JLT worth losing strut tower brace?

bumsoil

Established Member
I decided to keep my ST brace. take it off for a week and put it back on. you will end up keeping it,

GRUSE

Established Member
You already own the st brace?Save you money for a worthwhile mod,Cai's & rai's on a NA engine,look nice but add little to zero hp and some actually loose hp.

bumsoil

Established Member
I went with the K&N FIPK. the brackets keep coming off the car............... locktight, locking washers, locking nuts, sheet metal screws and more washers in various combinations do not fix it....... keep the stock air box.

mustang3X

Established Member
I would think that the jlt intake that goes down into the fender has to be worth some power?

Why? engines can only use so much air, reaching a little further into the fender doesn't change anything.

On stock and mildly modded motors cold air intakes don't do anything but look cool. While you won't notice a missing stb during street driving you also aren't gaining any power with the cai.

wmfateam

Established Member
Pretty sure the 98's did not come with them. If it truly had an effect on handling, why would they not put one on? I road race without one and have tried with it on. I'd rather lose weight from the front and that high up.

LDC2335

Established Member
Pretty sure the 98's did not come with them. If it truly had an effect on handling, why would they not put one on? I road race without one and have tried with it on. I'd rather lose weight from the front and that high up.

I think the firewall was redesigned in 97 0r 98 making it more rigid and thus no longer needed the brace.

I'd keep the brace and find a used C&L or BBK intake if you want the looks, just the cone if you want the power. I had the BBK, it looked very nice. Now I have a vortech ;)

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ich-is-the-best-CAI-for-the-96-98-cobra-s-JLT

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?621449-cold-air-intake-front-stablizer-bar

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?633042-JLT-or-Strut-Bar

and MANY more

notsogreen

Established Member
I added a JLT cold air intake, and used a heat gun to soften up the plastic a bit to re-install my strut tower brace and it worked out great.

photo1jlt_zps6c1a473b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo2jlt_zps94e11622.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

mustang3X

Established Member
I think the firewall was redesigned in 97 0r 98 making it more rigid and thus no longer needed the brace.

Cost, cost, and cost. There was no work done to the unit body of the car. It costs hundreds of thousands, if not millions to change BIW parts, especially in the cowl/firewall area.

Ford deemed the structure sound enough without the STB that removing it didn't hurt the car but it saved them a lot of money.

The ragtops still got the k-member brace so they called it a day.

Anyone who builds a race car out of the SN95 isn't likely to use the factory STB and you'll never notice it missing on a street driven car.

Last edited:

Cowtown

Established Member
Personally I'll just be going with the C&L and retaining the strut bar. I like the looks (of both). I already have a K&N cone so I don't expect any real jump HP wise but I like the looks and hopefully easier to work with when wrenching on the car.

Attaus

Established Member
Had to ditch mine to get a CAI for the KB. I have a Vert so I noticed a little, but not huge difference. Between the two on an NA car I'd keep the strut tower brace to be honest. A CAI by itself is not worth the cost IMO, given the factory intake is a pretty solid design. I'd only look into it if you are building a show car, adding a blower, or have some bigger cams.

notsogreen

Established Member
filter is inside, the tubes are the same size though, so heating up, and slowly working stb down to bolt it works. I've seen it done with both tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread