Established Member

Gotta disagree with you there, in the south oil is the big buisness. With gas being fairly cheap and the economy going down the crapper the oil companies that would normally snag up all the graduating engineers are actually laying people off.

Now the engineering market is flooded not only by recent college grads but with experienced engineers aswell.

On top of that many companies want extremely specific experience. If you've been designing HVAC systems for the past 4 years youre gonna have a tough time getting a job as a directional drilling, manufacturering, or subsea engineer.From what ive seen its fairly hard to switch between fields in engineering

tmaschm

Established Member
gotta disagree with you there, in the south oil is the big buisness. With gas being fairly cheap and the economy going down the crapper the oil companies that would normally snag up all the graduating engineers are actually laying people off.

Now the engineering market is flooded not only by recent college grads but with experienced engineers aswell.

On top of that many companies want extremely specific experience. If you've been designing hvac systems for the past 4 years youre gonna have a tough time getting a job as a directional drilling, manufacturering, or subsea engineer.from what ive seen its fairly hard to switch between fields in engineering

+10000000000

homer302

Banned
Gotta disagree with you there, in the south oil is the big buisness. With gas being fairly cheap and the economy going down the crapper the oil companies that would normally snag up all the graduating engineers are actually laying people off.

On top of that many companies want extremely specific experience. If you've been designing HVAC systems for the past 4 years youre gonna have a tough time getting a job as a directional drilling, manufacturering, or subsea engineer.From what ive seen its fairly hard to switch between fields in engineering

You lost me there a little bit. Where exactly did you disagree with me? Your post sounds identical to what I said. And I live in the south also and oil is far removed from the big business here.
And the oil industry had the largest profit of any company anywhere in the world ever in any industry in the 4th quarter last year so now I am way lost.

Last edited:

LOLasaurus

Established Member
You lost me there a little bit. Where exactly did you disagree with me? Your post sounds identical to what I said. And I live in the south also and oil is far removed from the big business here.
And the oil industry had the largest profit of any company anywhere in the world ever in any industry in the 4th quarter last year so now I am way lost.

The part about this having nothing to do with the economy.

Yes the oil companies turned a huge profit, but to keep things profitable they are taking drastic measures. Just last week our local Baker Hughes office laid off 48 people (Out of about 400 employees), and baker offers the best job security! other oil companies are doing the same. Needless to say they have all quit hiring around here, that is unless you have 20+ years of experience.

I can tell you first hand just how much they are cutting back. I work at a machine shop where we make various oil tools. Parts that they used to order 5000 at a time are now being ordered in the 300-400 range.

Even right now there are oil rigs in the gulf that are completely empty, not a soul on them.

Last edited:

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
Have you tried Sikorsky? The have a facility in Huntsville and are always looking for engineers.

We have Lockheed, Northrup Grumman, Raytheon, Boeing, NASA, Marshall Space Flight Center, RedStone Arsenal and the Army Missle Command facilities here too. This place is engineer central

mellor_21

Established Member
i worked in seismic and all of the work from december 5th till sometime in april (hopefully) was cancelled

Users who are viewing this thread