JLT VS Densecharger Dyno Results

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
These tests were performed back to back, on the same day, same dyno (Dynojet 248C) and are SAE adjusted.

Best numbers with the Densecharger with much tuning was 325.2 rwhp & 321.8 rwtq.

Swapped in the JLT CAI and new best numbers were 331.6 and 324.7

That's a solid increase of 6.4 hp & 2.9 tq. However, if you can see what's going on with the A/F you'll notice that it was still running quite lean on the last pull with the JLT. The system was flowing considerably more air which required adding alot more fuel. Unfortunately the shop was closing and I wasnt able to dial the JLT in better. I am confident there was another 5 ft lb tq. Maybe a couple hp.

More to come.

14.JPG

12.JPG

Thanks RioRed4v for hosting the pics:thumbsup:

Todd

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
I am guessing I need to sel my BBK CAI and by the JLT. I want 300 hp real bad and with my mods in my sig I do not think I am there.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Thanks everybody. Heres some more info for those who are looking at the A/F ratios:

I know many people make the best numbers at or above 13:1 but my combination makes the most power with the A/F under 13:1. My A/F sensor is welded in very close to the collector so it is going to read a little lower than the typical "sniffer" type that is put in the exhaust tip. Three to five tenths, I've been told.

Torque really takes a hit from anything over 12.8:1 in my combination. Look where I'm at with the JLT on A/F when the the tq curve peaks, it's quite high. As far as hp goes, my car peaks at 55-5600 rpm (governed by the intake). The A/F at this point with the Densecharger is in the low 12's which leaves very little room for improvement with my combination. The previous run with the Densecharger was between 12.8 & 13:1, but it only netted 323.3 hp. When the tq was peaking on that run (typically around 4500) my A/F was around 13:1 which resulted in 316.3 ft lb tq.

Above 6100 I am losing a couple ponies with the Dense' because it is getting a little rich even for my combo, but that's long past where my car peaks hp. I used the best numbers I could squeeze out of the Densecharger. I made a total of six runs getting it dialed in.

In the best run with the JLT it was running a little over 13:1, which definately leaves room for improvement in my combo.

Todd

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
oh btw...... on the densecharger. did you try the 1 bend in the fenderwell filter ?? wondering whats the best for this CAI. herd less bends.better ?

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
The Densecharger used just one bend. That's supposed to be the best position and worked very well for me.

Cobra4pt6

Banned
whats the difference between the JLT and densecharger? they look like the same thing to me. maybe JLT uses a larger filter than densecharger to get more power

Tucker

The DC is a bunch of 4" pvc elbows and sections held together with a screw.
The JLT is a full lengh,1 peice intake with the MAF on the end, where it belongs.

Thanks for doing the test "tmhutch" Now I wish 5.0 would do a shoot out again.

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
how much for the kit ?? im switching over right away =]. does it come with the MAF ?? , thats badass how the MAF is right there next to the AIR FILTER. readings are better.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I would be very interested to see how much power drops with the JLT when the A/F is brought back down to safer levels. I suspect it will be closer to what the densecharger made with the same a/F ratio. I don't have a problem with leaning up a bit to make more power, but that looks like 13.2 for the JLT, and 12.2 for the Densecharger. I have seen increases in power greater than what you are showing by taking the A/f a point higher on the lean side. 13.2 is just to high for my blood. I would be very interested to see what the power is whe the A/F is at a safer level, or at the same level as the 12.2 that the dense charger made. I do take into consideration that this does prove that the JLT is capable of flowing much more air, and for people that have the ability to tune this may be the way to go, but it is just to scary for me to use as a bolt on and go.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Thanks everyone.

As stated earlier, the JLT has more power left in it with a richer mixture. The Densecharger run represents the best of six runs with a/f both richer and leaner. It doesnt get any better on my combo.

For those who have had a dyno tune and are running at the proper a/f mixture, you will need to tune again. The JLT leaned my a/f ratio between 3/4 and a full point. If your running a stock tune this would work very well for you.

Todd

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
whats a safe mixture for these cars ?? 12-13. ?? and what do these #'s mean ?? like 13:1 ?? thanks for your help. and does it mean the lower the # its running RICH and higher-LEAN ??

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
The numbers are a ration of air to fuel. 13:1 means a mixture of 13 parts air to one part fuel. The lower the first number, the richer (more fuel vs air) the mixture. Running to "lean" (high air to fuel ratio) can cause the combustion chamber to run hot which leads to pre-ignition. This can hammer rod bearings, piston skirts and rings.

In a naturally aspirated combination the ratio is not near as critical as when using nitrous or blower applications. Unless the engines compression ratio is running close to the limit for the type of fuel you use, I wouldnt be to concerned as long as your 13.2:1 or lower. Tuners generally look for 12.8:1 - 13.2:1 on our Cobras. Although I've seen many run higher, I wouldnt reccomend it.

I've had a couple dyno runs as high as 14:1!! But there was no pinging (pre-ignition) so it wasnt the end of the world.

Todd

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I like to see my A/F between 11.8:1 and 12.5:1. I am not as comfortable as you are going any leaner than that.

Tucker

Originally posted by Hissman
I like to see my A/F between 11.8:1 and 12.5:1. I am not as comfortable as you are going any leaner than that.
I know where your coming from, but that's over safe. 12.5-13 is ideal for power on a N/A car

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by Tucker
I know where your coming from, but that's over safe. 12.5-13 is ideal for power on a N/A car

yah mine is between 12.5-13.0 throughout the whole range....13.0 is fine for an n/a car....

Users who are viewing this thread