JLT's 2013 hood vent water fix

Tucker

2013 GT owners, no more worries about water on your filter.

At JLT we purchased a 2013 GT shop car back in March and use it for testing. After many miles, driving in the rain and car washes we have not seen any adverse affects to the vents letting water in, we understand the customers concern.

Instead of jumping in and redesigning our heat shields we thought it from every angle. We have 2 kits for the 2011+ 5.0, one for the N/A (non supercharged) and one for the supercharged cars. This means two new shields specific to the 2013, two more part numbers and higher prices for the 2013 kits.

We don't want to raise the price and what if you go from a 2011 to a 2013 like many have done? Now you have to purchase a new kit and with 2013 specific kits it's a headache for dealers as they need to stock more and make sure the customer gets the correct kit.

So how do we stop the water from getting to the filter, but still allow engine heat to escape?
Stop it at the hood!
With the aid of a computerized water jet, we cut closed cell foam rubber slightly larger that the exact shape of the cut out in the hood insulator.
This material is good from -40* to 200*F, is resistant to water, light oil contact, ozone, alkalis and acids, making them a good choice for general enclosure door gaskets.

When inserted in the hood liner the foam plug expands creating a water tight seal just over the area of the cold air intake filter. When the rain water comes in it drains out the rear of the vent outside of the heat shield area, keeping the filter perfectly dry. Also being black it blends in nicely and will not look like an add on part.

This is our answer to the 2013's letting water get on the filter and we hope it will put your mind at ease too.

As of 11/19/12 all JLT intakes for the 2011 GT including N/A and Supercharged will include this at no added charge.
We are supplying 2013 JLT intake owners this part FREE of charge as well.
To get yours send us a copy of your invoice (if purchased from a JLT dealer) or give us a call if you purchased direct and we'll get one right out.
Email [email protected] or call 757 335 1940

Not a JLT customer, but want the added protection, no problem. You can order this part online here: JLT Hood Insert plug

Here's a video showing you how it works:
2013 Mustang hood vent water blocker - YouTube

Last edited:

Dave_6

Established Member
Cool, I have been wondering about this. I noticed on mine that the water drips in right on top of the airbox where the filter would be on a CAI.

I'm not too crazy about these vents as I've noticed after a hard rain that quite a bit of water comes in. The top of my ECM (and the relay/fuse box) was covered in it last time it rained. Hope that thing is water tight but I imagine Ford tested it before putting these vents on the '13s.

Last edited:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Nice piece, to bad I cut my agine cover to fully expose my vents. Cools so much better now though. I also dont plan to use an open element filter.

Tucker

The question about water sitting was brought up in another forum, so I'll respond here too.

Nothing to be concerned with, we knew people would ask this too.

The area is very small, only a couple ounces of water can puddle here. Now think about this, the hood insulator is pretty flat with a slight angle forward.
When you drive with an open drink, what happens to the liquid in the cup?
As you move forward it wants to come out the back, as you stop it wants to come out the front, turn left, turn tight and so on.

Simple driving will push the water out of the little pocket it's sitting in or just lift the hood.
Wash your car? Lift the hood
Drive home in a heavy rain, I don't think anything will be in there, but Lift your hood.

Drive more aggressive than a grandma and I you'll be just fine.

Thanks
Jay

Tucker

No,
"This material is good from -40* to 200*F, is resistant to water, light oil contact, ozone, alkalis and acids, making them a good choice for general enclosure door gaskets. "

Nuar

Established Member
Finally!! I've been waiting for someone to come up with a simple block off plate for the first few fins of the hood vent for a while now.
Good thinking man! Order placed. I can finally consider a CAI! :D
Thanks!

Ps. Thanks for not charging like $40 for the piece like lots of companies would!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread