Job Help. What would you do?

Spyderbell

No Time for Gas
Established Member
Thanks for checking this out I really don't know who else to ask as everyone in my life says something different on both sides.

Let's start by saying I like where I work but with a half hour drive and long hours (6 days a week) kinda sucks. Fun job but the pay isn't really there. Two days a week I don't get to see my daughter because she's asleep before I get home and I'm kind of afraid when she's older I'll miss a lot of things she's doing

Now the problem is I have an offer for $20k more a year about 5 mins from my house with better hours but I'll be a manager and of course it won't be as much fun as playing with motorcycles all day. I had a hard time at my last dealership job I was at for 8 years and my wife says I'm a whole new person now that I don't want to wreck my truck on the way in instead of having to work that day.

I don't want to get into too much detail but maybe a few ideas would help

Thanks in advance fellas!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
money isn't everything. I continue to work a lesser paying job because I enjoy it and it pays me what I need to live on plus some for toys and stuff. But 20K a year is nothing to sneeze at.

this place is not going to be any different than the rest of the people "in your life" everyone has their own opinion as to what you should do. you need to discuss with your wife and do what is best for your family not what other people think you should do. if enjoying your job and being happier at home is what your family needs then stay where you are.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
This is a decision you need to make for yourself.

Pros and cons.

TaraFirma

Established Member
More money with better hours and more time to spend with your kids? This is a no brainer! The family is your #1 priority and how you can be a better Father/Husband should be the first thing you consider. It may not be as fun as your current position, but you know what the right, resposible, and adult thing to do is.
If the new position is something that you would HATE doing, then you shouldn't take it.
Ultimately though, this is what being a MAN is all about. Hard decisions that effect you and your family.

Spyderbell

No Time for Gas
Established Member
More money with better hours and more time to spend with your kids? This is a no brainer! The family is your #1 priority and how you can be a better Father/Husband should be the first thing you consider. It may not be as fun as your current position, but you know what the right, resposible, and adult thing to do is.
If the new position is something that you would HATE doing, then you shouldn't take it.
Ultimately though, this is what being a MAN is all about. Hard decisions that effect you and your family.

That's what I'm thinking. But don't want to turn into the guy I was. I just don't know

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
That's what I'm thinking. But don't want to turn into the guy I was. I just don't know

Then don't. You have control over how you act and feel and who you are. When work gets me upset my wife always says "Its a bad day not a bad life." That alone is enough to make me realize that while some days may suck, life is great. Just keep a positive mental attitude and you will be fine.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Then don't. You have control over how you act and feel and who you are. When work gets me upset my wife always says "Its a bad day not a bad life." That alone is enough to make me realize that while some days may suck, life is great. Just keep a positive mental attitude and you will be fine.

Unfortunately some people cannot rationalize things the same way others can.
I have a friend who is a lead mechanic at a Ford dealership. He's been there for over 20 years now.
From Sunday afternoon he's already thinking that he has to go back to work the next morning.
When you ask him specifically what he hates about his job he can't pinpoint anything in particular.
He has another 20 years to go before retirement. I hope he can make it.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
What is the advantage of taking a job that has great hours and great pay if you Hate it?

If your stressed out and angry all the time because of a job you Hate, who cares if your salary doubles, it is not worth it.

You may have less to spend and less time with your family, but you can budget your money and the time you do get to spend with your family is quality time.

Being a stressed out angry Husband and Father is not going to improve your situation, no matter how much money you put in the Bank.

Just my opinion, good luck.

Last edited:

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
Unfortunately some people cannot rationalize things the same way others can.
I have a friend who is a lead mechanic at a Ford dealership. He's been there for over 20 years now.
From Sunday afternoon he's already thinking that he has to go back to work the next morning.
When you ask him specifically what he hates about his job he can't pinpoint anything in particular.
He has another 20 years to go before retirement. I hope he can make it.

I realize I live in a area where lead mechanics can make close to 100+ thousand a year but your guy has another 20 plus years of work left on top of the 20 he's already put in?! . He's either got a lot of kids or debt (or both) or he's doing something wrong.

OP if it were me I would take the job so I could spend more time with my family and make more money to boot!

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Were you a manager at your last dealership job? Think about what the problem was there and ask yourself if that can be a problem at the new job. Maybe find a way to talk to some of the people in the shop at the new place and see how they feel.
I worked a ton of hours and got to disliking my last job so badly it affected me at the house. I stayed at a level of anger that wasn't good. I took it with me every where I went. $20k isn't worth that. My wife says I'm a totally different person now. Before I usually worked sun up to sun down and missed a ton of my sons life. Now I get to go to all his events, coach him in baseball, and be there for him when he needs me. $20k isn't worth that either.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member

This.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member

This. OP, what's more important, loving your job or reading your little girl a bedtime story before she's too old to want you to read her stories, anymore? You're worried about missing out on her life in the future, buddy, you're missing out _right now_. She will only be Daddy's little girl for a very short time in her life, and this is it. My .02 cents worth: new job.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I realize I live in a area where lead mechanics can make close to 100+ thousand a year but your guy has another 20 plus years of work left on top of the 20 he's already put in?! . He's either got a lot of kids or debt (or both) or he's doing something wrong.

OP if it were me I would take the job so I could spend more time with my family and make more money to boot!
He started at 24 years old and he's now 47.
He can take his pension any time after 55 but unfortunately he's recently divorced and the ex wife gets half of his pension for the 20 years they were together.
He's very good with his money and his kids aren't missing anything.
He's very good at his job but in my opinion he simply looks at work in general as a necessary evil.
I think no matter what job he has he will look at it the same way.

Last edited:

Spyderbell

No Time for Gas
Established Member
Thanks again guys but the new job ended up not working out. Once it got high enough they said they didn't want my brother working for me. Maybe next time!

truefiveo

Established Member
money isn't everything. I continue to work a lesser paying job because I enjoy it and it pays me what I need to live on plus some for toys and stuff. But 20K a year is nothing to sneeze at.

this place is not going to be any different than the rest of the people "in your life" everyone has their own opinion as to what you should do. you need to discuss with your wife and do what is best for your family not what other people think you should do. if enjoying your job and being happier at home is what your family needs then stay where you are.

I would listen to this guy!:beer:

SirShaun

Established Member
Take the money and run. If you find yourself turning into the old you, then use it as a stepping stone to get a better paying job doing what you love. Stay hungry, never get comfortable, and keep it moving.

TheSinner

Established Member
I'd say if your household is happy and taken care of and you don't NEED the additional income, forget it. Your happiness and well being is certainly more important. But....

Much like your situation, I did end up quitting a perfectly good job for a better paying position with advancement opportunity. I didn't think twice about it and I certainly don't regret it. If an even better opportunity would arise I would probably risk it again. Then again, I can find diamonds in any rough that's thrown at me.

Stepping stones are good for those striving to make the most, but making the most may or may not be the best decision for the future of you and your family.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Thanks for checking this out I really don't know who else to ask as everyone in my life says something different on both sides.

Let's start by saying I like where I work but with a half hour drive and long hours (6 days a week) kinda sucks. Fun job but the pay isn't really there. Two days a week I don't get to see my daughter because she's asleep before I get home and I'm kind of afraid when she's older I'll miss a lot of things she's doing

Now the problem is I have an offer for $20k more a year about 5 mins from my house with better hours but I'll be a manager and of course it won't be as much fun as playing with motorcycles all day. I had a hard time at my last dealership job I was at for 8 years and my wife says I'm a whole new person now that I don't want to wreck my truck on the way in instead of having to work that day.

I don't want to get into too much detail but maybe a few ideas would help

Thanks in advance fellas!

Hah cant count how many times I wanted to drive off the cliff or into a tree to avoid going to work in the past.

Gotta do whats best for you and your fam. If doing the harder, less fun job means more time with them then it might pay off without even including the added income. And cmon man, unless you make $140k/yr then $20k is a huge benefit.

"They say money cant buy happiness but it can buy Jet Skis, and have you ever seen anyone unhappy on a Jet Ski?" - Daniel Tosh.

Coiled03

Established Member
Hmm....better pay, AND more time with your family. I don't see a downside, here.

Granted, you mentioned it might not be as much fun. But tell me, will you be thinking about that when you're with your kids? I quite literally hate the job I work right now. But the second I see my daughter running towards me, I'm not thinking anything about, and I can't help but smile.

Users who are viewing this thread