JLT's CC/OS improvement?

440sprint

Established Member
I went for the clean install & good looks of the JLT CC/OS about 150 mi. ago. I was checking out a new mechanic today by going over some concerns with my '13GT500 & he seemed interested in my JLT catch can. I had not pulled it off yet & it came off easily.
I unscrewed the can & was SHOCKED to see 1/2 teaspoon of oil there! The mechanic pointed out the oil DRIPPING out of the end that connects to the SC! I must say, WTF!
He looked it over & cleaned it out, saying the can needed more "catch" media & suggested something that he uses for many jobs around his shop - Scotch-Brite green scrubber layers inside the can. Wife & I use green scrubbers ALL THE TIME for cleaning & they seem to have no wear-out sluff-off material & are very filter like at about 1/4 in thick sheets.
At home I pulled out my large back stock of green scrubber material, grabbed my 1 1/2 inch socket to use as a template & cut out 4 circles using a SHARP blade. I thoroughly washed the circles & they fit perfectly stacked in my JLT can. I re-assembled the CC/OS & re-installed it on my Shelby's amazing engine!
I have concerns before operating engine. Will Scotch-Brite green scrubbers stand up to the temp & oil/chemicals in the can, possibly plugging up the can's original steel mesh? Will the crankcase PVC output be impeded too much with the extra filter media in the can? I probably will not drive with the circles installed until I am comfortable with these concerns.
I feel that adding a 5th circle would tighten the stack of new media in the can & may filter better if my above concerns are resolved & NO OIL DRIPS OUT OF THE SC END WHEN I LOOK THE NEXT TIME AFTER ANOTHER 150 mi.!!
Any serious opinions out there, PLEASE! This & tires are my two presently unresolved issues! Thanks!

gkviper192

Established Member
i cant comment on your concerns about using scotch brite but i can say that bob's oil seperators seem to catch more oil than the JLT unit according to many people. You can buy them from Van @ revanracing, he is a vendor on here.

440sprint

Established Member
i cant comment on your concerns about using scotch brite but i can say that bob's oil seperators seem to catch more oil than the JLT unit according to many people. You can buy them from Van @ revanracing, he is a vendor on here.

Thanks, but I don't like the shock tower install w/large black hoses draped across to the engine. If I cannot improve the JLT, I will change to ??.

Tucker

It is normal for fine vapors to get through a separator. It's design is to grab the majority and the large vapor droplets and hold them in the can.
I do not know about the material you are now using, but I would keep an eye on it to see if it breaks down.

We use a metal mesh filter designed by Ford for this type of application.

cbrmuscle

Established Member
I would be very concerned that the Scotch-Brite material would break down and get sucked through your motor... Do you really want to risk that?

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
I would be very concerned that the Scotch-Brite material would break down and get sucked through your motor... Do you really want to risk that?

+1. No way I take that chance with my engine. I am all about having the best cleanest oil. No way would I risk contaminating it, when there is a solution already available to catch 99.9% of the oil going to the intake.

Users who are viewing this thread